You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boot sizing/foot question - fsf  (Read 5802 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Boot sizing/foot question - fsf
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:38:36 PM »
Whimsical
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Title: Boot sizing/foot question
Posted: 01-13-2010, 02:47 PM

Hi Everyone! I'm new here .. well, newly registered. I've been lurking for several weeks now. To make a bit of an introduction - I'm Jaimye and I skate in Texas. I've been skating off and on since I was 11 and I'll be 21 in one month and one day! I'm getting back into skating this month after a few years off the ice and I'm really excited!

Now onto my question, to make this post relative to this forum -

I've always, ALWAYS worn Risports and I LOVE them. However, I've never been professionally fitted. My first question is does anyone know of some GOOD shops in Texas that fits Risports? I don't think there are any, but hey .. you guys may know more than me!

My second question is to Risport wearers/people who are knowledgeable in Risport fitting: I have kind of a weird foot :/ I have a wide ball-of-the-foot area and a really narrow heel. My last pair of RF2s were a size 26 C. My 'width' measurement is in fact a 'C' but they were much too wide in the heel. My heels always raise up when jumping and during things like camels and such. Obviously, that's not good! I also dance Ballet and have this problem with pointe shoes. Wide metetarsal, narrow heel! My ballet teacher recently told me that my metetarsal area is 'collapsible,' which means it can scrunch in and be more narrow. She had me get one width DOWN and it was amazing the difference it made. It squeezed my metetarsal into the narrower width without being uncomfortable and kept the shoe on my heel!

So, I'm pretty much just wondering if this logic might also apply to skates? I know pointe shoes and skates are not very similar for the most part , but if my metetarsal area is in fact collapsible, would it be okay to try one width down to accommodate my narrow heel? Or would this be a mistake?

Also, I'm not in a position to have customs made just yet, maybe in a year or so, but not right now. So I really need a stock boot to work, if possible! Thanks in advance for the help!

-J  

sk8tmum
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 01-13-2010, 02:56 PM

Doesn't sound like Risports fit you properly; you might want to find a different make and try it. A similar problem for my kid was resolved with Riedell, which offers a split width; however, they fit narrow, and thus might not help you out. You can, though, get radically different forefoot/heel sizes if you order them from the company itself, but, that would need a fitter!

It's impossible to figure out "what" will fit you unless you actually get someone to put them on your feet! Sadly, I could help you out in Ontario to find a great fitter ... but, Texas ... sigh.  

Clarice

Posted: 01-13-2010, 04:32 PM

My forefoot is wide compared to my heel because of bunions. I was in a stock Jackson boot - very comfortable in the forefoot, but too wide in the heel. I'm currently in a split-width SPTeri, which is a great fit for my narrow heel. I do miss the toe-room of the Jacksons, though. In either case, I think you'll need a split width, and need to be professionally measured. If you can't find a local fitter, you might look for big competitions in your area and see whether any fitters are there as vendors.  

sk8tegirl06

Posted: 01-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical  
I've always, ALWAYS worn Risports and I LOVE them. However, I've never been professionally fitted. My first question is does anyone know of some GOOD shops in Texas that fits Risports? I don't think there are any, but hey .. you guys may know more than me!

My second question is to Risport wearers/people who are knowledgeable in Risport fitting: I have kind of a weird foot :/ I have a wide ball-of-the-foot area and a really narrow heel. My last pair of RF2s were a size 26 C. My 'width' measurement is in fact a 'C' but they were much too wide in the heel. My heels always raise up when jumping and during things like camels and such. Obviously, that's not good! I also dance Ballet and have this problem with pointe shoes. Wide metetarsal, narrow heel! My ballet teacher recently told me that my metetarsal area is 'collapsible,' which means it can scrunch in and be more narrow. She had me get one width DOWN and it was amazing the difference it made. It squeezed my metetarsal into the narrower width without being uncomfortable and kept the shoe on my heel!
-J

You sound a lot like me. I skated until about 12 and then picked up again at 18. I have only ever been in Risports as well, partly due to European coaches. If you have always been in them and never had a problem, I'm of the camp "if it ain't broke don't fix it." No advice about Texas boot fitters, as I'm from an area with oodles of boot fitters. I have never heard of the collapsible metatarsal idea before but I might have that too. My Risports are 24.5 (I think-in to get sharpening right now), which I believe converts to 5.5 or 6, but my shoe size is more along the lines of 8 to 8.5 wide. So there is no way I should fit into these but I do. A good boot fitter will be your best bet. I'm lucky because one of my coaches is a boot fitter and she does Risport as well. Good luck! And welcome to the crazy world of adult skating!  

sk8tmum

Posted: 01-13-2010, 10:20 PM

One other thing to remember when you do switch boots. We had a similar "heel coming up" in Jacksons before the kids were properly fitted. There was a transition period when jumps and spins had to be "relearned" as the mechanics were different when the foot stayed firmly in place. It took time, but, it did work out, and the resulting jumps and that are much more solid and better controlled.

