You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Build A Rink Game  (Read 24829 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Build A Rink Game
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
Rink will have a special section of the boards where there's no hockey glass, so they can take pictures of their dear little sweetums. Therefore, they won't be standing in the door.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »
I posted this in the rink rants thread by mistake :

We need some high-tech music setup where you can put a CD or MP3 player into the queue and have it played automatically, prioritize those on lesson or those who haven't yet gone, and limit the people who play their music six to eight times in a 45-minute lesson when there are others waiting.

While a volunteer can do the same thing, a cool rink would have a high-tech solution.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2011, 08:40:01 AM »
Coaches and rink guards will have the authority to put misbehaving kids into the hockey box for time out after three warnings.
This includes kids skating backwards and not looking where they're going.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2011, 03:49:06 PM »
An electronic wristband thing that all parents and children must wear when they enter the building.  Child wears wristband, parent wears wristband. Prevents parents from leaving the building and having rink guards or other skaters acting as unknowing and unpaid babysitters. Allows for emergency paging of parents when they are needed to attend to their children. GPS embedded allows for tracking of children to identify if they are in "inappropriate areas".

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »
Yes! Yes! to the electronic wristbands!! And they should be fastened like the security anti-shoplifting tags on clothes. So that the wearer cannot remove it and walk away from it.  They also need to wear these during group lessons so we can find the parents to take the potty-dancing child to the restroom in the middle of class.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »
I am imagining a hole in the fish tank glass with the back end of a hockey player sticking out, and fish all over the ice.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »
Sprayers that hockey players must walk through before and after skating for that tremendous stench they so proudly wear.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2013, 04:59:57 PM »
A proper viewing room (or lounge) above the rink that is warm and comfy for parents to sit and watch and chat.  Oh, and there is a full bar with full-time bartender.  ;D

(This idea based on the rink when I was growing up).

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »
An electronic wristband thing that all parents and children must wear when they enter the building.  Child wears wristband, parent wears wristband. Prevents parents from leaving the building and having rink guards or other skaters acting as unknowing and unpaid babysitters.

I don't see how this missed me, but this happened at my old rink. When the rink closed and there were left over kids, the cashier called the cops. Rink legend was the cops arrested the parents. Child abandonment or something. 

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »
Rink has to be helpful to public skaters (sport needs newbies):

1) Have great rental skates.  Laces at the proper length, not buckled at the ankle, slightly sharpened, all rivets in tact.

2) A big sign that shows how to lace up one's skates.  (How many times have I stopped to help newbies with rental skates NOT tied up right...)

3)  A big warning that the center of the ice is for figure skating only.

4)  Signs, information, and announcements that encourages the public skaters to take lessons.  Pubilc ice should be a sales pitch.

5)  Public sessions limited to 45 minutes.  No beginner should skate for more then 45 minutes, period.  If one can skate longer then that, then get on a hockey team or do freestyle.  Use the additional time for such things.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2013, 08:44:27 PM »
Encourage male figure skaters and female hockey skaters.

All male hockey players get FREE figure skating power class each week, but must wear figure skates.   Dance studios give free dance classes to boys, so why not the skating rink?

All female figure skaters can play in a yearly "flag/noncheck hockey" game, and must wear hockey skates.  Come on, we've all wanted to try hockey skates and do a slap shot, but were too darn afraid.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2013, 08:47:10 PM »
A real "parent cave" for all the skating moms & dads.  Big TVs, couches, wet bar, mini fridge, computer outlets, internet service, private exercise room . . . 

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »
A real "parent cave" for all the skating moms & dads.  Big TVs, couches, wet bar, mini fridge, computer outlets, internet service, private exercise room . . .

Masseuse

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2013, 09:11:55 PM »
One masseuse?  No, need a gaggle of message therapists with names like Hilda and Swen with big strong hands for moms, dads, skaters, and coaches.

Offline Cush

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
Gatorade dispenser.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »
Gatorade dispenser.

