You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: I need help for my daughter -- proning her ankles while skating?  (Read 3654 times)

Offline skatersmom29

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Hi!  I'm new here; looking for some advice.

My daughter has a pair of used Riedell 21s (sz 2B) with a Jubilee blade; her feet are 8" long, about 7 5/8" wide. I've had her sized twice - one pro told me 1.5 wide, another shop suggested 2 wide. She's been skating for one year -- started out in USFSA Basic lessons, but after Level 4 we started with a private coach. She skates for 1/2 hr lesson, once per week.

My problem is this: her feet are turning inward on her inside blades. She seems to do OK overall, but it's impacting her ability to do crossovers and spins because she's not balanced correctly. I tighten her boots as much as I can before she goes on the ice; her ankles seem a little small, as I don't seem to be able to tie the boot where it hugs her ankle.

I've asked her coach; she didn't really have suggestion outside of trying an insert. I first tried a drugstore arch support -- didn't help. So I thought she needed new boots. The first pro I spoke with (a visiting pro to our rink) didn't really have any suggestions. I then sent her measurements to a shop out of state and they didn't really offer much help either. They thought either have her blades remounted by them (they are over 3 hrs away from me), a new boot or to try Superfeet inserts. Because the shop was trying to sell me almost the same boot I had with an inferior blade, and I cannot drive there right now, I opted to order the Superfeet.

They seemed to help, but not eliminate the problem. I took some pictures of the way she stands in them after her last lesson: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48273938@N07/

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I don't want to buy new boots if I don't really need them. The skates were used, but I thought the support was still OK -- the boots are not creased anywhere and don't seem to bend in my hands. I'm stumped.

Thanks.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: I need help for my daughter -- proning her ankles while skating?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:27:45 PM »
You posted this somewhere else -- the photo isn't viewable by the public, which is probably why you didn't get many responses.  Just thought you'd like to know.

The Riedell 21's are the Blue Ribbon model.  If she's doing freeskate elements (spins, single revolution jumps), it's probably time to upgrade to a new skate model, regardless of the fit.

Boots really don't last forever and your daughter is the second owner.  It's possible the first owner broke the skates in by riding the inside edges and now your daughter has inherited that stance along with the boots.  The prior owners may have had the skates stretched, so the sizing is off.  Look at the skates when they're not on her feet - the blades should be perpendicular to the bottom of the boot.  The top of the boot should stand up pretty straight above the sole, not leaning or twisting. 

You can try new laces, which will make tying the skates easier and more snug, but I don't know if it will fix the problem.

I tighten her boots as much as I can before she goes on the ice; her ankles seem a little small, as I don't seem to be able to tie the boot where it hugs her ankle.
Maybe the skate size isn't the issue, perhaps the skate is too wide for her, which is why the insoles helped a little.  Superfeet insoles are thicker than Riedell's stock insoles, so they would "fill up" the void inside the skate and give her more control and a better stance when skating.

Get her feet measured, length and width, at the pro shop.  Make sure they use the Riedell measuring tool.  Blue Ribbon skates only come in Regular (B) and Wide (C), so you would have to order a different model if she needs a Narrow (A) width.

Is your daughter tall and/or skinny? 

What level is she skating at now?  (Jumps or spins she's learning?)
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 11:33:40 PM »
Y! Answer posts were right on the point, I would share my personal experiences still. Go to a good pro shop, 3+ hours trip will worth every second of it. They know the right tricks to compensate for things, blade alignment and shim insertion etc. Have them evaluate the condition of those boots, it's crucial for your daughter's safety.

Offline skatersmom29

• Rink Rat
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:43:11 PM »
Thank you.  I've heard since my Yahoo post about a local shop (well, an hour away) but I cannot call them until the weekend.  As far as I know, they only carry Riedells.  I'm hoping they carry more brands that we can try.

As far as I can see, anyone can see the photos.  Maybe if you aren't a member of Flickr...?  I'm new to this board; I'm not sure if I can upload a pic here.

I posted here to see if I could get more feedback.  The other post has been pretty quiet since the initial responses.

Offline skatersmom29

• Rink Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 11:45:09 PM »
Oh -- to answer the previous poster's question -- she is 4 ft 4 in tall and 59 lbs.  She's very tall for her age.  I'd call her skinny. 

She is doing two foot spins, learning crossovers, and hopefully will be attending her first Basic Skills Competition in a couple of months. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:48:13 PM »
Based on her height/weight and skating level, it's probably an okay model boot for her.

I don't have a FLickr account, so maybe that is the problem. I'm guessing her blades look like this:  / \

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:32:24 AM »
I was able to view the photos and to me (please note, I'm not a coach) they look like they're not tied tight enough through the hooks. If you are having trouble tying them tighter by hand maybe try a lacing hook?    They also look like they are very broken down in the ankle area.

Offline skatersmom29

• Rink Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:25:44 AM »
I was able to view the photos and to me (please note, I'm not a coach) they look like they're not tied tight enough through the hooks. If you are having trouble tying them tighter by hand maybe try a lacing hook?    They also look like they are very broken down in the ankle area.

Yes, I seem to tie them tightly and I do have a lacing hook.  I think I need to just buy her new skates, though I kept hoping there was a less expensive solution.  :(  Though, all this researching, reading, and buying the wrong stuff probably ended up being more expensive.

Thanks everyone.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »
We've had two pairs of Riedells (PVC soles too) that needed to have the blade remounted because they were "tilted" on the factory mount so that my kid was on an inside edge no matter what.  Just a thought - it might be a bad blade mount.  It happens on factory mounted skates; however, unless you have someone who is very good at remounting on PVC, which is unusual, you really don't have an option to fix it.