You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Try Skates On!  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Try Skates On!
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:34:44 PM »
I know it's really difficult to get skates to try on since some people don't have a pro shop or the shop doesn't have the right sizes/models in stock, but I just want to encourage people to try on skates before buying if it's at all possible.

I have a student who outgrew her skates while she was on hiatus.  They were wide-width Blue Ribbon Riedells.  This week, she tried on a pair of Jackson Artiste skates.  Bigger size and width.  Her foot fit the insole well, even across the heel and ball of the foot.  When she tried the skates on the ice, she said they felt like there was too much room BEHIND her heel and they were pressing on her achilles.

I remembered something sk8dreams said about Riedell vs. Jackson's heel strap design.  I think that's why the Jacksons hurt her.  The heel pocket's a little deeper on Jacksons, but the skater's achilles was fairly straight in shape.

They're going to try on a pair of Riedells and see if that fits better.

If you have a chance to try on skates before buying, do it.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Try Skates On!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 07:23:13 PM »
When my DD wore Jacksons, they would have to "shape" the heel cup to arch it open more at the top, as otherwise it pressed on her Achilles and it was quite painful. When she switched to Riedells, there was no longer any issue with this, nor was there a need to adapt the heel cup at all.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:56:21 PM »
Maybe it was your post on that other thread that I was thinking about - thanks for the heads up.  Since she's buying used anyway, it's just as easy to limit the search to Riedells.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline ubmuaer

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:16:25 PM »
Unfortunately for my situation, my skates felt fine and completely did not hurt when I tried them on and when I walked around in them at home. However, once I got on the ice and just went around the rink for leess than 10 minutes, my feoot started to cramp up and hurt a lot.  At that point, it was too late to return :(

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »
Unfortunately for my situation, my skates felt fine and completely did not hurt when I tried them on and when I walked around in them at home. However, once I got on the ice and just went around the rink for leess than 10 minutes, my feoot started to cramp up and hurt a lot.  At that point, it was too late to return :(

From reading your older posts, you bought these in some sort of big box store, not a pro shop, right?  I would honestly suspect that they're just not the right size.... most skates are a little uncomfortable (because they're tight/stiff) until they are "broken in" - that's just the nature of how they are... skates are supposed to fit very close to your feet.  If they've never hurt you when wearing them, then something isn't quite right, and I would bet they're too big.

Assuming they aren't the completely wrong size, cramping can be caused by a lot of things.. inadequate arch support (or too much), or if the ball is too wide or narrow are two of the bigger causes. You could pronate and need a post wedge.  You could even need metatarsal support... all of those are tiny things that can be done to help support your feet better.  The insoles of Jacksons and Riedells are removable.. that won't account for differing arch support built into the last the boot was made on, but in a lot of cases you can put something else in (like superfeet which you tried, but there are others) that may work better.  Custom orthotics are an option - even in stock boots, but if you go that route you would end up spending more on orthotics than your boots.  You'd be better off working with a fitter who knows what they are doing and can make the small changes to help support your feet better, but you can modify the insoles yourself by adding more foam in places you might need it.  Pretty much if there is any 'open space' in your boots, it needs to be filled.. because you're left with either a gap that will allow your foot to move and cause blisters, or it's showing an obvious lack of support for some part of your feet.  I can't tolerate any extra space in my boots except for maybe a couple of millimeters past my toes.

There's also a possibility that the cramping is simply you using muscles you aren't used to using - skating uses different muscles than walking does, and some aren't used to the workout.  I know that my feet are usually not happy any time I haven't been skating for a while (months, years...), but that tends to go away within a few weeks back on the ice, as those muscles build back up again.  If your feet cramp while skating, I'd get off the ice, take off your skates, and massage your feet for a few minutes, then get your skates back on and go again... you might find that it helps a bit. 

I've never worn Reidells, because they are just made all wrong for my feet... everyone's feet are different and no one brand is going to work for everyone.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »
Her foot fit the insole well, even across the heel and ball of the foot.  When she tried the skates on the ice, she said they felt like there was too much room BEHIND her heel and they were pressing on her achilles.

I remembered something sk8dreams said about Riedell vs. Jackson's heel strap design.  I think that's why the Jacksons hurt her.  The heel pocket's a little deeper on Jacksons, but the skater's achilles was fairly straight in shape.

It's the Riedells that have the deeper heel cup, but the designs could have changed over the years.
My glass is half full :)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
I would recommend the same to any one who is able to do so! I wish we could do it! It would make our lives a little easier. *sigh* Thankfully, our rink "Pro Shop" will allow us to return the boots we just ordered if they do not fit dd right. I wish I could open a local pro-shop. We certainly have a need for a real pro-shop in this area. I imagine one will open around the time my daughter is done figure skating. LOL! Oh how I wish we lived near one....

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 11:43:58 PM »
I saw an announcement somewhere that said there was a fitting/sharpening pro that went from rink to rink in a workvan.  He had a sharpening machine inside and some stock, although if you needed to try something on, you were supposed to let me know the approximate size range so they could bring a few different pairs.

Seemed like a great idea, assuming the pro was experienced and skilled.
-- Isk8NYC --