You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Non-Zuca bags?  (Read 10433 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Non-Zuca bags?
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:15:09 AM »
I followed the Zuca bag thread with interest mostly for the non-Zuca options, so maybe they merit their own thread!

The first skate bag I bought is a Transpack on sale. It started to wear a bit after a year of heavy use, but for $19 it was really worth it. I love the mesh side pockets on each side for skates ventilation. And it had a reputation for being "bottomless" which I agree, at times I event carried around a helmet in it!

There is only one pocket in the center compartment of my Transpack, and I keep a small notebook and frequently used stuff in it. Then there are gym shoes, jump rope, a bag for gel pads and another bag for hat, gloves, boot cover, and wrist guards. Stuff less frequently used goes into an oversized pouch. There is still room for change cloths...

I have to weigh the bag someday when it's at full capacity, it is heavy. Not like I ever have to walk much with it though and the wheels feel too cumbersome. I'll probably get another Transpack when this one retires.

What about your current bag and what do you plan to get next? :D

Offline Jennymd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: Non-Zuca bags?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:54:40 AM »
I also use a Transpack Ice bag, I think it's great! It's very practical for me as it's easy to take on the bus and to walk home from the bus stop with.

I like the pockets for each skate on the sides with the vents too, it's very effective. The centre pocket can fit a fair bit as you said, I can store my skate clothes in there if I'm going straight from work to the rink, along with all my usual stuff (Bunga pads, etc).

I've had mine for about a year now but I'll have to replace it soon, as one of the straps is tearing off. I might try repairing it first if I can, otherwise it's not too expensive to buy a new one. It's great value, particularly compared to how expensive Zuca stuff is! :)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »
I had a Jerry's bag for 12 years that I used. It can be carried like a duffle bag or rolled, though when you rolled it god forbid you hit a pebble because it'd topple over. My coach loved the bag though.

When I got my new skates I got a transpack bag and I love it. It really does seem bottomless, I frequently worry that I've lost something in there. At one point I had my jeans and sweatshirt in there, and my basic skills coaching books, my socks, makeup pads for inside my socks, my gloves, a headband, hair ties, a hairbrush, knee pads towel and I'm sure an array of other stuff in there and there was still more that could fit.

The best part about it is I can stuff my purse in there while I'm skating and not worry about someone going through my bag to get it.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 02:12:50 PM »
I use a really old Jansport backpack.  I THINK it might be this model: http://www.jansport.com/js_product_detail.php?cid=1&pid=TDN7 in black.
I have no idea what I paid, it was so long ago- but I found it online for $40ish

What I love the most about it is that it has two main zippered comparments- it helps me sort the stuff our better! And it has 3 other pockets as well.  Plus the back is padded, so when I bike if my blades are poking into my back, it's not too painful :)

I got it in 1996, used it all through high school and through much of college (I tended to use messenger bags in college though). It's been my skate bag for about 5 years.

I did get the zippers replaced once (lifetime warranty) and they also replaced the shoulder straps (I didn't even ask...)
There are small holes in the bottom of the bag that they say is not under warranty coverage, but they have been there for like 10 years, so I'm not concerned!

I'm thinking about getting a transpack (want a zuca, but it doesn't seem the best choice for me- just that it's pretty...) I didn't realize it was a backpack style- a big plus for riding a bike- I thought it was a strap...  I like that the skates have their own compartments,with mesh. My skates reek- so airing them out would be a good thing.  Plus, you can get it on amazon with free shipping (boo- not the color I want).

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »
When I got my new skates I got a transpack bag and I love it. It really does seem bottomless, I frequently worry that I've lost something in there. At one point I had my jeans and sweatshirt in there, and my basic skills coaching books, my socks, makeup pads for inside my socks, my gloves, a headband, hair ties, a hairbrush, knee pads towel and I'm sure an array of other stuff in there and there was still more that could fit.

The best part about it is I can stuff my purse in there while I'm skating and not worry about someone going through my bag to get it.

And this is why I had to switch to a Zuca!   :laugh:  My Transpack just got too darn heavy!  I loved the thing, though, and still have it.  If I had to fly and didn't think the Zuca could go carry on, I'd definitely haul it out of retirement!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 11:23:49 PM »
My Transpack just got too darn heavy! 

Because of the weight I briefly considered rolling duffel bags, then realized they won't store everything I have and still squeeze into the 1.5' x 1' x 1' locker for public sessions... Any recommendations?

