You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ford Ice Center (Nashville, TN)  (Read 3143 times)

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
Ford Ice Center (Nashville, TN)
« on: August 27, 2019, 09:26:04 PM »
I went to an early morning freestyle session there last week when I was there for work. There are two surfaces there. Freestyle is $15/hour and you need to call ahead to reserve a spot. I was the only one on the ice for about 30 minutes before 2 other adults showed up.

Surface was Zammed just before I got on. Rink was not too cold or too warm. Felt like a concrete bottom so the ice was hard.

The facility itself is beautiful. Sadly, no signs of Scott Hamilton when I was there.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Ford Ice Center (Nashville, TN)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 11:31:10 AM »
I've only been there for special events, so he has been there to speak or participate.  He is so gracious to take photos/sign autographs and chat with people, never rushing off.  (Today is his, and my own, birthday, btw.)  Scott mentioned that he's an unpaid volunteer for the facility and his program.  He doesn't coach, per se, but does help out with classes now and then.  I'd think you'd run into him during the first class of a new Learn to Skate session.

A unique feature of the Ford Ice Center is that they have electric vehicle charging spots, so you can charge your car while you skate.  We have had two electric vehicles but due to time, we've flown instead of driving there.  One of these days, we'll take the Tesla on a road trip and stop there.

I really like that facility.  It's always clean and well-maintained.  The snack bar is ordinary, but again, clean and the workers are pleasant.  The locker rooms were immaculate, which was really surprising considering the amount of use! 

I did not see a harness line on either rink; I believe the coaches use a pole harness instead.  That may change with the SHARP4Sports program's launch at the facility.  The planned off-ice classes are substantial. 

(S4S has a virtual learning environment for youth and adult skaters, with webinars for various topics.  I don't remember if they have off-ice classes in their online curriculum.)

The pro shop is way too much hockey - I wonder where the figure skaters get their gear?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 213
Re: Ford Ice Center (Nashville, TN)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 07:13:08 AM »
I was there for the August competition. Entirely agree- it's a nice facility. We were warned in the introductory email that the rink tended to be frigid, but I found it to be quite pleasant. My home rink is colder, even during the early morning events.

Alas, I also missed Scott Hamilton. Took a picture with the standee in the lobby instead. ;D