You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Football padding  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Football padding
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:56:56 PM »
I have no basis for opinion on this. Just passing it on.

A gal at the ice rink was told that football padding is a light and effective way to survive falls.

Hockey padding, she was told, is much heavier - presumably because it has to stop fast moving pucks and sticks, which is a different type of impact than you get in falls.

I still love the idea that someone on this board suggested, that skaters should be all swaddled up in bubble wrap.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Football padding
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:26:07 PM »
You know I was just noticing the baseball "slide" shorts at the store the other day.. thinking they too might work nicely.. football padding seems like it may be in some of the wrong places, but baseball players do slide on their hips :)

I however, picked up a pair of skating crash pad shorts on ebay a few weeks ago that fit me for less than $10... super score for me on that one!  Ironic because I wasn't looking when I spotted them, but I won them with a single bid (no one else wanted them I guess).

I have a pair of thin gel knee pads (meant for volleyball) I wear skating sometimes.. they were cheap, and they're very effective - I actually bought them for housekeeping, since my knees can't take getting down on the floor without protective padding any more.. and it seems like I am constantly pulling things out from under the sofa and beds.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »
My professional advice:  Don't fall!

Of course, I'm kidding.  Falling is part of the learning process in skating.  Personally, I have only used crash pads a couple of times.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »

Of course, I'm kidding.  Falling is part of the learning process in skating.  Personally, I have only used crash pads a couple of times.

My daughter REFUSES to wear them...she is even doing double axel (not quite successfully yet) without them. 

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 03:02:58 PM »
My daughter REFUSES to wear them...she is even doing double axel (not quite successfully yet) without them. 
Mine were forced onto me by my coach. My coach has a magical ability to make me do anything.

Football players do have a similarity to us. They wear really tight pants.

::>)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »

Hey now!  I got complimented on my falls today.. I'm still trying to work out of that's truly a good thing or not  88)

I will absolutely wear my crash pads if I get back to where I am working on axels and doubles.  I have calcium deposits in my leg muscles from hard falls (resulting from the bruising caused by crashing hard).... I'd like to avoid getting more.

Granted, they are very benign, but at the same time definitely not normal.... I was told that most people don't have any.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 11:57:34 PM »

The refusals stopped after the first 2-1/2 week doctor-ordered hiatus from skating (and the x-rays, painkillers etc) that resulted from a fall that landed on a hip bone causing damage that could have been easily prevented by a crash pad.  I even got an "I'm sorry, you're right, it's stupid not to protect myself when I'm slamming myself into the ice like I do", which I noted as a "yay, go MUM!" moment.  Also, seeing a few skaters permanently off the ice due to damage to knee caps and tailbones (which the spinal crash pads nicely protect.)