You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ideas to keep muscles strong?  (Read 2929 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Ideas to keep muscles strong?
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:40:19 AM »
Since she is now in a walking cast and needs crutches only when out and about for longer periods of time, any suggestions of things she can do that don't involve one leg? 

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Ideas to keep muscles strong?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:58:17 AM »
How old?  that helps determine what is appropriate for maintaining muscle strength.  It's also hard for a "Board" to give you recommendations, as we don't know the type of break, where it is, what is contraindicated, etc.  I might suggest swimming ... but, if that pulls on the leg in the wrong way, it could mess her recovery up.

A physiotherapist can certainly give you a range of exercises that will build and maintain muscle strength, and should be your first line of defense; plus, it will give you a good working relationship for when the cast comes off, as you will certainly need a physio then. 

My kid sat for 6 weeks in a full leg cast; got back on the ice, and took about 6 to 9 months to recover lost ground with weekly intense physiotherapy.  We did physio and training while the cast was in place, but, also took the time to rest and do mental recovery.  However, if we had not involved the physio from day one, I know (and the orthopod confirms, as do all of the sports medicine experts and experienced coaches), the recovery would have been far longer and far less successful.

Don't let the length of time it took my kid to recover discourage you though: they're all different, and we also had to compensate for a growth spurt during the sitting period, which would have slowed us down regardless. Also, having to go back and slow down things allowed for a focus on singles and basic skating which have certainly paid off in the long run.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:53:49 AM »
She is ten and it is a growth plate fracture in her ankle.  I'm not looking at bothering the injured leg, but stretches/something for the rest of her would keep her from being bored and to stay limber.  She is in a walking cast.  She sees the ortho in 2 weeks to determine next steps (more booting and/or therapy).

Swimming has been allowed, but we don't have regular access to a pool and the beach is more difficult to access (long walk on uneven surface).

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »
Can you talk to the doctor about starting PT as soon as possible?  There may be a lot she can do to at least maintain muscle strength in the uninjured leg - it's really better not to wait. 

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
I spoke with the nurse for the ortho and she said that he doesn't normally rx PT for kids.  She is going to see if he will for dd.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
I spoke with the nurse for the ortho and she said that he doesn't normally rx PT for kids.  She is going to see if he will for dd.

Most kids her age aren't athletes!  I hope it works out :)

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 11:59:39 AM »
Just saw this post and condolences - my daughter has always driven me crazy when injured and not able to skate. She has recently recovered from an injury which had her doing nothing for over two months. We found a personal trainer (very qualified in "corrective remedial training" with a masters degree in sports medicine) who gave my daughter strengthening programs when she was allowed to exercise. Exercises are loosely related to pilates but they vary and every month we get a new program that my daughter does 3 times a week.

To encourage your daughter though, do tell her that during her time off my daughter grew a stack (she is now 5'6 tall) but is landing more jumps than ever in the under 2 months that she has been back to jumping. (About 6 weeks of being allowed to do doubles). Initially allowed to skate but not jump and then singles..... intitial return to doubles and double doubles meant a groin strain and couple of weeks off jumping again. However now she feels with additional maturity doing jumps again almost "from scratch" means she has corrected jump technique better than ever and that its helped her. Please tell your daughter not to lose hope.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:12:53 PM »
It was silly to think I could get ideas....she started PT last week and they are really working at her not only getting her ankle back in shape but helping to strengthen the entire leg and hip (weakened from the cast). Every session she does the exercises and they make sure she is doing them corrctly at home and then they change and add things in.  Her doc thought PT wasn't necessary, but I can see it is a HUGE help.  So in this area "see a professional" really pays off.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 05:05:32 PM »
That is good news :)  PT probably isn't necessary for the "average" person with her injury, but like I said, your daughter's not average, she's an athlete, and the extra time spent doing this now will not only prevent re-injury because she won't be losing as much muscle tone, but it will help her recovery go faster, and an extra benefit is that now she has something to "do" to keep herself busy while she's off the ice.