You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How do you keep warm?  (Read 5639 times)

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
How do you keep warm?
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:15:49 AM »
Since the upgrade to our rink I've been getting really cold during my lessons, probably the new aircon system...anyway I'm sick of it - numb feet aren't helping me with learning...so I'm wondering if anyone can make some suggestions that I could implement? I know I've seen people around here who have circulation issues and they seem to successfully wrap up warm.

I have taken to wearing a lightweight fleece rather than a zip up cotton top but it hasn't helped, I wonder if wearing cotton next to my skin is something I should improve on? I have thought about wearing a thermal top underneath but I wonder if that's overkill? I also have wondered would leggings help, I'm using a cotton/lycra mix pant & maybe a more closer fit would help keep in the warmth? I see our shop has started stocking a very limited amount of Mondor (I haven't dared look at the price though)....

I also wear a polarfleece beanie because I get cold, I probably look a bit random, hardly anyone at my rink wears a hat but I just tell myself the other option is to be cold & thats enough to make me continue. I miss wearing gloves but I can't find any that will fit over my wrist guards, which after a wrist injury I refuse to get on the ice without...

Suggestions?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: How do you keep warm?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:08:01 AM »
Can you wear the wrist guards over gloves?
Also wearing multiple layers is the best way to keep warm as then you can adjust individually.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:50:19 AM »
UnderArmour Cold Gear Frosty Tights are my friend.  I wear them just as leggings for skating, and under pants for shoveling snow (so if you didn't want to wear just leggings, you could wear them under track pants.)

I also wear a fleece, and gloves.  That's been enough for me- our rink is very cold in the winter, but too hot in the summer.

As for numb feet, when my feet were going numb it was because my skates were too small, getting slightly larger skates really helped, even though the cold conditions didn't change.  Are your feet only going numb when it's cold, or has it happened previously?  I don't wear socks, but there is bound to be some lightweight sock lining made for outdoor sports enthusiasts as a base layer.

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 04:27:28 PM »
Well, i know when we went skiing in below 30degree weather, i kept warmer with a fleece vest on under my coat than with the underarmour top only.  The vest with my turtleneck worked grreat.

Another rink i skated at in NC i recall my feet were freezing.  You can buy those thermal insulated boot covers for something like that. 

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:51:38 PM »
We make sure the skates start warm... we use our boot warmer.   It seems to help.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:09:39 PM »
I have skated at some seriously cold rinks...When it's freezing, this is what I wear! On the bottom half: footed skate tights, Polartec Powerstretch leggings (you can buy them from BearHillSports, Sixo and the like, I buy the fabric and make my own, much cheaper). Top half - sports bra, t-shirt (mine are usually short sleeved and a cotton poly mix because I have oodles from comps and skate shows plus I warm up enough to get down to the t-shirt. You would probably stay warmer with a long sleeve technical shirt of polyester (Underarmour, Champion, etc), fitted Powerstretch jacket, and then I top off with my club thick fleece. I also wear the thin stretchy gloves and then big mittens on my hands and a fleece earband. I swear by the mittens! I wear them all winter long and I'm so much warmer! I like having two jackets so that if I'm working on something where I'm moving slower I can still be warm but if I'm doing power stuff and start sweating, I can take off a layer :)

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:14:19 PM »
I like having two jackets so that if I'm working on something where I'm moving slower I can still be warm but if I'm doing power stuff and start sweating, I can take off a layer :)

I do this too - I felt like a bit of a wimp at first, but it's so nice to have the option to warm up or cool down depending on what I'm working on.  That, and my fav rink is so unpredictable - warm one day, FREEZING the next. 

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:20:19 PM »
I skate with what can only be considered compression capris underneath my trousers and arm warmers from a bike shop under my jacket. In the winter I wear an insulated LL Bean jacket, but in the summer I just wear a linen jacket. I'm never cold. Of course at 60 I have zero interest in showing off my figure, so I can wear what I want.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 10:09:56 PM »
Tuck reusable hand warmers in your pockets, and stick your fingers in when you can for a quick warmup.  You boil them and you can then reuse them ... much better than the disposable ones ...

Second the Underarmour frosty tights. Also, heat your skates - gently - under the hairdryer in the washroom before you put them on.  Not enough to heat mold them, just enough to make them cozy.

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 10:45:14 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions....argh I wish I could just walk out there & find what you guys are talking about but we're a rugby country, Ice skating is just a pitiful minor minority sport here.... sometimes I wish I had the time & $ to go on holiday & come back armed with skate gear!

