You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dress ideas?  (Read 4944 times)

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
Dress ideas?
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »
Daughter - age 13. Tall with long legs and arms. Gets cold easily so we go for long sleeves. New music is Rondo Veneziano Magico incontro. Daughter thinks she needs a black dress with lots of crystals.

Does this seem to fit the music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xB4alTnt_pA Is hopefully the link.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Dress ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:05:39 PM »
What about adding gold -

I like the black lace over gold and bringing in more gold accents...

There is a nice view of the back on her site....

Anyway I was thinking it's Venice so anything opulent and rich looking would work.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »
How about a long-sleeved purple velvet dress with some floaty material like mesh or georgette for the skirt, maybe in a couple of layers?  And gold as accent would be very pretty and go along with the Venetian theme.

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:24:41 AM »
Great ideas. Hadn't thought of gold and all sounds better than plain black! (Which makes her look far too thin).

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »
What about adding gold -

I like the black lace over gold and bringing in more gold accents...

There is a nice view of the back on her site....

Anyway I was thinking it's Venice so anything opulent and rich looking would work.

That looks like Mao Asada's old dress
http://ic2.pbase.com/g1/75/19875/2/109996139.Fk3ZlwIM.jpg

Actually, the dress Mao wore at the Olympics would go to it too. Obviously not to make the exact copy, but just for inspiration, something similar.
http://www.christophermorris.com/gallery/large/olympicsDay12_02-23-10_15003.jpg

Offline Tennisany1

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »
I wouldn't do black for a 13 year old. I know my 12 y.o. loves black, but her coach will only allow it as an accent. My dd is also tall and thin and you are right about it making them look skinny (and sometime gangly ;) ) A really rich purple would be nice. I've already seen A LOT of black and red at the early simulations. May just be a west coast thing, but I'm making a new dress to replace a red and black one my dd has grown out of and we're not using that colour combination again.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 03:38:18 PM »
The color combination that comes to my mind as the music is speaking to me is cream or very pale yellow for the main body color, and gold and light green for the accent colors.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 03:05:29 PM »
The program isn't 100% finished which gives me a breather. The child still wants black! Hope the coaches talk sense into her. (She does MIF tests in a plain black dress - not a good look on somebody skinny). I also wondered about lighter colours.....

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 04:37:50 PM »
Well - daughter had her way and chose black - luckily with some purple. It is a lovely dress although wouldn't have been my first choice. Coach wants more crystals which terrifies me as convinced I could spoil the dress. Also talk of sleeves (which I would pay somebody to do) but given reasonable price of dress it wouldn't be too much of a hardship. Now her mission is to get coach to change double-double to lutz-toe rather than toe-toe. Plus she's been on patch ice editing her jump entries.....I'll step aside gracefully. (She has got herself in trouble for this before - changing spirals, changing spins - she says its brilliant that its the same name no matter what the combination spin and happily working out the elements for entry - hope coach back from holiday before we send out the forms).

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 04:56:47 PM »
Gorgeous dress.

I would be scared to add more crystals too- can you just outline the areas that already have them to add more sparkle?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 05:09:34 PM »
Be very, very 'ware about "changing spins". Yes, they are the same CODE,but, with the new regulations regarding how bullets are awarded,you could seriously mess yourself up. For example, one of the first spins in my first kid's program has to have every rev held below the 8 count, as, they need that 8 count later in the program for a bullet on a different spin.  The one variation on an upright is in the 3rd spin; it it was in the first spin, we wouldn't be able to use it later, etc etc etc. Planning out spins is an art form. We have a TS reviewing all of the spins to ensure that the bullets are maximized.

Sorry, OTT from the original, but had an "eek" moment when I read your comment. 

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »
If I did outline the design should it be with AB or plain? I've seen a beautiful colour called volcano....

I agree Sk8tmum (knowing so little about skating I'm not sure I quite understand other than complex rules which are tricky). Skater child has been shouted at (at a competition as she has left the ice) , reminded - just as about to go and do competition. She still likes to try and have a go at changing things without coach noticing. Parents from our rink always sat up when she competed wondering just what different thing she might do. Sometimes its choosing a different variation of sit spin (because she feels like it) or changing type of spirals or changing jump entries. She hasn't done much competing the last year (injuries etc) and I had hoped she had grown out of this. I'm refusing to send off the competition forms until coach has checked it - just in case she has been too liberal with her element changes and to avoid me looking like a bad parent.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
If I did outline the design should it be with AB or plain? I've seen a beautiful colour called volcano....

I agree Sk8tmum (knowing so little about skating I'm not sure I quite understand other than complex rules which are tricky). Skater child has been shouted at (at a competition as she has left the ice) , reminded - just as about to go and do competition. She still likes to try and have a go at changing things without coach noticing. Parents from our rink always sat up when she competed wondering just what different thing she might do. Sometimes its choosing a different variation of sit spin (because she feels like it) or changing type of spirals or changing jump entries. She hasn't done much competing the last year (injuries etc) and I had hoped she had grown out of this. I'm refusing to send off the competition forms until coach has checked it - just in case she has been too liberal with her element changes and to avoid me looking like a bad parent.

AB crystal. Volcano looks lovely in jewellery, no so much on the ice.

Seriously, unless your kid is Patrick Chan who can seemingly run the numbers as he skates (and even he defers to the choreo) she's going to lose out by changing stuff up.  It's not just illegal elements, or missed elements, it's also maximizing your points.  If your kid decides "hey! I'm going to do this back sit variation again because it's my favorite" - instead of the one that was choreo'd - she may lose a level.  Jump entries = +GOE gained or lost.  Spirals - there are rules around how the spirals need to be done and when and how.  Frankly, my kid would be removed by the coach and choreo from the ice and would not be sent to any competitions if that sort of thing was happening. Having input along the lines of working collaboratively with the choreo on stuff is good - but, if your kid is competing at the level of 2Lz/2T, then, she's likely at a reasonably high level, where maximizing points, levels, +GOE and skating skills are critical for success.

But, maybe she's a Lori Nicholls in the making and can maximize points herself; if so, then, God Bless her and hope she does well :) 

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 06:44:38 AM »
I'm not sure she maximises levels. Once penalised for illegal element (can't remember what - it was a jump or something) and another time did get a lower level on spin than expected.....There was some spiral thing where it wasn't counted because she didn't hold it long enough - it was such a complicated position they counted it from when position was stable. I wish the coaches would deal with it. She is my ADHD-type kid and can be impulsive. It always looks very beautiful (what she does) but....guess she needs to learn. I'm taking her elements form to the coach tonight. (Her rink unfortunately has rapid turnover of coaches which has been problematic).