You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: KT Tape?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
KT Tape?
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:25:34 PM »
Has anyone used this produce for support for skating?  If you used it on your foot or ankle have you used it while skating and did you notice the product while wearing skates?

Different brands are Kinesiotape, Spider Tech etc...

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: KT Tape?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:33:21 PM »
I have, but for taping my knee.  I didn't find it as helpful as I had hoped and the tape tended to try to curl and peel up when putting on tights (and without tights and just wearing pants, same problem, it starts to curl up and come off, at which point it's all but useless)... it became more of a hassle to try to use it than to just seek another alternative.  It works better on my knee when it's uncovered in my experience. 

It might work out better on an ankle, but in that situation, I'd probably be more inclined to use traditional athletic tape.  The thing about KT tape compared to athletic tape is that it's stretchy and elastic, which is good for joints and muscles that need support that isn't possible with athletic tape because it's so restrictive that you lose quite a bit of your range of motion (which is also a benefit of athletic tape, when it's needed)... but that's not as much of an issue on the feet in skates where you range of motion is already restricted. Basically I can't see that there would be as much benefit to KT tape over athletic tape in skates... because you really won't utilize most of the advantages.

Offline scootie12

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
    • My Skating Videos
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:27:11 AM »
Love KT tape. I use it for my groin pull and it certainly helps.

The key with the tape is how you apply it. Certain ways to stretch it out and certain areas to cover are the two major keys. If done right, it will definitely help. I can usually get mine to stay on for a few days, but typically redo every day or every other day.

I use the KT tape pro.
My Skating Practice Channel On YouTube:
www.youtube.com/scootie12

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »
Thanks!  If it doesn't bother her to have it on while wearing skates it might help her feel more confident.

For the KT tape pro, how long do you wear it?  Would it hold up for swimming?  My biggest fear is a re-injury coming out of the pool (no railing, awkward steps or no steps and a ladder).