You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Basic Skills DVD  (Read 26454 times)

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Basic Skills DVD
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:06 PM »
Okay, so I am hoping someone has a copy of the Basic Skills DVD for coaching purposes.  Does this DVD cover EVERYTHING in the Basic Skills book?  Including that of Basic Skills Hockey and Basic Skills Synchro?

Thanks!

(i was having trouble with my computer loading the form, but i'm not even sure it would have that part of my question listed...)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
Re: Basic Skills DVD
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:45:13 PM »
I'd like to bring this thread back to the top as I, too, am interested in the DVD.  Anyone have any experience with it and would like to provide us a short review?
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:47:51 PM »
I have a copy of the DVD and I think it's a valuable resource.  It only includes Basic 1-8 and Freeskate skills, nothing for Hockey, Synchro, AIM, Adult, or the other tracks.  It also doesn't address anything in the standard- or adult-track tests.

They use CGI graphic to demonstrate the skills, which is okay but not perfect.  Sometimes the feet or blades didn't render properly, lol.  Some of the faces are a little scary, too.  The real value is that the narrator explains the skill progression and learning tips, along with the requirements such as # revolutions, entry/exit edge length, shape of lobe, etc.

The DVD has some helpful information like attire, skate fitting, lacing and how to fall, along with tips about using blades properly.  The skills are not organized by test level, they're grouped into categories:

. Forward Skating
. Backward Skating
. Turns
. Stops
. Jumps
. Spins

You'd need the curriculum to know which skills match which tests.
http://www.usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=47

IMO, it was originally intended to be a standards guide for skating instructors, a video training tool for directors to use.  Our last director had the excellent idea of reviewing the skills at a required instructors' meeting, so that we all knew what standards to work towards in groups.

A skater on this board reviewed it and felt it wasn't useful as a skater tutorial.  It doesn't really teach you how to do the skill as much as it cues the instructors on how to teach the skill.

When the Vancouver Olympics arrived, the USFSA started selling these through the NBC Universal online store, which is how I bought a copy.  Maybe they had inventory to unload, lol.  I think they should send all new coaching registrants a copy.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 11:57:42 PM »
THANK YOU!  What a great review.

I watched a few of the demos from the DVD on the USFSA website and, though the animated people seemed a little weird, what I thought was great was the explanation that went along with the moves.  It's one thing to watch the demos on the iPhone apps, it's another to hear someone (on the DVD) talk about HOW to do the move.  As someone going through Basic and then Freeskate, from your description, it seems like it will be very helpful.  They no longer have it available on NBC but I will get it through USFSA.

;D

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 01:22:59 PM »
It is a great DVD, as far as it goes, that the USFSA should be praised for producing it, and encouraged to produce more like it for other skill sets!

People say the DVD is meant for coaches, but the tape narrates as though she is talking to skating students. The USFSA pages addressed towards BS students also advises BS students that the DVD may be useful.

Many people say it teaches the minimum passing standard rather than the ideal. But unlike the ISI DVD, nobody is shaking, though I haven't gone through the whole DVD yet. BTW, someone told me that the animations were derived from videos of skaters. If so, I wonder why they didn't just use the original videos, but I'm sure they had good reasons.

Here is a more complete DVD outline

*Getting Started
  proper attire
  your skates
  fitting
  lacing
  how to fall
*Forward Skating
  tips
  forward swizzles
  the dip
  curves, alternate half swizzles, forward slalm
  forward one foot glide
  forward stroking
  forward half-swizzle pumps
  forward outside and inside edges
  forward crossovers
*Backwards Skating
  tips
  backward swizzles
  backward half swizzle pumps
  backward outside and inside edges
  backward crossovers
*Turns
  forward outside 3-turns
  forward inside 3 turns
  forward inside open mohawks
  backward outside 3 turns
  backward inside 3 turns
*Stops
  snowplow stop
  hockey stop
  t-stop
*Jumps
  bunny hop
  mazurka
  waltz jump
  half flip
  toe loop
  half lutz
  salchow
  loop
  flip
  lutz
  beginning axel
*Spins
  two foot spin
  one foot spin
  beginning scratch spin
  beginning back spin
  sit spin
  camel spin

Not all skills in the Snowplow Sam and Basic 1-8 curricula are present.

