You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dance length dress for freestyle?  (Read 5441 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Dance length dress for freestyle?
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
I have a cute dress that I like better than all of my skating dresses (2 total lol), but it goes just 1" above the knee, more like dance length and not freestyle length.

So what's the problem with spinning and jumping in dance length dresses? It's not long enough to trip over in sit spin position, maybe a little more air resistance in upright spinning?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Dance length dress for freestyle?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »
There is no prescribed skirt length.  As long as you have practiced in the dress and are comfortable, wear what you'd like.   In addition to sit spins, lunges can be a problem with a very long skirt- my synchro dress was made wrong and it was near my ankle (so much longer than the dress you are talking about), and I had to grab it on lunges to make sure it didn't catch in my neighbors blade (never did).  I think that triple jumps would be hard in dance dresses, but it shouldn't effect singles.

Alissa Czisny, for example, often skates in skirts much longer than typical freestyle skirts.  She had one that was bias cut and was below the knee on one side.
These are all clearly not dance dresses, as they don't have the typical full skirts, or fringe skirts, etc.  But they have long skirts"
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Z95eQdJ7nA4/TUJq9a6WpiI/AAAAAAAAAJA/SM9wPNSNDBg/s400/Alissa%2BCzisny%2B11N.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Alissa+Czisny+Figure+Skating+Championships+wPLkhvq90BRl.jpg  <-- I remember this one being scary in sit spins, I was nervous for her...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »
Thanks Skittl, I remember Alissa's long skirt too. With really slow sit spins it may be a problem but I would not worry for her on spin speed. I also skated in longer dresses in Nutcracker, like 3" below the knee or something, not a problem at all except no sit spins. (Ankle length would kill me for sure though)

Shorter length shows the knee action better, but I imagine judges need to see the knees of ice dancers too so it cannot be a major problem.

Freestyle dresses must be shorter for a reason? Other than... look at my skater thighs!!  ;D 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »
I went back and watched her video- and it wasn't the sit spin that made me nervous- it was her footwork.  She kept almost kicking her skirt, and I worried it would catch her toepick... 

I think freestyle dresses are shorter just due to fashion.  They weren't when skating started, and then they got shorter and shorter.  Elite athletes set the fashion trends, and they look fantastic in the tiny skirts.  They also really help movement- things like big spirals, aren't hindered by too much fabric, and rotation in big jumps.  For the average adult skater, that just doesn't matter.

Dancers need to follow the look of ballroom, and while they spin, they aren't doing multiple revolution jumps- plus, you don't see as many giant skirts (still some, but I think they are trending shorter and simpler) in free dance where they are doing the super flexibility moves. The big dresses seem reserved for waltzes!

Except for a slightly fuller fringe, this dress from Maia Shibutani looks more like a freeskate dress than a dance one to me! http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Alex+Shibutani+2012+ISU+World+Figure+Skating+WOhiPM2dPKMl.jpg

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »
my synchro dress was made wrong and it was near my ankle (so much longer than the dress you are talking about), and I had to grab it on lunges to make sure it didn't catch in my neighbors blade (never did).  

This is actually against the rules in USFS competition (I know your team was ISI) - it's specified that the skirts of synchro dresses must not be below the top of the calf.

I did an artistic number a few years ago in a traditional ethnic costume that had a very full knee-length skirt, including a ruffled petticoat like you'd wear for square dancing.  It was big, heavy, and had a lot of drag in spins.  I managed to jump and spin in it, but definitely practiced in it a lot.  So it can be done, but there's no way you could do a serious freestyle program in something like that.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »
This is actually against the rules in USFS competition (I know your team was ISI) - it's specified that the skirts of synchro dresses must not be below the top of the calf.

Interesting.  I checked, and the photos make it look midcalf, so not quite as long as I thought.  But it was meant to be knee length, as that is where most of the team's dresses hit (a few were above a few were below- like I said mine was made wrong, it was ordered a year later).  If there was a rule for ISI, we probably would have cut it, but after spending a small fortune on a dress, I didn't want to cut it, so I could resell if I wanted to.

My main point was it is possible to skate in a long dress, but there are a few things I'd be wary of.  I wouldn't do a sit spin in that dress for sure.  I've done jumps, so single jumps with a long skirt aren't a problem.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 05:22:07 PM »
Camel spins can be awkward depending on your entry; catch foot spins, etc.  Or a death drop. Anything where you have a risk of catching the blade in the skirt. Depending on the weight of the material and how "full" the skirt it, it can also get tangled up in legs on jumps. Depending on your takeoff on the lutz, the skirt can be dragging on the ice.

Aesthetically, having a lot of material swirling around the legs is distracting for judges and evaluators who aren't used to having it as part of the freeskate picture.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 06:54:55 PM »
I would shorten it a little, personally.. a lot of the older FS skaters at my rink tend to wear longer length dresses for FS, but they're only 2-3" longer than a normal... so it's not that noticeable, but if they were as long as dance skirts they'd probably stand out and not in a good way.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »
I plan to wear the dress at fun occasions like exhibitions, not for testing. Based on observations so far it should be ok!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »
Exhibition costumes in general seem to be different from the standard freestyle look.  Just practice in whatever you plan to wear, and you'll be great.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 09:55:38 PM »
Another reason my cute dress won't be used for testing is because it's bright red, I think testing "uniform" around here is black? :D

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Another reason my cute dress won't be used for testing is because it's bright red, I think testing "uniform" around here is black? :D

My next dress for testing moves is airbrushed red/orange/yellow  ;D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 11:12:23 PM »
My next dress for testing moves is airbrushed red/orange/yellow  ;D

You have worked your way up to deserve it! Like seniors vs little freshmen in high school?  ;D

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »

I tested in an unadorned red velvet dress.  I also saw an adult test in a gold dress with gold blades and glitter tights.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 06:48:26 PM »
My first moves dress was green. My second black with pink piping.  I won't be doing any other moves.

I will probably test dance in my freeskate costume, unless the black moves dress still.fits, but I think it is too small now.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
I plan to wear the dress at fun occasions like exhibitions, not for testing. Based on observations so far it should be ok!

Well, when I wrote this there was no plan to include a back shoot the duck, now there is one... ???  Just tried the dress on and instead of 1" above, it's actually 1" below the knee :(  Did I shrink an inch or two? Will have to test this dress out tomorrow in public session and figure out whether it's safe to audition in it!!