You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dance partner search options?  (Read 2484 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Dance partner search options?
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »
I am not seeking dance partner at the moment, just wondering what options are there for recreational / competitive adult dancers.

- Are lower level adults skaters actively using icepartnersearch.com? Under search the skating levels seem to be juv. and up?
- Icedancers yahoo group has a database but honestly not quite active. There are 20 records listed currently.
- Local network and word of mouth. I think at least in Chicago, male skaters in any type of skates get recruited at some point ;)

Could we have a sticky thread in one of the private forums, that lists basic info like gender, height, city, approx. level, tests passed, and the maximum distance willing to travel? It may as well attract new members to the boards?

Ideas? Pros and cons?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Dance partner search options?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:41:17 PM »
I found my partner through the data base on the yahoo group, Ice Dancers On Line.  I think word of mouth is more usual, though.  Attending ice dance weekends is another way of getting known in the ice dance community.  It's really frustrating, I know - there are so few male skaters in general, and ice dancers in particular.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »
Your idea for a thread sounds good.  It is so hard to find a partner.  I have known many people who started skating with people because they met at dance weekends.  Word of mouth or just sheer coincidence (i.e. we are both skating at the same place so let's dance) is probably most common. 

The most difficult thing I find is finding a partner of comparable ability. I don't mind teaching someone how to dance but it's so nice to skate with someone with whom you can just dance and not worry about positioning and steps.  (ok I sound snobby but I've been feeling good about my skating lately and I guess i'm ready for a challenge)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »
Attending competitions and scoping the solo dance groups is another method

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 12:59:58 AM »
But do ladies let guys skate solo? Lol I'm kidding. Honestly, talk as many guys into the system as one possibly can, and someone eventually benefits. The question is how to promote ice dance to guys.

Ok I digress. More thoughts on partner search? If you are currently seeking partner, would you be concerned posting about yourself on the internet?

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:03:27 AM »
But do ladies let guys skate solo? 

I once competed in a solo dance category, the one other competitor was a guy! ARGH!!
I joked that we should dance together, rather than compete against each other.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 07:31:07 AM »
I've competed several times against guys in solo dance, even multiple guys in the same event.

I'm not looking for a partner, but I'd be pretty careful about posting personal information on line, so it would really depend on how the site hosts & displays it.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
Scoping partners of comparable ability? Not a problem.

I have to scope for a partner of a comparable height.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 09:50:46 AM »
Ice partner search and Yahoo group both exposes more privacy than I would like publicly. need to find a way to post anonymous contact info while releasing the needed information.

Sample post
Height: 5'2"
City: Los Angeles, CA
travel: within 50 miles
Level: bronze/silver
Tests: bronze passed
Goal: compete at AN

Setting up a gmail alias account and let it forward to one's primary email is very easy. But how to update/remove and post anonymously?

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:52:53 PM »
Ice partner search and Yahoo group both exposes more privacy than I would like publicly. need to find a way to post anonymous contact info while releasing the needed information.

Setting up a gmail alias account and let it forward to one's primary email is very easy. But how to update/remove and post anonymously?

Put a false or truncated name on ice partner search?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »
Put a false or truncated name on ice partner search?

I looked at the "new skater bio" page and the skills section assumes the skater actively competes, and the levels range from juvenile to senior. It's clearly NOT targeting at adult skaters.

Maybe it would be nice to contact the site administrator and suggest them add adult / recreational levels? ;)

A publicly editable Google Spreadsheet maybe?