You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ri-sport RF4 ???  (Read 2350 times)

Offline dandoona1998

• Ice skating is my life :)
  • Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Ri-sport RF4 ???
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
I used to take ice skating lessons when I was 6 but stopped at 9 , I am finally back into skating  and started taking group lessons a month ago (twice a week, each lesson is 1 hour) , in the last month the coach taught us crossovers , lunge ( forward drag ) , dip, shoot the duck,two footed and one footed spin and ofcourse improved our backward and forward stroking . so pretty basic stuff . I still didn't become great at these moves but I'm getting better every lesson  . So I decided to buy my own pair of skates since when you go to practice without having a lesson you don't get figure skates but you get hockey skates so basically I can't practice . When we have a skating lesson we get ri-sport lasers ( old I know ) that are quite old so I thought getting my own pair would be best . the only basic skate they sell in my whole country is riedell 110 but I'm travelling to Malaysia in a month so I searched if they have and pro shop and contacted it and they said the only brand they sell is ri-sport and the only beginners design is the RF4 .now the thing is in my country the riedell 110's are overpriced ( literally 4 times the internet price O_O ) so they are worth $65 but here in my country if you convert it to USD it is $200 O_O while the one in Malaysia (the ri-sport RF4) is priced exactly the same as the internet price which is $400 . so I would be spending more if I buy the ri-sports but I would be spending what they are worth ( i dun know how to explain it ) should I get the ri-sports even though they are a bit expensive ? How long will they last me ? How long does it take to break them in ? Should I get blade guards and soakers and a transpack too ? I KNOW MY QUESTION IS VERY LONG BUT ICE SKATING IN MY COUNTRY IS VERY COMPLICATED LOL !!! thanks

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: Ri-sport RF4 ???
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »
Where are you?

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 06:37:24 PM »
Well fit could be an issue, but are there customs issues in your country that'd not allow you to get skates mailed from USA? I know from US to England it's about $80 to ship a pair of skates EMS, which is a lot, but you'd get a lot better selection here. The only issue is fit, but some shops have you mail them a sheet of paper you trace your feet on, or something to that effect. I know for custom boots, some places make a plaster mold of your foot and make the skate around it. So I don't know too much about Risports (they're not too popular in USA) but if you find out the boots are good, and you can pick them up in Malaysia, then that's great, but if you can get skates ordered from USA or Europe, that'd probably be your best bet, assuming you can get them sized correctly.

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 06:52:34 AM »
I think the OP is somewhere like Isreal? (Sorry if I've got that wrong!)
If I was you, I would buy the Risports on the condition that:
a) you can try them on in various sizes
b) they fit properly - if they don't fit nicely in the shop, they won't on the ice
Also, you've used Risports before.

Some people don't like Risport (just like any other brand) but I've found mine to be well built and they fit my feet.
If you pay a it more for them and don't like them, you could sell them on to others.

I'd get some soakers as they'll help your blade rust-wise.
Guards - it depends what the flooring's like at your rink as guards will protect your blades when walking on hard surfaces and should keep them from going dull due to walking on them.
Transpack - you don't need one, really. I have one but I take another set of clothes to the rink and it was a Christmas present (I wouldn't have bought it for myself as they're expensive!)

Offline dandoona1998

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 07:44:22 AM »
Thanks and btw the store will fit them for me and let me try on sizes until i find the perfect size and I don't want to buy them online . :D

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 09:52:44 PM »
Angelgirls is right - if the boot doesn't fit correctly in the shop, that doesn't magically change as you leave.  Don't be talked into a boot because "it will stretch".  Boots will "ease" a little as you wear them in, and a competent skate tech can "punch out" sore spots (eg ankle bones), but a too-short or too-narrow boot will remain just that.  A common mistake made by new skaters is to buy longer because the correct length is too narrow.  You need the correct length coupled with the correct width.

I'm glad the shop in Malaysia will let you try everything on.  Take lots and lots of time.  I don't know if RF4's are available in different widths.  If the ladies' ones don't fit, don't discount the men's ones; they are built on a different base and might be a different shape.

No brand will fit every foot well.  Risports don't fit my feet at all, yet others like angelgirls love them and couldn't wear the Jacksons I wear.  You say the only "beginner" boot your local shop sells is the Riedell 110.  Do they also carry higher-level boots, in Riedell and/or in other brands?  If they do, I'd also suggest that if it's at all possible, you should go to your local shop and try everything in every available brand which might fit you, even though the model would be too stiff for your level, just to get a feel for which brand will likely fit your foot the best.

Good luck with the new skates! 

Offline chowskates

• Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 11:42:01 PM »
I live in Singapore, and I sell Riedell. I would say that based on the elements you are doing in lesson now, you should not even be considering the Riedell 110 - that is a recreational skate and will not have enough support for you when you start jumps (which it looks like you might pretty soon!). Besides, the blades on the 110 are very basic, and I would recommend my skaters to upgrade when they start spins & jumps.

It was mentioned that some people don't like Risport, and from what I have seen of it, I would personally find it too hard for my liking. Maybe you'll like it, and I won't discount that. Still, if you'd like to make a trip to Singapore I can let you try on some Riedells too.

Offline dandoona1998

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »
I would love to come to Singapore but I can't :( . Thanks anyways ^^  :WS:

Offline chowskates

• Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates