You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Music Selection  (Read 2193 times)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Music Selection
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:57:01 AM »
I'm struggling to find music for a new free program. My last choice has been vetoed by the coach so I'm back to searching again. I don't really know what I'm looking for.
However, I found this and really like it:

I don't know what it is. Anyone have any ideas. And if not this something similar?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Music Selection
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:05:40 AM »
I don't know what it is. Anyone have any ideas. And if not this something similar?

I don't know either.

But SoundHound on Android alleges it's PM's Love Theme by Craig Armstrong...
from Love Actually [bonus track #1], released Nov 11, 2003

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 03:17:42 AM »
Thanks for that. Gives me somewhere to start. My coach has someone using that track at the moment, so I'm not allowed that one. I'm thinking something similar.
Any ideas anyone?

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 07:25:17 AM »
That sounds really familiar! It reminds me a lot of some of the music from Practical Magic & Forrest Gump.  Alan Silvestri composed music from some of these.

Would any of the identifying music type apps help to identify it? Can't say I've ever tried one so have no idea.

... Or can you try emailing Basingstoke skating club to see if anyone can remember what the music is?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:09:30 AM »
That sounds really familiar! It reminds me a lot of some of the music from Practical Magic & Forrest Gump.  Alan Silvestri composed music from some of these.

Would any of the identifying music type apps help to identify it? Can't say I've ever tried one so have no idea.

... Or can you try emailing Basingstoke skating club to see if anyone can remember what the music is?

I knew it was from Love Actually (someone at Basingstoke remembered that much), but didn't know which track and hadn't found it on my searches yesterday. I think JJane has the right one though (need my home computer to check as I'm not blasting it out around the office).

Thanks for the Practical Magic and Forrest Gump ideas. I've not looked at those yet. Hopefully there's something there I can use. I'm beginning to think that despite hating the compulsory dance music, I like the fact that it's compulsory so I don't have to go around and find it. There's just too much music in the world and I don't know where to start.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »
Yep I think JJane has it right...  ;D

I have no idea on music... I'd love to start getting a free dance program together later this year, but I have no idea where to start on the music front! Things I like, tend to be a) not skating friendly b) too fast or c) need someone a lot more graceful than me!

It was much easier as a kid... my coach had very definite ideas so she decided. :P

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 02:09:21 PM »
Yep I think JJane has it right...  ;D

I have no idea on music... I'd love to start getting a free dance program together later this year, but I have no idea where to start on the music front! Things I like, tend to be a) not skating friendly b) too fast or c) need someone a lot more graceful than me!

It was much easier as a kid... my coach had very definite ideas so she decided. :P

My free dance was a lot easier than my free. I picked my dance style, spoke to someone at the rink about it, and she produced a CD full of dances in that style. I gave that to my dance coach and miraculously she picked one I liked. Also happened to be the one I'd found previously on Youtube. I just wish I could do that for my free music.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »
Does this work for a free program?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »
I am of no help when it comes to music selection, sorry. Hope you have decided on program music since?

This video is so inspiring, I'd like to have even a tiny faction of her gracefulness. The music should be quite skateable too, no?