You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Anyone else do Crossfit?  (Read 3129 times)

Offline KillianL

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
Anyone else do Crossfit?
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »
I've been skating for five years now, seemingly hopelessly stuck at USFS Adult Silver / ISI FS4.  Three months ago I started Crossfit, and apart from feeling totally broken all the time, I've lost a couple of dress sizes and gained a solid camel and bigger jumps.  I now feel like the FS5 ceiling is only a glass one, and before long I'll punch through it.  Has anyone else here tried Crossfit as your off-ice training?  Do you have any wisdom, cautions, or encouragement to share?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Anyone else do Crossfit?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 03:18:43 AM »
What's crossfit?

I've recently taken up rollerskiing (cross-country skiing on dry land - there's not much snow in the UK) and that's really increased my upper body strength (I'm recovering from a shoulder operation so I'm a little lopsided in that department) and also increased the strength of my legs. The things it's improved are my twizzles (not sure how!) and my jumps are bigger and my legs being stronger means I can manage a camel-spin with a much greater frequency. As I'm only doing it once a week, I only feel broken for a couple of days after and deliberately don't skate the day after.

Offline KillianL

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »
Crossfit is a high intensity exercise program with dynamic exercises.  We train the entire body through challenging movements and activities that comprise a WOD (workout of the day): some are for speed and endurance such as machine rows and runs/sprints, some are complex and challenge total-body coordination like Olympic lifts and gymnastics skills, some train for explosive power like plyometric jumps, some exercises are geared toward general strength such as pull-ups, push-ups, burpees, and so forth.  Every day is different, but I've never left a WOD without feeling totally spent - it's more effective as exercise for me than skating has been in years.  We do lots of squats and core work which has been most helpful with skating.  I can't believe the difference, just this morning I jumped a huge lutz.  I could hardly rotate a lutz before Crossfit!  Next step:  Axel.

We have in common that I feel physically whipped after Crossfit like you do after rollerskiiing.  I can only manage every-other-day thanks to DOMS!

Offline gypsy_82

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 02:51:28 PM »
I love crossfit, and was working with a gym and awesome trainers for almost a year when the gym was sold and eliminated the Crossfit program.  My former trainers are in the process of opening their own Crossfit gym (should be open in a few weeks). 

Crossfit has helped my skating so much, my jumps are bigger, my stamina is better and I am overall more fit.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 04:58:52 PM »
Yes, I do crossfit as well.  Now that I've been at it for a year, it doesn't hurt as much the next day as it did the first year.  I already had a pretty good Axel but it's now carrying better and bigger and I'm able to rotate and land 2s and recently 2t.  I am also working with my trainers on flexibility and have added a couple new spins to my repertoire.  I love it because it's never the same twice

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 10:11:08 AM »
I hadn't see my podiatrist (who is also a hockey coach) for a couple of years, he started Crossfit and it really changed him.

I just don't think there's a good match for a 63 year old woman in Crossfit otherwise I'd give it a try.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 11:51:25 PM »
My kids do crossfit two to three days a week. Agnes they are in an adult noon class that has older folks/them/ people in their 20s, and they  modify things for the older ones. You could give it a try!