Lots of you mention underarmour - we don't get that in my corner of the globe, closest they come is Auzzie & I'm wary of buying online - I have big hips and a tiny waist I find it really difficult to buy clothing! but I'll take the make-up of the pant as a suggestion on the type of fabric to look for in a pant.

As for numb feet, when my feet were going numb it was because my skates were too small, getting slightly larger skates really helped, even though the cold conditions didn't change.  Are your feet only going numb when it's cold, or has it happened previously?  I don't wear socks, but there is bound to be some lightweight sock lining made for outdoor sports enthusiasts as a base layer.

I wear a wool blend sock for warmth, this cold feet thing has only started since the upgraded rink so I'd put it down to the cold...

Also, heat your skates - gently - under the hairdryer in the washroom before you put them on.  Not enough to heat mold them, just enough to make them cozy.

Haha no such chance my rink doesn't have hot air dryers, they use paper towels

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:02:53 AM »
I bring a heat gun with me in the winter, to warm my skates for just a few seconds (and sometimes my feet too- although it's really too hot to be directed at the skin, just depends how much snow I had to walk through).

You can find them with scrapbooking supplies at craft stores.

Or you know, a blow dryer.  But I don't have one of those.

Wool blend socks are a good idea, but i'd look into a liner also, they are meant to be worn other socks:
http://www.rei.com/product/627663/rei-silk-one-liner-socks
I'd recommend going somewhere you can see them, to figure out just how much thickness they would add. That's definetly an issue for skating.

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »
Does anyone know an online mondor stockist? I want to compare prices - they cost $50NZ at my rink & they only have 2 styles

Offline Meje

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
    • Adult Figure Skating Australia & New Zealand
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 07:26:10 AM »
Im in Aus and order from here http://www.tidewaterice.com/mondortights.htm

With the exchange rate, its a great price compared to buying from my local skate shop.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »
Strange rink "upgrade" if you are cold all the time!

Surely it is cheaper to shop over the Internet and hope things work than to fly off the Island on an extended trip. Many of these things are specialty items that few pro shops carry, no matter where you travel.

But if you want something too simple to fail, chemical heat packs, about $1 (USD) / pair in quantity, are almost certain to work - but you have to modify, remove or remake the insole to create a little extra space. What I said about tight fitting boots creating cold feet - if you jam extra stuff in there, and don't use thinner insoles, cold feet could get worse.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 01:59:38 PM »

Surely it is cheaper to shop over the Internet and hope things work than to fly off the Island on an extended trip. Many of these things are specialty items that few pro shops carry, no matter where you travel.

But if you want something too simple to fail, chemical heat packs, about $1 (USD) / pair in quantity, are almost certain to work - but you have to modify, remove or remake the insole to create a little extra space. What I said about tight fitting boots creating cold feet - if you jam extra stuff in there, and don't use thinner insoles, cold feet could get worse.

That is true-some people's boots are so snug they can't fit in a piece of paper lol! I use "Toasty Toes" in my skates on really frigid days, warmer days I wear leg warmers instead. I layer my clothing and also wear stretch fleece pants & jacket. Gloves always. I should wear a hat (that's where you lose most of your heat) but I don't like them  ;D.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 03:56:58 PM »

Oh for sure about the stuff in the boot, you're right, my boots do fit quite snugly but I had them stretched and the issue went away until the upgrade. The upgrade completely overhauled the ice, the facility and the aircon - the rink was too warm sometimes and they would get ice melt, not obvious to us novices but tats what I'm told by the head coach.

Actually its not cheaper to buy online than if you happen to be away on holiday. To buy online I have to pay the exchange rate, foreign curency fess for my credit card, and the most expensive is actually the shipping - we live waaaay in the other corner of the world to you guys - 24h on a plane, checking out Meje's suggestion they have awesome cheap tights - but it costs more than a pair of tights to ship them to me $35USD then I have to figure in currency conversion on top - the $50 I would pay at my rink is cheaper than buying online unless buying in bulk

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 06:31:33 PM »
Kiwi: Could you talk to some others at your rink and put together a larger order and share the shipping costs? And perhaps start to make this a regular thing? That way everyone gets what they want/need, but you also save some on the shipping?

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 07:27:29 PM »
Could you buy on ebay? Sometimes the shipping is just the actual cost to the seller and not much more. I'm not sure how paypal handles international currency, but its an idea. If you can find someone that will sell to you.

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 04:30:15 AM »
Could you buy on ebay? Sometimes the shipping is just the actual cost to the seller and not much more. I'm not sure how paypal handles international currency, but its an idea. If you can find someone that will sell to you.

I've just looked at paypal - that might be a good option, if I'm reading it right it would eliminate the foreign currency credit card fee as you upload in you 'home' currency and it converts to the required currency as you pay....