You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: SP Teri Skates- Advice needed on size  (Read 6895 times)

Offline aeschultzlong

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
SP Teri Skates- Advice needed on size
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
Greetings, I am new to these boards and am hoping someone might offer some advice.  I am a former competitive skater...now married and a mom.  I do not skate anymore other then recreationally with my kids.  I have an older pair of SP Teri boots, size 6B with blades (might try to sell...decent condition).  After having kids, my feet have grown and I can hardly stand to wear my skates (which I love) anymore.  I have found a used pair of SP Teri skates, size 7AAA, as I refuse to buy cheap skates.  In normal shoes, I wear a 7.  Does anyone believe these would fit my feet...as I would like an opinion or two before I buy.

I greatly appreciate any feedback.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: SP Teri Skates- Advice needed on size
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »
Welcome to skatingforums!

After I had twins, my feet grew in width more than size. 

The used skates you're looking at are much more narrow in width than your old skates.
You were wearing a regular/medium width (B) and the ones you're considering are three widths smaller: sizing goes (wide-narrow) C, B, A, AA, AAA.

There is an SP-Teri sizing chart here: http://www.usaskates.com/spterisizingchart.html
Maybe that will help a little?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline aeschultzlong

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
Thanks for your reply!  I was a little afraid of that.  As I have been out of the skating world for sometime...do you know of any place I can look for a good pair of used skates?  I live in ND and choices here are slim.  I assume I would need a 7B in the SP Teri brand...have never worn anything else but not necessarily opposed either.

Again, thanks for your help.  Really appreciate it.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
My first pair of freestyle skates was from Rainbo Sports.  I was able to fax tracings of my feet and they recommended some.  I had to pay extra in shipping, as I didn't like the first pair, so they were sent back, and then the pair I did end up with was a little too tight, so I didn't keep them long, but I think a lot of that had to do with me not really knowing what I was looking for.  If you've skated before, you should know what to expect.

Do you have a club nearby?  Maybe someone can tell you who fits/sharpens the skates for those skaters?  A lot of the former competitive skaters at our rink really looked down on Jackson's as real skates, until they finally broke down and used their coach discount to get some - apparently the quality has improved a lot from years and years ago, and they are good "real" skates, that are readily available.

Offline aeschultzlong

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
I will check that out, thanks.  And yes, there is a local skating club here but I am not yet sure where they get their skates.  Good idea to check on.   :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »
Some pro shops offer used skates on consignment, but you have to speak to the manager, not the desk clerk - our shop's manager keeps a list in an under-counter notebook.  At another rink, one of the skating coaches measures and orders skates for the skaters, so ask around as Skittl suggested.

I wonder if you might be able to get the skates stretched?  The pro shop might have the SP-Teri measuring stick if they sell that brand.  Then you could ask if they can stretch the old ones enough and find out what your current size/width is for a different pair.

Good luck.  While I still adore my Klingbeil's, I never had a pair as great for my skating as my first pair, which I sadly outgrew.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »
The pro shop might have the SP-Teri measuring stick if they sell that brand.  

I got the impression from the post that this skater didn't have access to a pro shop.  If there is one- that would definitely be my first stop!  I'm not lucky enough to live in an area (state?) with one.  For us, coaches are often boot distributors, or we wait for vendors at competitions, or make trips to Chicago, Omaha, or Minneapolis (or further...).

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »
Many people who want used skates don't even think about checking with the pro shop for fear of being talked into new skates.  (Which isn't always the worst thing in the world.)  It was constructive suggestion she might not have considered and if it's not an option, maybe it'll help someone else who reads the thread.  *shrugs*

At one rink where I skated, they didn't have a pro shop in house. All the skaters went to a storefront pro shop about 2 miles away and the fitter was outstanding, but you had to ask around to find out about his shop.

Skittl, I'm so sorry you live in an area that doesn't have a good fitter or pro shop, nor a lot of rink/club options, given how devoted you are to the sport.  I had to travel up to an hour to get skates sharpened, so I have some small idea of how frustrating it must be, although I do envy you skating in a mall rink.  I liked that experience in Dallas.!  You have my sympathy.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline aeschultzlong

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »
You ladies give good options.  We do not have a pro-shop  :(.  I live in Fargo, ND.  I will try that Rainbo store and see if there are other options.  Thanks again.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:25:10 PM »

Skittl, I'm so sorry you live in an area that doesn't have a good fitter or pro shop, nor a lot of rink/club options, given how devoted you are to the sport.  I had to travel up to an hour to get skates sharpened, so I have some small idea of how frustrating it must be, although I do envy you skating in a mall rink.  I liked that experience in Dallas.!  You have my sympathy.

You know, we actually have a lot skating available to us- it's not that bad unless you want new boots :) (or a test session).
My sharpener is 30 minutes from me, and she did the fit for my current boots, luckily, Jackson's work for me.  And for those who don't it is only  3-4 hours drive to bigger cities.  North Dakota is way bigger than Iowa, so I imagine aeschultzlong  would have a harder time finding a good place to drive to  (though Minneapolis may be an option).

The mall rink has its ups and downs.  At least I don't get nervous about people watching at competitions :)

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 01:29:34 PM »
I use Rainbo all the time, and have been happy with them, but have also had good dealings with The Winning Edge in Omaha, which is closer to you.

I live about an hour away from Skittl, and we don't have a pro shop, either.  Rainbo sends their Rainbo2U service out to us every 6 weeks or so, which has been extremely helpful.  They spend the day, do sharpenings and fittings, and bring along a selection of skating necessities.  We could mail order those, but it's so much more convenient to pick up laces, tights, etc. when they're here.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »
If you wear a 7 street shoe, a 7 SP teri is probably going to be too long.. and if your current boots are 6B and too tight, the AAA width is not going to do you any favors - I would expect that your feet, like most, are much wider after having kids than before.

I wear a 7.5 in street shoes and the last pair of stock SP Teri's I had was 6B.  Then I had customs (supposedly 6's with a C ball and B heel, but they say 6A in handwriting under the insoles), then I had kids and now I skate in split width 6.5 Jacksons (very wide ones) and am very happy with those. 

I find that both the Jackson and SP Teri sizing charts are pretty accurate if you can measure your feet.

I have an idea for you though, and I'll PM you :)