You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Champion Cords  (Read 5920 times)

Offline luckykid

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
Champion Cords
« on: June 18, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »
Are the champion cords meant for personal use? So far I've read many reviews where they said their coach made them use it. It seems to always be related to the coach. However it's not sold here so I don't think any coaches of mine will really use it, but I have a problem of leaving my arms behind when doing spins or jumps, so I thought I would get the champion cords to improve my body awareness. I guess this won't cause any harm if I use it without supervision?

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
Re: Champion Cords
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »
You can get the instructional usage DVD with the cords, and just have to understand basic body mechanics with jumps and spins to use them.  I've seen many coaches themselves use them incorrectly, most likely because they didn't bother to follow the DVD instructions.  When you buy two cords (which you should instead of one) the DVD comes with it. www.sk8strong.com/trainingaidcatalog.html
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 08:36:28 PM »
I have them and I LOVE them! They create a higher level of body/positional awareness you will be amazed! You can also use them off the ice as well.  Get the DVD because you need to understand how to use them correctly-failure to do so can be extremely dangerous!!!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline luckykid

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:57:02 AM »
OK I've decided to get them. Thanks everyone!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 12:40:48 PM »
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 01:54:55 PM »
Bumping up to find out more about this product. I'm curious if anyone saw solo ice dancers regularly train with champion cords? (too dangerous with partner I guess)

I really need some intervention to increase the body awareness, especially for arms and shoulders... Your observations or reviews are appreciated!! :)

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
We're currently starting a Champion Cord  Challenge at our rink for the next 10 weeks.  Skaters are supposed to use the cords for 10 minutes out of their session in order to earn a sticker for the chart.  Coaches are using the cords in lessons, so the skaters will have been given exercises they can do on their own.  We have a bucket of the things that they can borrow if they don't have their own.  At the end of the 10 weeks, we'll have a party for those who participated, with special recognition for those who earned the most stickers.  My own students are using them for basic stroking, forward and back crossovers, and spirals.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »
I've used them in freestyle, not dance, but on everything from basic stroking up through axels. I don't see why you couldn't use them with dances as well to work on arms, extension, posture etc. There are tons of different ways to use them - hook them to your boots, hold them stretched out in front, stretch them hand to hand across your back/shoulders, I've even seen them used attached to a ponytail to stop the skater from looking down. If I remember right there are CDs or DVDs with different exercises on them.

For body awareness though, can you take an off-ice ballet class or dance for skaters or something? That may also help.

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »
Champion cords are GREAT for ice dancers! I instantly picked up the correct rocker technique (both inside and outside, forward and back) using the Perfect-A-Poise, which is similar to champion cords.  I use them with all of my students for shoulder positioning.
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
Slightly OT, but at my old rink we used to have a high performing rec hockey player who had cords that went between his ankles to build up his stride or something. I saw him a few months ago and asked him if he still used them, but apparently he got past the need for them.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 10:48:04 PM »
Thanks for the reviews! Now I need to decide if I should go for the brand product or DIY... Or does anyone have idle cords / DVD to sell? :D

Question: when you train with champion cords, usually for how long do you use them? 10-15 minutes? Whole session? I also rarely saw the cords in action at my rink, what are some common mistakes to avoid?

Archived thread on training aids, including the champion cords.

We're currently starting a Champion Cord  Challenge at our rink for the next 10 weeks... My own students are using them for basic stroking, forward and back crossovers, and spirals.

The challenge sounds so cool. I was hoping to hear that you use the cords for dance too, haha.

For body awareness though, can you take an off-ice ballet class or dance for skaters or something? That may also help.

Thanks for the tip, schedule conflicts mostly...

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »
The challenge sounds so cool. I was hoping to hear that you use the cords for dance too, haha.

I would if I needed them - rsk8d's experience with the rocker indicates that I might do so again in the future.  I used to use them for camel spins mostly.  So far in dance it hasn't been an issue, I think because I've done enough ballet.

There really isn't a wrong way to use them, once you know how to fasten them onto your skate (they come with a diagram - it's pretty easy)  Standard way is to use 2 cords, connecting each hand to the corresponding foot, although, as has been said, there are tons of ways to use them.  All they do is make you more aware of your body position and extension because as you stretch the cords you can feel better where everything is.  You don't do special exercises in them, you just work as you normally would, but your awareness is heightened.

