You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Programming music playing order for practice ice  (Read 1787 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Programming music playing order for practice ice
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:26:58 PM »
Random thoughts on the running order prompted by mp3 vs CD thread. Since rink policies all differ, it's difficult to have a software or script that works universally.

Suppose there is a rink side computer with a queue application where skaters can sign up for music playing. Rink policy says 3 times per session per skater, skater whose music has not played has priority over someone already played once (or 1 < 2, 2 < 3 etc.), coaches can place one pro call per session that cuts the line. I am making this up, not familiar with music playing at all. What do we need from the software for this hypothetical policy?

1) A list of skaters on ice with music. At check in (paper or electronic) skater MUST indicate whether s/he wants music played (equivalent of handing monitor a CD). Monitor looks up skater's music (actual music file or just name) from application database or manually add new music (file or name). Each skater has a unique number, If skater #024 has more than one progams, then the identifier will be 024A, 024B, ... Program only accepts currently listed identifiers.

2) Session starts with 5-10 minutes warm up where no program music will be played. Skaters go to rink side computer and key in their skater/music identifier. List is sorted by priority from high to none, first time is green in queue (high priority), second time orange (medium priority), third time red (low priority), fourth or more black (no priority).

3) Pro calls. Each coach has a different identifier, when typed in followed by skater/music identifier, it elevates the priority of skater/music as green (or depending on policy to a priority higher than green). Only valid once per session.

4) Monitor sees the live list on their screen and plays music accordingly. Checks off music as played and it dims from the list.

It may even be achievable in Microsoft Access... Query, are you up for it? ;)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Programming music playing order for practice ice
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »
I can think of several problems (e.g., skaters without programs hate it when program monopolize freestyle sessions), but the software would be easy to write. A dozen or two lines of Java.

Do monitors currently have trouble managing current policies?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »
Glad to hear it's not difficult, business opportunity? ;-) not sure how many rinks will buy the idea of two computers or two iPods, but electronics are cheap nowadays. Feasibility evaluation anyone?

To answer query's concern, well skaters will run their programs with or without automated systems. When there is no one in the queue, no music needs to be played...

I never skated on really busy freestyle sessions where skaters and coaches fight over the stereo, but have seen memos regarding the policy and heard about problems in rink rants thread. (oh I heard when rink show approaches, music playing will be in high demand... so maybe it is relevant)

Personally, I just like to see the waiting list displayed somewhere, as it could get confusing when will it be your turn when multiple skaters signal the music monitor in a short period of time, and monitor fails to announce who is the next in line.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »
I think the idea outlined in the opening post could be a cheap alternative to rinkmusic (referenced here), the program can definitely run on its own without a monitor pressing the play button, so there is really just one computer. Should also be easy to find cheap used desktop computers for backups and replace them when they die due to cold.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »
I've never been at a rink with a music monitor. One doesn't even have an ice monitor. You show up and the skinny russian coaches glare at EVERYONE ON THE ICE. (The husband coach is cute though)

People are polite and share. If they aren't, I don't know what happens.

At one rink, the one with the  freestyle that's popular with 5 adult ice dancers and an adult single, if a song gets played over and over again, the adult dancers start 'arm dancing' to it while they skate, chatting and laughing loudly from boredom. Mysteriously, the song doesn't appear for a while that session. Nope, not a plan, just happens.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:12:50 PM »
Well, our monitors both collect $$ and play music, that's why it's hard when skaters are late to the session.

if music playing is automated, then all they need is someone taking care of the ice cost part.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:03:29 PM »
I like the idea especially if you could put everyone's music into an mp3 player and rig the mp3 player to automatically play the list, since we don't have monitors at my rinik. You'd need to have some way of knowing when your music was coming up. At my home rink, I know just about everyone's name, so if the queue was visible and I knew who was before me, it'd be fine. At other rinks, I don't always know names, so someone would have to warn me when I was next.

The biggest issue I have with playing music is finding someone to press play on less crowded sessions. One of the other adults gave me a good idea: put about 10 seconds of silence at the beginning of your practice music so you can push play and have time to get in place. Just make sure to take it out when you burn your music for competition!

I get annoyed when skaters run programs or parts of programs again and again, but as long as there's nobody waiting to go, I can't really fault them for it.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »
put about 10 seconds of silence at the beginning of your practice music

Even better, put some other sound you can use to adjust the volume, then 10 seconds silence.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 12:13:32 AM »
I get annoyed when skaters run programs or parts of programs again and again, but as long as there's nobody waiting to go, I can't really fault them for it.

I'd also understand limiting it to 3 times per session per skater, because of right-of-way issues. On empty publics, if someone runs through a program a lot, I stop actively yielding after about 3 times.