Here are the Snowplow Sam and Basic 1-8 syllabii from http://www.usfsa.org/Content/SnowplowSamProgram.pdf

Snowplow Sam 1
1. Sit and stand up with skates on – off Ice
2. Sit and stand up – on Ice
3. March in place
4. March forward – 8–10 steps
5. March, then glide on two feet
6. Dip in place
Snowplow Sam 2
1. March followed by a long glide
2. Dip while moving
3. Backward wiggles – six in a row
4. Forward two-foot swizzles – 2-3 in a row
5. Rocking horse – one forward, one backward swizzle action
6. Two-foot hop in place
Snowplow Sam 3
1. Forward skating – 8–10 steps
2. Forward one-foot glide – R and L
3. Forward swizzles – 4–6 in a row
4. Backward swizzles – 4–6 in a row
5. Forward snowplow stop with skid
6. Curves
Basic 1
1. Sit on ice and stand up
2. March forward across the ice
3. Forward two-foot glide
4. Dip
5. Forward swizzles – 6–8 in a row
6. Backward wiggles – 6–8 in a row
7. Snowplow stop
8. Rocking horse – 2–3
9. Two-foot hop in place (optional)
Basic 2
1. Forward one foot glides – R and L
2. Backward two-foot glide
3. Backward swizzles – 6–8 in a row
4. Two-foot turn from forward to backward in place
5. Moving snowplow stop
6. Forward alternating half swizzle pumps, in a straight line (slalom-like pattern)
Basic 3
1. Forward stroking, showing correct use of blade
2. Forward half swizzle pumps on a circle – 6–8 consecutive clockwise and counterclockwise
3. Moving forward to backward two-foot turn – clockwise and counterclockwise
4. Backward one-foot glides – R and L
5. Forward slalom
6. Two-foot spin – up to two revolutions
Basic 4
1. Forward outside edge on a circle – R and L
2. Forward inside edge on a circle – R and L
3. Forward crossovers, clockwise and counterclockwise
4. Forward outside three-turn, R and L from a stand-still position
5. Backward half swizzle pumps on a circle, clockwise and counterclockwise
6. Backward stroking
7. Backward snowplow stop – R and L
Basic 5
1. Backward outside edge on a circle – R and L
2. Backward inside edge on a circle – R and L
3. Backward crossovers, clockwise and counterclockwise
4. Beginning one-foot spin – up to three revs, optional entry and free-foot position
5. Hockey stop
6. Side toe hop – both directions
Basic 6
1. Forward inside three-turn – R and L from a standstill position
2. Moving backward to forward two-foot turn on a circle, clockwise and counterclockwise
3. T-stop – R or L
4. Bunny hop
5. Forward arabesque/spiral on a straight line – R or L
6. Forward lunge – R or L
Basic 7
1. Forward inside open Mohawk from a standstill position – R to L and L to R
2. Backward outside edge to forward outside edge transition on a circle – R and L
3. Ballet jump – R and L
4. Backward crossovers to a backward outside edge glides (landing position), clockwise and counterclockwise
5. Forward inside pivots – R or L
Basic 8
1. Moving forward outside three-turn on a circle – R and L
2. Moving forward inside three-turn on a circle – R and L
3. Combination move: Forward crossovers (2) into forward inside Mohawk, cross behind, step into backward crossover (1) and step to forward inside edge
4. One-foot upright spin, optional entry and free-foot position
5. Waltz jump
6. Mazurka – R and L

If you are a BS instructor, the PSA Snowplow Sam and Basic 1-8 on-line classes (free to BS instructors, even those who don't belong to PSA), on the PSA website useful too - but there are no videos there.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
THANK YOU!  What a great review.

