You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Weightlifters here?  (Read 9672 times)

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Weightlifters here?
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »
I've always wished there was a way to spot burn that area...

Spot burning is more or less a myth. One possible thing could be too much cortisol, but it's sorta neither here nor there to determine that unless you went and got labs done. Even then, if you're averaging 27% bodyfat, you'd probably still wanna get to 20ish% and see what it does. Me, I have a bit of a bulge too at 18-20%, guys for "abs" need like 10%. Just is life. I eventually wish to be at 10% or so bodyfat. That'd be nice.

At the gym today, I did find some new cardio I like doing. Flipping over tires! Much more fun than a treadmill or an elliptical. Plus it does give you some good strength gains, too. So cardio+strength, yay.

I do find the look on people's face priceless when people ask what I'm training for and I'm like "oh, figure skating." Completely priceless.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
Re: Weightlifters here?
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »
I've spent a lot of time in pilates working out how to hold the abs in while breathing. A sure sign to the instructor that I'm starting to struggle with this is when I break off the conversation we're having.

But I agree about the layers of fat there. I know my core is relatively strong, but there's still no 6 pack revealing itself.
I can flex my ab muscles and continue to talk normally, so it is possible.  Also, I find that when I do this while skating, I skate  better.  It takes practice, though.  Pilates and dance helps.