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:46:01 AM »
I use a rolling suitcase, a small one...not sure about the dimensions...approximately 1' wide by 1.3~' tall by .5' deep. Holds everything I need, and it has wheels and a telescopic handle...and it was $19  :D It's just plain black, nothing fancy at all, but I bought it to do a job, not for funsies, as my brother would say.

(Also, it has the added bonus that if I fly somewhere, it easily fits the carry-on baggage allowances and sizes.  :D Although it did lose a foot at Melbourne Airport.)
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 08:37:45 PM »
Here's a skate bag from L. L. Bean. It's good for people with ladylike skates. It looks functional, especially for someone just starting out who hasn't a bag full of the detritus that's in mine.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50856?feat=2-SR0

And there's also this one, that is sort of transpacky.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 09:24:01 PM »
Here's a skate bag from L. L. Bean. It's good for people with ladylike skates. It looks functional, especially for someone just starting out who hasn't a bag full of the detritus that's in mine.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50856?feat=2-SR0

And there's also this one, that is sort of transpacky.

We have had that LL Bean skate bag, and it's previous version, for years. It holds a huge amount of stuff: a pair of skates (size 9 Ladies), plus gloves, skateguards, soakers, chamois, a pair of skating pants, all in the main compartment; the fold over side pocket easily holds CDs, spare laces, spare gloves, spare tights ... and it wears like iron. The strap is really well balanced, and my guys love the bags.  The material is super tough, and still looks like new after years ... we had it monogrammed, and it looks really spiffy.  The price is phenomenal for the quality.

edited to add: My DD brought up that the padding inside it makes it a lot more comfortable to carry and safer for the skates inside, and that there is a divider inside so her skates aren't banging against each other and getting marked up. She is also, apparently, able to get her jacket in there too with her pants - and her UltraCrash pads fit into the side pocket nicely along with the other detrius she carries, like her iPod and her cellphone, and that the sidepocket has got organizer compartments to put stuff into nicely.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »
I own a small suitcase that I settled for as a skate bag.  It's just okay, I really miss my old bag, which was much more functional.

Well, I'm pulling old faithful out of the garage because my suitcase wheels are kaput.  I didn't notice that the 360° wheels had gotten junk wrapped around the axels.  Think of what happens to the beater brush on an upright vacuum.  If I had noticed the wheels weren't turning right, I could have used a seam ripper to clear them out, but no.  I just dragged it along, think it was just overloaded.  On one wheel, all the rubber has peeled off!  Two other wheel have flat spots.

I'm going contact the manufacturer and ask if I could buy replacement wheels since I didn't see any other bags I liked in the usual stores tonight.  In the meantime, I'll be styling a cool look with my old, dirty, frayed skate bag.

I think I'll add this to the "Equipment Maintenance" topic, to hopefully save someone else some trouble.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 12:25:31 AM »
I also have a Transpack. As everyone else has said, it holds heaps of stuff, whilst still being practical to carry around. It's a really good design, and I'll happily buy another one if mine ever dies. Apart from a slight bit of wear near the top under the zip, it shows no signs of needing replacing, and I've had it for a few years now.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 01:24:02 AM »
My old transpack has retired. I think it was a little premature because 1) I carried tons of heavy stuff and 2) I tended to use a single strap instead of both.

Right now I am using a plain old gym bag with pockets on each end. Amazingly it handled things well and I'll hopefully stick it out with this one.

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »
I want a Zuca bag, but those things are so expensive!

At the moment, I use a Riedell backpack. It also has wheels and a handle, and I find it useful because I can carry it or wheel it. It also holds everything I need like skates, gloves, hair ties, etc. Here is what my bag looks like: http://www.ice.riedellskates.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=Pullman-Skate-Bag

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 12:00:04 PM »
I like the look of the Transpacks, but I need a bag with wheels.  I don't like the look of the Zuca bags - they're too trendy for me.  I'm old.  :)

Right now I'm using an 18" rolling suitcase that I bought at Christmas Tree Shop for $15.  My skates *just barely* fit inside, but the outside pockets hold gloves and CDs.  It's look ing a bit battered now, though.  I just haven't seen anything I like better.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »
I've gone to 10 stores and can't find anything better.  Got a response from the company saying that they'll send me replacement wheels for free, but not until late September.  I've already decided to go back to my old bag.  When I get the new wheels, I'll fix this one and use it for something else since it's not durable enough for my purposes.