I watched a few of the demos from the DVD on the USFSA website and, though the animated people seemed a little weird, what I thought was great was the explanation that went along with the moves.  It's one thing to watch the demos on the iPhone apps, it's another to hear someone (on the DVD) talk about HOW to do the move. 

The sample clips are online here: http://www.usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=334

Two Foot Turns
Forward Crossovers
Backward Outside Three Turn
Two Foot Spin
Salchow

(Note: At some point in the past, one of these links didn't work, but that has been resolved.)
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »
I just noticed. There are also skills on the DVD (like axel) not present in BS 1-8, though they are covered in the BS Instructor's manual (in the Freeskate section).

I understand why the DVD drops basics like March and glide, but the DVD would be even better if it added the things most of the coaches I've asked aren't sure they understand, like Side Toe Hop.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »
I just noticed. There are also skills on the DVD (like axel) not present in BS 1-8, though they are covered in the BS Instructor's manual (in the Freeskate section).
As I said before, the DVD covers the skills in Basic 1-8 and Freeskate 1-6.  The curriculum sheets for Basic and Freeskate show all the skills in a more-readable fashion.

Buying the DVD is a great way to tell the USFSA we love teaching tools, and that we would love for them to produce more. Though, as coaches, some of you may not want that.
Experienced and trained coaches and instructors are far more valuable than a static video demo, even with the voiceover cues.  You don't get feedback or corrections from watching a video, nor can you ask the video narrator a question about the skill.  I'd rather be teaching higher-level to a skater than going over the same incorrect basic technique because s/he self-taught it or practiced it wrong repeatedly.

Are there sample views of the USFSA phone ap available? Since I don't have an iPhone or iPad, I can't see them.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »
First, let me thank everyone who's responded so far.  You are a wealth of knowledge and experience and I'm so glad to have found this forum.

Query, you rock for the time you took to detail the content and for your thoughts.

Quote from: FigureSpins
Experienced and trained coaches and instructors are far more valuable than a static video demo, even with the voiceover cues.  You don't get feedback or corrections from watching a video, nor can you ask the video narrator a question about the skill.

I agree, FigureSpins.  I'm taking group lessons for Basic 5-8.  Maybe I'll even do group for Freeskate.  Maybe I'll go private for Freeskate.  But, for Basic, group is just fine.  I'm the only one in my lesson doing Basic.  The others are doing Adult.  And, while my instructor comes by to give me direction or a new skill, I still want something more that I can beat into my brain.  The iPhone apps are great to remind of what do, I even downloaded iSkate's Improver, but I think the DVD has more to offer as far as detailed instruction.  I loved the demos on the website.

Offline thomasc

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
USFS Basic Skills Instructional DVD
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 12:15:41 AM »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I hope I haven't posted the question in the wrong section.

I'm not in the US. May I ask where I can order this "Basic Skills Instructional DVD" online for my kid? I wrote to the USFS but got no replies.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=41387

Does the USFS have any printed coach's manual similar to the Basic Skills DVD that I can order?

There is also a DVD called the "Physics on Ice" by Charles Butler. Has anyone heard of this DVD? Is it good?   
http://www.ultimateskate.com/instructional-videos/dvd-volume-1----physics-on-ice.aspx

TIA for your help!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 06:44:19 AM »
Welcome to skatingforums!  Your inquiry has been merged with an older topic since it's relevant and contains most of the information.

The USFSA used to require that the purchaser of an instructor's manual or DVD be a registered instructor/skating director.  Follow up on your earlier inquiry - the USFSA is usually pretty good about getting back to people.  Perhaps there were vacations or meetings. 

The NBC store no longer carries the Basic Skills DVD.