My kids are using them now for stroking, to feel the extension of the free leg and to hold their arms up instead of flopping around like wet noodles - also to increase their awareness of core.  (I have a couple of noodle-y skaters!)  We do a couple laps of stroking, then forward and backward crossovers in a figure-8 pattern, 3 times around for each, then we work on their spiral positions.  I've also started having them do a few waltz jumps before I let them take the cords off, because I want them to hold their landing positions with nice extension.  They whine about how "hard" it is, but both are using the cords for a good 10 minutes in their lessons.  We'll see how well they do on their own when the challenge starts this weekend!

The biggest concern with these, or any similar training aid, is that the elastic would break under tension and snap back at the skater, so if you make your own, be sure that any connections are very secure.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »
rsk8d 06-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I agree with Skate@Delaware about proper usage or a skater may get hurt. I have seen several coaches using Champion Cords improperly, and it drives me crazy. Too many people don't spend the time watching instructional DVDs and reading directions. There is a purpose to them! :) A coach needs to have a good understanding of proper body mechanics to use these types of training tools, or they won't help a skater.

rsk8d, I was wondering what type of mistakes do you see? Cord not secured? Wrong body parts? Incorrect cord length with too much tension?... I am going to educate myself with the DVD, still curious what the common mistakes are.

The biggest concern with these, or any similar training aid, is that the elastic would break under tension and snap back at the skater, so if you make your own, be sure that any connections are very secure.

Thanks for the safety cautions, Clarice!

I bought one replacement cord from championcords.com, $12 + $5 shipping - 20% discount (coupon code FBSPECIAL) = $15. I am sure there are idle S hooks around I could use, and the DVD comes with this order free of charge. Will first give it a try with my arms and shoulders. If I like it enough and actually stick to regular usage, I'll probably find suitable bungee cords and DIY a second one. :) 

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 08:01:26 PM »
Thanks for coupon code jjane45!  I just placed an order for two cords (with hooks) as the product sounds so intriguing.  I am looking forward to viewing the DVD.

I'd love to hear some more responses to jjane45's questions, as I am wondering the same thing:

Question: when you train with champion cords, usually for how long do you use them? 10-15 minutes? Whole session?

With what activities do you most like using the cords?  Any activities where the cords aren't a good fit for you?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »
I'd love to hear some more responses to jjane45's questions, as I am wondering the same thing:

With what activities do you most like using the cords?  Any activities where the cords aren't a good fit for you?

I watched several videos of Sheila demonstrating, the opposite hand ones seem to have some strangling potential, but it's hard to tell...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »
I received my order. Little disappointed in the instructional DVD, In terms of usage and safety cautions it did not offer anything I did not already know. I was hoping for something more technical, instead it was rather like a montage of skaters practicing with the cords with background music and marketing verbiage.

Maybe it is supposed to be really simple. :P  Will give it a try with single cord first and report back.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:38:48 PM »
I agree that the DVD was under-whelming.  I was hoping for some specific advice, like if your skater is having trouble with X, have them try Y with the cords on and pay attention to Z.

My take on them is they generally make it easier to feel what your body is doing, so that you can correct and improve your technique.

I skated with them at a quiet daytime public session (mostly beginners and folks skating for exercise) and everybody was rather curious what the cords were and what they were for.  I thought the cords were both fun and helpful to me.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 11:36:48 PM »
Well, I've now skated several sessions with the cord on wrists in hope to fix flailing arms. It definitely requires more energy to hold arms out there, but I usually can last an hour or two - of course the arms were not always out :P

Group coaches did not mind that I use it during lesson, but both made me put the cord against my back instead of back of neck, to avoid forward hunching. There were inquiries from fellow skaters, and some coaches loved the idea and consider torturing their students with something similar.

I have not felt huge improvements in my stroking, but dance coach apparently thought I needed the cords the least compared to other dance class students, so it must be working to his satisfaction. OTOH I felt a huge difference in my jumps, it REALLY made me aware of the arms while pulling in for the flip and loop. My arms can no longer go as high as my head, the cord holds them in place. :D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:25 PM »
I convinced my friend to try the champion cord today, I think it helped him to keep the arms low and controlled during jumps. (I have the same overhead high flailing arms!)  Now he just needs to relearn those jumps by adjusting to the new balance, ha!

Oh, and while I had my friend hold one end of the cord in each of his hands, our high-triples-skater came by and suggested wrapping the cord around his waist, clip one end to the cord itself and hold the other end in the right hand. Wrap the cord around the right wrist a few times to make sure it's tight. When jumping, really bang the right hand into chest.

Me: is the cord too short?
High-level-skater: we are men and we are stronger.
Me: ...

Of course, friend's coach will have the final say on how to involve the cord in his training. We had fun playing though. Friend is considering DIY and I will bring him the instruction CD for sure.