In fairness, I use it more as a rolling locker than a skate bag.  I have a lot of documents and equipment in it as well as my skates and guards.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 12:45:12 PM »
I don't like rolling luggage bags and prefer back packs so I can take it on the ice and put it in a hockey box for safe keeping.  So, I bought this eBags ski boot bag for my skating needs.  It's less than $20, high quality, and seriously bottomless.  It easily carries my towel, water bottle, guards and soakers, a jacket, my Ribcap, gloves, wrist guards, and still has a ton of room.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/etech-boot-bag/221982?productid=10154593

I have this one for my ski boots and gear.  It's the next level up and less than $30 with many pockets and cool features:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-boot-bag/221981?productid=10154590

Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »
  I used to have a Heys case but the handle broke and their customer service is horrible. 

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
The PT would have kittens about my using a backpack or shoulder bag, given the contents' weight.  

When I used to skate, a duffel or shoulder bag was fine, but now it's just not functional enough for my needs.
I bring a lot more to the rink than you do since I use training tools for skaters.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
I went with an American Tourister iLite DLX Boarding Bag, now on clearance at amazon and ebags. $25 as of August 10,2011 at Amazon.

I holds my skates and a jacket and accumulation of stuff with a little (but not too much) room to spare. The net pockets on the end are nice for stuff like gloves, wipers, etc to go and dry out--or a water bottle.  U shaped opening so it's easy to get skates in and out. Hard bottom so it doesn't sag from the weight of skates, with rubber feet to keep the bottom off the damp and reduce wear. The inside is lined with light colored material so it's easy to find stuff.  The front pocket holds many many CDs. Light weight, but sturdy, and stands on its own (doesn't flop over when there's no skates in side.

The replacement for this bag is the American Tourister Crescent. It looks almost identical, except the net pockets have been replaced with zippered pockets.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »
I have the A&R Deluxe Skating bag, purchased from Amazon. I really like it. It's sturdy and nice-looking. It's got three zippered pockets--one for each skate, plus a smaller one for your stuff. The smaller pocket won't hold a helmet or anything large, but it holds all my gloves, a hand towel, wallet, keys, blade guards, etc. There's a little velcro pocket on the outside that holds my iPhone, and there's a mesh pocket for a water bottle, as well. There's extra room in each of the skate pockets, so you could potentially stuff a small jacket in there.

My only complaint is that there's a cheaper version of this bag that our pro-shop sells. Looks identical, except it doesn't have the outer pockets. As a result, there are a few girls at my rink who have similar bags. I've put a luggage tag on mine, but I always worry that someone will accidentally walk off with it.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »
I went with an American Tourister iLite DLX Boarding Bag, now on clearance at amazon and ebags. $25 as of August 10,2011 at Amazon.

I briefly considered it, then realized my current bag is twice its size and still fully packed. lol

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »
I briefly considered it, then realized my current bag is twice its size and still fully packed. lol

I have a bigger bag that is now just a skating junk bag. I found I really don't need all that stuff going to and from the rink.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
Do you guys with transpacks have the Transpack Ice or the larger one intended for rollerblades and larger skates?

I have an Ice, along with a lot of kids at my rink. It's beginning to rival Zuca in popularity. But I don't find it to be particularly roomy. Mine currently has my skates, my jacket, 3 pairs of knit gloves, a hand towel for drying my skates, two pairs of soakers, one pair hard guards, arm warmers, leg warmers and then my music, band-aids and other odds and ends in the small inside pocket.

Now that I write all that out, it seems like quite a bit, but that feels like the bare minimum I'd want to carry around on a regular basis.

I often change clothes at the rink or at work before leaving for the rink, but I have to use a separate duffel for that. My duffel is one I was given at a competition, and I also use it as my gym bag.

I used to use my Jansport backpack from college for skating, but I wanted something I could fit my skates into without feeling like I was stuffing them in there (and potentially breaking them down a little faster.) I also wanted to protect them from rain, especially since my rink doesn't have a parking lot and I often walk a block or more to get there.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 05:59:23 PM »
I used to even fit a helmet into the transpack in addition to misc. safety gear. Can't remember the bag model though.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
Bigger one:

Skates, Skate guards, jacket, running shoes, chamois, book, spare pants, spare tights, and when necessary helmet.  Still with lots of room.