You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Annie's Edges - sf 2/2010  (Read 10381 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Annie's Edges - sf 2/2010
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:17:47 AM »
02-07-2010, 07:20 PM miraclegro  Annie's edges

Okay, so my coach tells me to look for "Annie's edges" CD or DVD for rhythmic skating moves/etc. (looking for timing for the Intermediate power crossovers)....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02-10-2010, 06:05 AM Mrs Redboots

Wonderful exercises. Devised by Anne Schelter (I think that is how it is spelt), who also devised the Circle Cycle of exercises. Well worth tracking down, if you can. E-bay might have them, or someone here might have contact details for Anne and PM you with them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02-10-2010, 06:55 AM Isk8NYC

I didn't know there were DVDs - I'd buy them in a heartbeat, sight unseen!

A Quest! If I find current information, I'll post a link.

Update:

I feel like such a stalker.
 It looks like she'll be in the US during May 2010.

There's a May 2010 Synchro camp at the Haydenettes home rink where Anne Schelter is going to be a guest coach.
 She was invited to speak at the PSA Conference at the end of May 2010 (not confirmed yet).

Found some contact information from 2004, but it might be out of date.
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/EIFSA/message/2217

02-10-2010, 08:31 AM sk8tmum

For Canadians in the GTA, the Scarboro Figure Skating Club is running an Annie's Edges seminar on March 15th. Enrollment forms are on their website, look for the Turning Energy into Art Seminar.

www.sfsc.on.ca

02-10-2010, 12:45 PM RachelSk8er

Annie's Edges is big in synchro. We always did some of her drills to warm up at practices with the last few teams I was on.

I still do them at the start of each session to warm up. Sometimes they can be tricky on crowded sessions (people don't realize you'll be holding an edge on a circle and backtracking rather than continuing down the ice and don't know how to stay out of your way), but I think they're worth doing and getting good at. It really helps develop some of the edge control you get from doing figures, but it's not quite as boring.

As far as where to get the stuff, I have no clue. I think it was presented at a synchro coaches conference in the US circa 2003 (or maybe even a coaches seminar at '03 worlds in Ottawa, I think Anne is from Canada and the trend def started with teams there) and a lot of the coaches brought it back to their teams to do. I'd never heard of it prior to that, but it seemed like starting around that time every team was doing it.

02-12-2010, 05:02 PM Isk8NYC

I inquired through another channel and received a response from Ms. Schelter herself! Here's what she had to say about her materials and their availability:

The original Annie's Edges is still available, but it was designed for coaches to set up an edge class at their club or school. It consists of a manual, a video and 10 rhythm tracks (played at 2 different tempos). 20 years after its release it is still a popular teaching tool around the world.

I don't think it is suitable for individual students, but I do recommend "Elements of Basic Skating" a video I made for the ISU which is available from them. There are demonstrations of many exercises to develop good solid basics, and it shows how those basics follow through to the elite championship level. At 40 swiss francs I think it is a good deal!

Can you imagine creating something that's still popular, 20 years later? Incredible.

The "Elements of Basic Skating" video is listed on this ISU.org page: http://www.figureskating.biz/vsite/vcontent/page/custom/0,8510,4844-128617-129925-35253-165849-custom-item,00.html

Ms. Schelter is coaching at these open workshops this year:
 March 2010: Toronto - Scarborough Seminar (sk8tmum posted the link, above)
 May 2010: Massachusetts - Hayden Synchro Camp
 August 2010: Canmore, Alberta - Adult Week

02-12-2010, 06:48 PM twokidsskatemom

I tried to get her once to come to our club, but she was priced too high. She answers her own phone as well lol.
She has been here before but it was at least 15 years ago.Our club did have her tapes but they have since walked away.

02-12-2010, 06:48 PM slusher

My old skating club had the video (VCR) and cassette tapes with the rhythm music. They had no idea what they had and during one summer clean up some new volunteers they threw out the cassettes, since all the "skating music" was on CD at that point.

I've been to the seminars and highly recommend them.

02-13-2010, 05:23 AM Mrs Redboots

I'd love to do a seminar with her.

At our rink, sometimes someone puts on the Circle Cycle music, and the whole rink stops what it's doing and starts doing CC exercises! Great fun.

02-15-2010, 08:43 PM miraclegro

Soo, is there any way for coaches to order the coaches package she mentioned in the first part of her response? I'd like to check into both.....thanks for everyone trying to help me locate....

02-15-2010, 09:00 PM miraclegro

Sorry, i just saw that one post. I didn't realize it was so expensive. Will try to look into it....

02-15-2010, 09:52 PM twokidsskatemom

compared to her per day price, the tapes are a great deal!

02-16-2010, 12:43 PM sk8ergalgal

I was fortunate enough to do two seminars with her. She is a funny lady! Did some great footwork sessions and interpretive sessions with her.

02-17-2010, 08:28 AM RachelSk8er

Just a thought...have any of you done a search for video demonstrations on You Tube? I'm at work now and it's blocked otherwise I'd do it myself.

02-17-2010, 03:57 PM sk8lady

No luck, unless you want information about a movie called "Edge of Seventeen" with music by Annie Lennox. A search of Annie Schelter on Youtube brought up an animal shelter hoping to find an owner for a cat named Annie. Oh well.

02-18-2010, 07:38 AM IMO

I came across this site a while back when I was looking for Annie's Edge tapes to purchase (and then promptly forgot about it...) - it looks like a demo site made for an online coaches' education type site, but has a few pattern demonstrations:

http://www.graphic-design.ca:16080/~bhole/KTGdemo/

02-18-2010, 07:57 AM Isk8NYC

That's a WONDERFUL site, Imo! Thanks for posting it.

<< End of Archived Topic >>
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright