You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Soft Boots for elderly skater  (Read 6876 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Soft Boots for elderly skater
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:24:41 AM »
I'm old. I have little knee bend. If I get stiff boots, I have even less knee bend. I don't jump. I've skated in low level Jackson's for 3 years and I still don't lace around the top hook.

So I was looking at the SP-Teri Silver Medalist and their ice dance line. Anyone have any comments on these? Or suggestions for a similar softish boot?  (No SOFTEC or other rec skates please)
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: Soft Boots for elderly skater
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:21:39 PM »
What about an instructional level Riedell? There are some little (like the wind blows and they will fall over) kids at my rink that have with Comets or Aces on them. A good blade mounter/fitter can do that. I'm guessing they can put what ever blade you want on yours.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »
I have the SP Teri Dance boot.  It is not at all soft.  I have had them for 6 years and they have absolutely no creases at all although I am a big person (I've never really jumped in them, however) - basically I hate them except I am too cheap to get another boot but I would not vouch for them.  Maybe they have changed them since 2005 but I kind of doubt it.  They do fit okay and don't hurt or anything.

I have had friends who wanted boots like the ones they wore in the 70s and Harlick was able to make them for the skaters to their specifications and they are SOFT.  Expensive way to go though.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »
I have the SP Teri Dance boot.  It is not at all soft. 

I have had friends who wanted boots like the ones they wore in the 70s and Harlick was able to make them for the skaters to their specifications and they are SOFT.  Expensive way to go though.

Thanks for the head's up on the Teri Dance.
My experience with Harlick was that the boots were ordered for figures and ended up being stiff enough for doubles (my coach's comment). One was so badly fitted it had to go back to Harlick's to be rebuilt. When I get them back I'll try them, but pretty sure they're going to eBay.

What about an instructional level Riedell? There are some little (like the wind blows and they will fall over) kids at my rink that have with Comets or Aces on them. A good blade mounter/fitter can do that. I'm guessing they can put what ever blade you want on yours.

I might consider the Reidells as they have the ankle notch. The 910 LS looks promising.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »
Custom Klingbeils are not what I would call "soft," but they are super comfy and break in very easily.  I know many adults in our age range who wear them and are happy with them.  They come with a dance notch that makes bending easier.  You might even be able to get away with the Klingbeil stock boots.  I suggest you call and speak with Don Klingbeil about exactly what you want and why.  The web site doesn't have a phone number, so take a look and PM me if you want it.
My glass is half full :)

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »
Yeah I would not recommend the SP Teri Dance for you too. There were in the running when I got new boots and they were stiff, not too stiff to get, but I mostly do freestyle and they would have been fine (for me). Some people do doubles in them.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Yeah I would not recommend the SP Teri Dance for you too. There were in the running when I got new boots and they were stiff, not too stiff to get, but I mostly do freestyle and they would have been fine (for me). Some people do doubles in them.

Insert 'scream of horror' smiley.
DOUBLES? In dance boots? Well, they're off my list.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:25:34 PM »
Not to totally hijack your thread   :P but I really don't there is much about the Teri Dance boot that is a dance boot.  They say they have lower backs but I measured them as compared to my old SP Teri SuperTeri circa 1990 and the were the same height in the back. The fronts were a little higher so as to give the illusion of being lower in the back.

They have a flex notch.

Otherwise I think they are a Super Teri or Super Teri Deluxe or their equivalent nowadays. 

I would go with another boot.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:38:16 PM »
BTW, I'm 64 and don't consider myself elderly.  I noticed tonight when buying airline tix, that once you hit 65, they consider you a senior citizen.  Not sure what that's about (certainly not discounts), but if it has to do with emergency exit seating, I bet I'm stronger and in better shape than many 40-ish men.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »
I'd look into other maker's custom boots.. either Klingbeil or SP-Teri can definitely make you what you want, but you'd need to work with a good fitter.  Getting things like a scallop (or two!) or an extra flex notches could help with your knee bend, and they'll definitely be able to make them to the stiffness (or lack of) you request.  Honestly if your Harlicks come back too stiff I would send them back to be remade with less support - if you're paying for custom boots, you should get what you wanted out of the process, and there is really no excuse to accept something that is not what you wanted.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »
Consider coach/instructor boots.  They usually have thinsulate linings so they're warm and they're less stiff than freestyle boots.  Riedell and Jackson offer them as stock boots with a wide range of widths.

