You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Why am I always hurt?  (Read 7973 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Why am I always hurt?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
Two times I had severe inflammation and soreness that RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) didn't bring down. Those cases were scary: I was worried something very serious was wrong.

I hate using drugs, and almost never use them, but both of those times I took over-the-counter ibuprofen (yes, it's an NSAID) at the dose indicated on the box, and both times it worked perfectly within a day or two. Magic!

As far as I know, no skating organization will disqualify you for using ibuprofen, and it seems pretty common, though I suppose you could check.

If ibuprofen isn't enough, I would personally would see someone with a sports medicine specialty - either a Sports PT/ATC, or a physician who specialized in sports medicine. It' expensive, if your insurance won't pay, but bodies are difficult to replace, and what you say sounds scary.

Or do you live in a country where it is illegal to see medical personnel without red tape, even if you pay?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
Or do you live in a country where it is illegal to see medical personnel without red tape, even if you pay?
Are you asking me this?  Or the poster just before you?  No one seemed to say anything that would lead me to believe they lived somewhere where it was illegal to seek medical care.

I took Ibprofeun on Tuesday, and I took 200 mg, and it didn't do anything so after 45 minutes I took another 200 mg, and that provided about 30 minutes of pain relief.  

I already have stomach issues, so the rate I'd have to take these to get pain relief, I just gave up on it.  Even after my major surgery, I didn't do much on the pain killers, so I don't mind being in pain so much as not knowing why I'm in pain.

My doctor prescribed a topical pain reliever, and it isn't fantastic, but I'll try it because it will only have local side effects, not systemic ones.  She also prescribed a muscle relaxant, but I'm going to wait and see how the pain goes before filling that.

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »
I hope you feel better soon, Skittl!