Free champagne when you or your kid gets an axel.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2013, 11:27:33 PM »
5)  Public sessions limited to 45 minutes.  No beginner should skate for more then 45 minutes, period.  If one can skate longer then that, then get on a hockey team or do freestyle.  Use the additional time for such things.

Public skaters don't show up at the start of the session.  And they have to wait to rent their skates.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
An electronic wristband thing that all parents and children must wear when they enter the building.  Child wears wristband, parent wears wristband. Prevents parents from leaving the building and having rink guards or other skaters acting as unknowing and unpaid babysitters. Allows for emergency paging of parents when they are needed to attend to their children. GPS embedded allows for tracking of children to identify if they are in "inappropriate areas".

Adult skaters need bracelets too.  Otherwise they will be accused of breaking the wristband rule.  Or trying to kidnap a child.

Actually this is a pretty creepy idea.  How about telling parents they have to watch their children?  Or offering paid babysitters (sometimes called Junior Coaches).

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »
The poster said kids and parents would both wear wristbands, why would adult skaters without any kids present need them?  The point is to match up parents and their kids, not to make a fashion statement. 

Some Chuck E Cheese restaurants provide matching RFID-enabled wristbands for parents&kids attending parties at the rink, just to ensure that parents don't leave during the party and little ones don't wander outside looking for them.   When it's time to leave the party place, the parent-and child(ren) present their wristbands at the exit.  The attendant checks to make sure they match before cutting them off so they don't set off the alarm.  The CECs that did this were in busy, high traffic shopping centers, ime.

You can tell parents whatever you want, but that doesn't stop some from leaving little kids unattended.  Plus, mix ups do happen.  I have three kids and I babysat my sister's kids a lot when I was a teenager.  It's really easy to have a kid slip away in a crowded place, especially if you're caring for more than one at a time and they have similar colored clothing.  Considering what I've seen happen at playgrounds, bracelets are a decent security net to keep everyone on the up-and-up discreetly.  I think it's a technology solution to an age-old problem that's far riskier today than ever.  I don't think a teenage babysitter is any better or worse.  Kids can, and will, get away from supervision.  Sometimes, it is a game, sometimes, its just an accident.  Look away for 2 secs because one kid got hurt and the other can run off to a part of the rat maze where you can't see them.  It happens. 

Going with the original theme:  Sometimes, little ones want to go skating, but their parents are often unable to skate themselves for a variety of reasons.  At my imaginary rink, I would hire a few teenage "skate buddies" who would skate with little ones for a half-hour, not so much as a teacher, but more like a friend.  Just holding hands, encouraging and helping them up if they fall.  The requirements would be something like the Red Cross Babysitting certification course, just in case the child does get hurt.    Beginners would have to wear helmets, gloves and pants.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
The poster said kids and parents would both wear wristbands, why would adult skaters without any kids present need them?

I was implying that some people do not realize adults figure skate, so they would  assume an adult without a wristband was breaking the rule, or worse.  Also, they might think "If that person is not wearing a wrist band, I don't need to either."

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »
Oh, I see.  Chuck E Cheese doesn't have a lot of "Adult 1" parties, so I didn't understand your point.  I thought you were implying that only parents were getting the wristbands and everyone else was a pedophile by default.   Meh.  Some rinks do that and have the skate guards check so require that all skaters wear wristbands so that no one can sneak on the ice without paying.  The rink guards check for the wristbands.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »
Oh, I see.  Chuck E Cheese doesn't have a lot of "Adult 1" parties, so I didn't understand your point.  I thought you were implying that only parents were getting the wristbands and everyone else was a pedophile by default.   Meh.  Some rinks do that and have the skate guards check so require that all skaters wear wristbands so that no one can sneak on the ice without paying.  The rink guards check for the wristbands.

I've seen kids kicked out of the building for skating without the tags, but regulars seem to get a pass. At one rink the cashier gave me  freebie when I realized I'd left my cash in the car and already had my boots on. The joys of being a regular and learning everyone's name.