On a plus side, however, the issues with the inflamed Achilles tendon were resolved, and that's been an excellent result.  

blue111moon

Posted: 01-14-2010, 07:47 AM

I'd be worried about wearing too narrow a shoe/boot. While it's true that the metatarsels are able to be squeezed to make the foot narrower, doing so puts pressure on the nerves that run between the bones and can result in permanent nerve damage.

I know this because I have already had surgery to remove inflamed nerves and have lost the feeling between two middle toes. Google "Morton's Neuroma" and see the possibilities.

My advice would be to see an orthopedist and have the feet checked out now before the damage is done. Then make sure your shoes and skates FIT, even if it costs more. Your feet will thank you later.  

fsk8r

Posted: 01-14-2010, 08:50 AM

where abouts in Texas are you? I know a couple of boot fitters in the Houston area but can't remember off the top of my head whether they stock Risports.  

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 01-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue111moon  
Google "Morton's Neuroma" and see the possibilities.

I have what Klingbeil calls "Morton's Toe" - my second toe is longer than my big toe. My sister had "Morton's Neuroma" and her feet are in bad shape, even after the surgery. She doesn't skate but she's careful to wear her orthotics and correct shoes regularly to avoid the agony.  

kayskate

Posted: 01-14-2010, 09:50 AM

I seem to remember some manufacturers make a wider toe box w smaller sz heel. I am wondering if this is Reidell. Not sure, as I have never needed this type of fit. Contact Reidell and ask if you can get a combo sz.

Kay  

blue111moon

Posted: 01-14-2010, 10:34 AM

Reidell makes the split-widths. I have a B ball and a AA heel right now. Reidell's toe box is also higher (from sole to tongue seam) which works for me since my second toe is also longer than my big toe (aka "Roman feet") and bends up at the middle joint. SP-Teris are flatter and have less room there. At least the ones I tried did.

Of course, it all depends on finding the brand that fits your foot best. Which requires a decent fitter. Who are hard to find - and not just in Texas.  

sk8tmum

Posted: 01-14-2010, 01:36 PM

Riedell dealer locator. It seems that they identify some as "authorized" and some not, which to my limited brain would probably indicate larger supply or sales volume - ?

http://www.ice.riedellskates.com/DealerLocator.aspx

Not saying that Riedell is the solution, but, most of the skate companies have a similar feature ...  

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 01-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8tmum  
Riedell dealer locator. It seems that they identify some as "authorized" and some not, which to my limited brain would probably indicate larger supply or sales volume - ?

I wonder if it means that the dealer has completed a Riedell certification or training program?  

Query

Posted: 01-14-2010, 04:24 PM

I've reposted this too many times recently - but I have pages at http://mgrunes.com/boots/boots.html that discuss how to modify the fit of your current boots.

Skate boot soles are very rigid, so if the fit of the bottom is right, the feet cannot collapse. End of problem. But you want roughly equal pressure on the entire foot below the ankle, except on the sides and front of the toes, which most references say should not touch anything. You can modify the fit of almost any skate to meet this requirement, unless it is more than a size off.

Skate boots are designed to immobilize the entire foot except the ankle. But in extreme medical conditions, I'm told podiatrists occasionally use excess pressure in spots, like across an arch, to immobilize internal joints. A podiatrist is medically trained to evaluate the risks and trade-offs of doing so. We aren't.

All the ballet slippers I've seen are much less stiff and rigid than skate boots, so fit might not be the same. Though someone here mentioned one brand of pointe shoes that are rigid enough to force the foot into the desired ballet shape.

Do your toes touch the end of the shoe to support your weight? If so, how do dancers avoid the foot health problems that is supposed to create?

It is easiest to start with a brand of boot that fits well. Fewer modifications, and if you instead get a boot that is too large in many spots, the final result will weigh more and get in the way of close footwork.

What do you love about Risports boots? If everything else fits, they might still be a good starting point for modification.  

GoSveta

Posted: 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Skate Texas in Houston.  

krisseye

Posted: 01-16-2010, 02:15 AM

I have Riedell's E width with B heel and I love them! And they're not custom. I second going to a good fitter. Made a huge difference for me.  

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Re: Boot sizing/foot question - fsf
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:39:17 PM »
Layne

Posted: 01-17-2010, 03:46 PM

Hello, fellow Texan! I'm in College Station. I haven't been there, but I just checked out the website for Skate Texas and they look really great. They have all the major brands and prices are about the same as online, presumably with more and better service. If you're near Dallas you might find a similar shop, but if you're way out west or south, you're probably badly out of luck. 

Whimsical

Posted: 01-19-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks so much for all the great help everyone!

I did end up going with the Risports in a width down. They are on the way, so we shall see when they arrive if they work well or not. If not, I may be getting customs sooner than I want to, as I found Riedells (even w/ the split width) terrible for me. Someone did mention Jacksons, but my coach hates them so ... Yeah :p