You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Least favorite elements for skaters - fun article on IceNetwork  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
I thought this was an interesting article to share with everyone, especially those of us who are 'loop-challenged' like me.  Read on to see what some of your favorite skaters find challenging (loop is mentioned frequently!):  http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120626&content_id=33953484&vkey=ice_news

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Least favorite elements for skaters - fun article on IceNetwork
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »
Quite a few of us at the rink (from those of us doing singles to those doing triples) feel vindicated that we despise loops after hearing Johnny Weir say he hates them so much he even hates the singles.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »
I still dislike the Salchow, I have never been a fan of it and I probably never will be lol ;)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »
I still dislike the Salchow, I have never been a fan of it and I probably never will be lol ;)
Me too - the Double Sal kept me from passing ISI FS6.  Had an axel and a double loop, but the Salchow was a PITA.

Love loops; always have.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »
I'm not a big fan of loops, but I wouldn't say I hate them. I used to hate salchows. And then I met the lutz jump. I think my coach started me working on those so that I'd never complain about salchows again.

I'd also be just fine with sit spins suddenly becoming banned from all competition.

Outside mohawks aren't my favorite, either.

My mom, a 59-year-old alpha level skater, would throw in a vote for forward crossovers.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
Great article!

My least favorite element seems to change with the day.  Loops were never on the list, though they are SO easy to screw up, so I understand why they are up there.

A few things remain consistent: lutzes are my nemesis (I always flutz them), my salchows are wildly inconsistent, and sit spins huuuurt.  Damn old knees ;)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 11:21:05 PM »
Right now my huge dislikes are sit spins (knee issues, it's not a stregth problem at all) and lutzes.. my lutz has been hit/miss for a few months, it has rare days when it's "on" but for the most part I just assume I can't do them and don't stress about it... it will only be a real concern if/when I am aiming to test gold freeskate, but there are other things standing in my way for that one... like passing the requisite moves, and then of course regaining an axel or double :)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who dislikes toe-loops, all the elite skaters are so good at them! I have love/hate relationships with lutzes and salchows- sometimes they're good sometimes they're not- but toe-loop is the only jump that I consistently hate.

"My least favorite element would be combinations with loop jumps," Ross Miner said. "I just feel like I'm lost in space. I try to avoid them. I can do them -- I just don't like doing them."
I love loop combinations! My first double-double combination was loop-loop, and my most consistent was sal-loop. The only thing I dislike more than toe-loops is combinations with toe-loops.