You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How often do you sharpen skates?  (Read 8366 times)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
How often do you sharpen skates?
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
My dd is 10, and does between 10 and 15 hours a week on ice training.  I have heard rule of thumb is every 20-25 hours which would be REALLY often.  She has a pattern 99 blade.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: How often do you sharpen skates?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 11:27:32 AM »
There is no absolute guideline, as it depends on the skater and the blade.  My one kid likes blades very sharp, my other somewhat duller. 

And, it's not just the edge: more often, it's nicks in the edges that are a problem. Kids who wear skate guards a great deal are more likely to have longer times between sharpenings.

Basically, if you run the edge of your thumbnail down the blade, it should peel a small strip off. Look for visible nicks as well.

However, if you're looking for timing: Ultima blades:  2 months, skating about 10 hours a week. Gold Seals: about 6 weeks, skating about the same amount, but, more frequently if freeskate testing or comps are upcoming, or if new jumps (for example, a triple whatever) or bigger and better versions of current jumps are being worked upon; the need for edge bite seems to be more necessary when the landings are shakier. 

Fortunately, our sharpener is incredibly gifted at what he does, and is notorious for being able to minimize the need for sharpenings and get the most life out of blades ... which is why a visit to his shop can sometimes be startling in terms of who is hanging around getting their blades done (is that - OMG it IS!).

But, if you're kid is 10: you're going to outgrow those blades before they have no edge left for sharpening, anyways!

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 11:41:19 AM »
And, it's not just the edge: more often, it's nicks in the edges that are a problem. Kids who wear skate guards a great deal are more likely to have longer times between sharpenings.

But, if you're kid is 10: you're going to outgrow those blades before they have no edge left for sharpening, anyways!

This is true..she has been well trained to wear guards.  And we have been going through a set of boots/blades EVERY year!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »
Run the guards (without springs) through the dishwasher every so often: takes out the bits of grit that get trapped inside the guards, said bits of grit being the same stuff that the guards are supposed to prevent the skates from being ground against ... sigh.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »
Run the guards (without springs) through the dishwasher every so often: takes out the bits of grit that get trapped inside the guards, said bits of grit being the same stuff that the guards are supposed to prevent the skates from being ground against ... sigh.

Good idea...I think we are doing some skate maintenance this weekend so I will do that.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
I get 70 hours out of my CorAces, so much more than the 20 guideline. Just record the hours she skates on them until she says they need to be sharpened, then you'll know when to approximately sharpen them.
I have a little notebook in which I write down the dates I sharpen. Last time was February 3rd- so 70 hours would be near the end of May.

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »
My daughter wears the paramounts and she gets about 3 months out of them and she skates over 15 hours per week during the school year and more than that during the summer.   I don't think it has anything to do with age.  It has more to do with their skating skills, their weight, wearing guards, and I've also been told the condition of the ice (soft or hard).  I know one skater that has the paramounts and gets them done once a week - it's just a touch up!  There's also one guy at that same rink that gets his sharpened once a year!  He's on Team USA and will be at Worlds.  According to the sharpener, he hates sharp skates!  However, other than podiums and carpet runners, his blades only touch ice!  He's very disciplined.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »
The time in between sharpenings for me varies greatly.  If I have a competition or test coming up, I might get them done even thought I don't *need* it.  I got my skates sharpened in mid-February and am getting them done again in a week or two because I have a competition coming up.  If I didn't, I might go another month or two.  Partly because I am too lazy to take them (it isn't done at the rink) and partly because as I continue to improve as a skater, I get used to duller blades and can do the same things with less edge on them.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
I think that there are just too many known or unknown factors that play upon the need and timing of sharpening to set certain " mileage " checkpoints for sharpening. And these factors vary so much from skater to skater. After a skater is no longer a rank beginner, and if the skater is not a young child, I think that they somewhat become aware of when to sharpen their blades. You get to know and feel a certain kind of performance from your blades, and when you notice that performance decreasing, it's time for a sharpening. At least that is how I perceive it, but each to their own.
BTW---I have Jackson Elite boots and Jackson Ultima blades.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »
I keep a spreadsheet to track hours and kind of journal. Sharpening about every 50 hours or when I start skidding / losing edge on spin entrance. In winter I sharpen more frequently due to outdoor skating.

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »
We get my dd's Pattern 99 sharpened every 3-4 weeks. During competition season it was usually 3 because of the timing.  We try to sharpen before they really need it. If she goes longer than 4 weeks even I can tell it's time (odd falls, slipping off edges on landings, etc.)  She skates about 12 hrs/week.  20-25 hours seems like a lot to me too.  Your daughter can probably tell when it's time.  I know mine can.  She's switching to Paramounts and I'm hoping we can extend the time between sharpenings.

Offline toepix

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I use to be on Pattern 99 for about 12-15 hours a week, and I had mine done atleast every 4 weeks, sometimes less than that if a competition was coming up.
I am now on Paramounts( I love them), and I also only skate 8-10 hours a week now and I can go for 8-12 weeks between sharpening. I am so happy I switched.