You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Christmas Gifts and Coaches  (Read 13700 times)

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: Christmas Gifts and Coaches
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »
Wow bunny hop, those cross stitches are gorgeous!

This year dance coach got a clip-on metronome (part of an ongoing joke) and an Itunes card; we passed around the hat for the synchro coach, and got a gift card with the proceeds.

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 08:51:23 AM »
I got my group coach a box of chocolates and my private coach a big chocolate star and a skating pin. If I had unlimited money I would spend more on them as they're both fab :D

My group coach gave me a little skate ornament for the christmas tree, and my private coach a little chocolate reindeer :) Which was very sweet of both of them!

I don't know anyone in the UK who would give their coach a tip for xmas, but we're not as comfortable with tipping in general over here.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 08:58:08 AM »

I don't know anyone in the UK who would give their coach a tip for xmas, but we're not as comfortable with tipping in general over here.

It's not a tip, it's a bonus. In the US you tip people like waiters and hotel maids; you give professionals a bonus. It's a semantic distinction.

Since my coach is a man 30 years my junior, I'm not going to even guess at a gift. No idea at all. 
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 11:20:46 PM »
booze and good chocolate ... seems to be appreciated ... happy yips when it arrives ...

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 04:40:34 AM »
Same here in Australia. And when we were in the UK, we paid the rink for our private lessons and then passed the voucher/receipt to the coach so they could redeem their cut. So a tip would have been weird under those circumstances. And here, we have enough trouble trying to persuade our coach to accept adequate reimbursement for the extra lesson time he often gives us - I can't imagine how he'd react to the concept of a tip!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »
My coach didn't want a christmas gift- he had trouble accepting it, as he already charges quite a bit (it's not a tip... bonus makes more sense.  A tip is something you usually give as services are rendered- a bonus would be year end.)  He told me he wanted a backspin with a crossed leg.

I couldn't find one of those, so I went with starbucks gift card.

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »
See i don't even know the right terminology lol!