You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What do you do with old skates?  (Read 4201 times)

Offline skatersmom29

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
What do you do with old skates?
« on: January 15, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but what do you do with broken down skates?  Do you just toss them in the trash or are they able to be recycled in some way?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: What do you do with old skates?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »
Right now I have 3 pairs of men's jacksons size 11 top of the line boots with parabolic blades in my living room. The Big Guy gave them to me to find a new guy with feet the size of boats to use as beginner's skates. It's a good idea, giving used skates to beginners who don't necessarily need the stiffness of freestyle skates. However, I can't find any man who has feet that big!

(On the other hand, I wish I could find someone to break my boots in for me)
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:10:30 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but what do you do with broken down skates?  Do you just toss them in the trash or are they able to be recycled in some way?

Given the usual state of rental skates, your "broken down" skates may be better in every way. Try putting them for sale in the Equipment and Services section of this board for starters, and accurately describe them. You never know who may find them useful.

Also post notes on the announcement boards of your rink (if they let you). I've seen lots of notes posted by individuals on rink bulletin boards over the years. These get seen by the general public who might be inclined to purchase lower-level or worn skates. What a lot of advanced figure skaters consider "worn out" can be perfect for someone starting out.

If they are REALLY bad, then maybe tossing them is best.
Bill Schneider

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
Right now I have 3 pairs of men's jacksons size 11 top of the line boots with parabolic blades in my living room. The Big Guy gave them to me to find a new guy with feet the size of boats to use as beginner's skates. It's a good idea, giving used skates to beginners who don't necessarily need the stiffness of freestyle skates. However, I can't find any man who has feet that big!

sorry, too small for my guy skater :)  at age 14 ... sigh. Trust me, there are guys out there with feet that size - !!!!! Actually, I'd list the blades somewhere: we get so frustrated with having to find the 11-1/2 inch blades he needs "in stock" - because the coupons and discount sales are always on "existing stock" not "special orders" that we know that the big size blades are not always easy to get.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 04:20:01 PM »
My kids' skates are always outgrown before they break down, so I usually put them on eBay.  I buy good skates and take care of them very well.  Had no luck selling for the first time ever, so I have two pair of perfectly good skates sitting here, gathering dust.  (Jackson Freestyles 4.5B/Mark IV blade, 5B/MK Double Star blade.)

I also have 2-3 pairs of my own skates that are broken down.  One pair have Figure blades one them, but I rarely use them.  The other are my spares, in case something happens to these.  They're not in great shape, but I could use them to teach in a pinch.

www.sk8stuff.com has the "skate exchange" lister, which lets you list skates/boots/blades to sell, but it's not well-known.

www.myskatingmall.com also lets you list stuff, but I feel like there's not a lot of used things listed, it's mainly their online vendors displaying new things.  They have so many listings (every model/size separate) that it makes finding anything else difficult.  (No criticism intended.)

Since I always know what I want and what size to get (measuring carefully), I have gotten some good bargains on gently-used skates over the internet, but that's not always the case.  I once bought skates on ebay that were at least 20 years old and useless.  I never thought to ask about the age.  Another time I bought two pair of skates from an online vendor and they sent regular-width when I needed (and ordered) wide skates.  There were two terrible purchases: the online photo showed perfect skates, but that was a stock photo.  When the skates arrived, one was noticeably yellow in color; it must have been in a window for a while so it discolored, but its mate was white.  The last mishap I had was ordering used Freestyles with Coronation Ace blades.  Photo looked great and it included soakers.  In the picture, the soakers were disguising the fact that the heel plate stuck out a good 1/4" longer than the sole.  (The blade was pretty much shot, too.)  I had to buy new blades in the proper length locally and get them mounted.

Has anyone ever sold skates through the Board's "Equipment and Services Available" section successfully?  I'd be willing to list the skates I have on hand and see if I get any response.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline skatersmom29

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:53:32 PM »
Thank you!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 01:34:59 AM »
I was able to sell a pair of used figure skates at my rink's skate swap. Ask if your rink or nearby rinks have skate sales and simply drop them off on the day of sale. Another pair of recreational skates was sold via craigslist.

My experience buying used items from myskatingmall.com was very positive, not sure about selling there. Forum posts... not quite.

Bonus of buying used skates!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 08:32:42 AM »
I had arch pain and adding cushioning insole helped alleviate that, so maybe your original pain didn't come from a too-high heel, but from needing a custom-cushioned insole?

You probably don't need a custom insole if the boot is fit and made right - the boot should be fit your foot.

No, there's no correlation there.  There's only so much a custom skate maker can do with the sole and outer part of the boot; it makes perfect sense that the insole needs to be customized for people with orthopedic issues.  (I have Plantar Fasciitis, heel spurs in both feet, high arches, and Morton's Toe.)

The insole is part of the boot and as such, should be customized to the skater.  All custom skate makers can/will do that, but many skaters choose third-party, custom orthotic/insole for corrections. 

My point was that your foot hurt, so you self-diagnosed it as a too-high heel.  Perhaps the insole just needed more cushioning, which the skate maker can add.  You'll never know.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 09:05:40 AM »
Skate swaps are a good source for used skates, IF you know what to look for in the first place.

Someone put his broken-down ice dance skates into the pool and they were purchased by a family for their son.  The blades had been adjusted for the original owner, set waaay to the inside and sunken into the sole at an angle.  The kid struggled with outside edges in every lesson.  He never did get two-foot spins down and couldn't hold a one-foot glide on the right foot.  I sent him to the pro shop but the parents didn't even want to have the skates sharpened ($) so they wouldn't pay for the corrections.

Then there are fitting issues: unless you have someone that knows how skates should fit, most skaters with narrow/wide feet end up with skates that are too wide/too long.

Just be wary.  If you don't know what to look for in used skates, ask someone who does to help you.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 09:22:53 AM »
I sent him to the pro shop but the parents didn't even want to have the skates sharpened ($) so they wouldn't pay for the corrections.

Off Topic: But I skated with a teenage girl a few years ago whose parents wouldn't let her use her blade guards because they cost money to replace. Some people are pennywise and pound foolish.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »
Wow - I'll bet they also didn't want to pay for the extra sharpenings that came about from not wearing the guards. 

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 12:28:47 PM »
Wow - I'll bet they also didn't want to pay for the extra sharpenings that came about from not wearing the guards. 

I kind of gasped that out to her when she told me. She just rolled her eyes. I guess when you've got parents like that you just learn to live with it.