My Klingbeils didn't hold up once I started jumping, but they were wonderful before I destroyed them.   Since you're not going to jump, these should last a while.

I have a friend who ordered the Jackson custom instructor boots and asked for a higher stiffness.  The skates didn't fit properly and were really rock-hard.  I think they just gave her tan competitor boots.  She sent them back and bought another pair of Riedell customs, which she used as a skater.

If the Jacksons fit well, what about an Artiste or Classique model?  They're PVC-bottomed, but the boot itself is pretty good.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 12:52:43 PM »
I don't know how soft you want to go (and how you define soft), but my sister broke down the Graf Dance boot in just over a year. She said she was doing everything in them the first day she wore them. She had her Risport RF3s for 6 years before needing to replace them, and they weren't broken down then and was still using them when she had the Grafs.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 05:50:44 PM »
If the Jacksons fit well, what about an Artiste or Classique model?  They're PVC-bottomed, but the boot itself is pretty good.

I'm in 5 year old Classiques now with Mirage blades. I don't want to seem like a spoiled teenager, but the new ones have that stupid gold Jackson stamp on them. I am NOT wearing that. And I like the Jackson Finesse, but they're probably too stiff, and have a Gold 'Finesse' stamped on them. Gag. Yes, I'm shallow. All that flash would be okay on a beginner, or someone younger, but it repels me. (You can now all shake your heads at me in disbelief)

And I did consider the coach boots. They look nice.

(Also, about your story of the stock/custom boots. There's times I think Harlick just sent me stock boots, they don't fit at all well. Custom boots and I still have to wear heel sleeves)

I'd look into other maker's custom boots.. either Klingbeil or SP-Teri can definitely make you what you want, but you'd need to work with a good fitter.  Getting things like a scallop (or two!) or an extra flex notches could help with your knee bend, and they'll definitely be able to make them to the stiffness (or lack of) you request. 

Ooooh, how much can I ask for? Extra flex notches, scallops. That sounds exciting.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »
BTW, I'm 64 and don't consider myself elderly.  I noticed tonight when buying airline tix, that once you hit 65, they consider you a senior citizen.  Not sure what that's about (certainly not discounts), but if it has to do with emergency exit seating, I bet I'm stronger and in better shape than many 40-ish men.

Well my forty year old male friends tell me I'm stronger than they are, but I've got glass knees. I think my knees were made for someone else, lived a hard life on the prarie, then transferred to me. :(

I'm old enough to order off the 55+ menu. To my disappointment, nobody cards me. ;D

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 06:44:48 PM »

Ooooh, how much can I ask for? Extra flex notches, scallops. That sounds exciting.

Klingbeils are one price for all the bells and whistles you want.

Well my forty year old male friends tell me I'm stronger than they are, but I've got glass knees. I think my knees were made for someone else, lived a hard life on the prarie, then transferred to me. :(

I'm old enough to order off the 55+ menu. To my disappointment, nobody cards me. ;D

My knees had the heck beat out of them when I was a roller dancer.  Using your toe stops to stop when skating backwards was SOP, and then my coach took them away :o.  He finally had to let me have them back, but smaller ones.  The knees do still work, fortunately, but I baby them with SkatingSafe gel knee pads, which I should probably wear all the time.

Wish we had those 55+ menus around here!  I was carded buying beer in a super market a few years ago.  The cashiers in that store had been told to card everyone without exception  88).

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
The knees do still work, fortunately, but I baby them with SkatingSafe gel knee pads, which I should probably wear all the time.

Wish we had those 55+ menus around here!  I was carded buying beer in a super market a few years ago.  The cashiers in that store had been told to card everyone without exception  88).

All hail Skating Safe knee pads. I wear them religiously. I took a nasty forward fall at speed that not only made my coach call out in horror, but every male figure skater on the ice was clustered around me before I could get up (little old lady surrounded by 4 men-I shoulda started skating in my 20s). I got up and felt zipp, nada, nothing. I love my skating safe knee pads.

I was *never* carded when I was young. Not for beer, ciggies, or booze.  I feel like I wasted my youth.

Anyway, so how do the extra notches work? Above the ankle? Below? I've seen scallops, it was only recently that I realized what they were for. I thought they were just pretty. (I'm so dumb)