For other videotapes, try http://skatetape.com/instructional.aspx or http://skatetape.com/ultimateskatevol1physicsonice-dvd.aspx

I haven't seen Physics on Ice.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
Re: USFS Basic Skills Instructional DVD
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »
There is also a DVD called the "Physics on Ice" by Charles Butler. Has anyone heard of this DVD? Is it good?   
http://www.ultimateskate.com/instructional-videos/dvd-volume-1----physics-on-ice.aspx

I have the "Physics on Ice" DVD's, vols 1 and 2.  They are excellent.  I particularly like Butler's discussion of back crossovers, and his exercise for improving the BI edge push.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »
Does the USFS have any printed coach's manual similar to the Basic Skills DVD that I can order?

Yes. The Basic Skill Instructor Manual. It is only available to the same people that Isk8NYC listed for the DVD. Reasonably well written.

If your child is in a Basic Skills class, there is a chance the figure skating director in charge of the program may be willing to let you order the Manual and the DVD. Likewise if you belong to a skating club, you might find someone in the skating club willing to give or sell you one.

You can join ISI, and buy their manual and DVD, which offers classes somewhat similar to those of the USFSA. But their standards and skills are not identical to those of the USFSA, nor is the teaching order the same. Nonetheless, at the very lowest levels, a skater who can master the skills the way the ISI teaches them would pass most USFSA program classes.

Offline thomasc

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 03:33:06 AM »
Welcome to skatingforums!  Your inquiry has been merged with an older topic since it's relevant and contains most of the information.

Thanks for merging my question with the old topic! 
I've learned so much by reading these posts.

Offline thomasc

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 03:34:42 AM »
I have the "Physics on Ice" DVD's, vols 1 and 2.  They are excellent.  I particularly like Butler's discussion of back crossovers, and his exercise for improving the BI edge push.

Excellent! Thank you.

Offline thomasc

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 03:55:40 AM »

You can join ISI, and buy their manual and DVD, which offers classes somewhat similar to those of the USFSA. But their standards and skills are not identical to those of the USFSA, nor is the teaching order the same. Nonetheless, at the very lowest levels, a skater who can master the skills the way the ISI teaches them would pass most USFSA program classes.

For the DVD, is it called the "ISI Test Standards DVD" ($20)?  May I have the name for the manual?
I remember I browsed through a spiral bound ISI manual (about a inch and a half thick) but it talks mainly about the standards and rules for competition. I'm not sure if it is the manual that you mentioned.

Thank you.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 04:50:41 AM »
For the DVD, is it called the "ISI Test Standards DVD" ($20)?  May I have the name for the manual?
I remember I browsed through a spiral bound ISI manual (about a inch and a half thick) but it talks mainly about the standards and rules for competition. I'm not sure if it is the manual that you mentioned.

Thank you.

It's called the "ISI Handbook."  http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?Content=publications_manuals_ISI_handbook

They just revised it in 2012, so it might be spiral-bound now.  My older copy is hole-punched for a small, three-ring binder.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 05:32:23 AM »
If this is for a child, those books and DVDs will be pretty boring, especially the instructor's manual.  It's really just a curriculum guide with some basic test standards.

Why don't you look into apps for an iOS device?  There are quite a few and the demos are pretty good.
http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=1940.0

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »
Most young kids do learn athletic movement best in monkey-see-monkey-do mode, and are not only bored by words, but are mostly unable to associate words with movement. But some learn best from written words, or from a combination of words and demos. I would have been one of those, and always found demo-only classes frustrating. Even more so as an adult.

In this case, a parent wants to help the child learn. The USFSA and ISI manuals, and the DVDs, might be very helpful to the parent.

I'm certain that if a competent coach offered a book and DVD to the general public that showed the skills, in very good form, taught in the order that they appear in the USFSA Basic Skills classes, many skaters and their parents would buy it.

BTW, why have many rinks moved from ISI to USFSA group lesson classes? Most of the rinks around here offered ISI classes. Now almost half of them (I think) offer USFSA classes, or both. I would have thought the ISI program more accessible to the public, and cheaper to the rink.

P.S. If the original-poster parent can video the classes, if that is allowed, that might be helpful too, to parent and child.