You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: PIC skates, Snow White skates, etc  (Read 17002 times)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
PIC skates, Snow White skates, etc
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »
Has anyone tried PIC or Snow White inline skates?  How do they compare to ice?  Can you do same footwork on the inlines as you can do on ice (three turns, brackets, etc)?  How is the weight?  Can you use them on asphalt or is there too much friction?    Please share your experiences!   
I was thinking of getting a pair and supplementing my ice training on the days that I can't go to the rink ( mostly I would use them for footwork).

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: PIC skates, Snow White skates, etc
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:25:16 PM »
I only have regular inlines due to money, time and surface available, but there is some info here...

http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,1696.0/wap2.html

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »
Can you use them on asphalt or is there too much friction?

Asphalt is better than concrete because it has no expansion joints.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:28:53 PM »
I've never tried inline skates, but I read that Snow Whites are lighter than PIC skates.

However, inline skating is different from ice skating, so I'm not sure how much it would help. How about doing strength training instead on off-ice days?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:55 PM »
However, inline skating is different from ice skating, so I'm not sure how much it would help. How about doing strength training instead on off-ice days?

I think for basic stroking they are basically the same. I used to ice skate and rollerblade using the exact same technique and enjoyed both. Now the regular rollerblades just feel too heavy and the lack of edges irritates me, not to mention trying to stop with the last wheel (thinking of ice skate heel) - yikes.

Really curious how PIC or Snow White wheels resemble edges, toe picks, rockers etc. As far as surface is concerned, can you get to wooden floor?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:46:15 PM »
Asphalt is better than concrete because it has no expansion joints.

You must not live in Texas :)

Here we get huuuuuuge cracks which they then attempt to seal with tar (it doesn't work, and on top of that they get sticky in the summer).... some can be every bit as bad (or worse) than expansion joints.

That said I've never tried my pic skates on asphalt... only on concrete or clay (tennis courts).

I think the experience may be different/better on a wooden roller skating floor, but around here we don't have any (the two local roller rinks are more like general purpose sports arenas with sport court floors... which is like a plastic mesh material) and I found that trying to skate outside on concrete was scary and not even close to replicating ice skating.  My pic frames are sitting in a box.. not sure I want to get rid of them, but I don't skate on them either.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:07:17 AM »
You must not live in Texas :)

I live in frost heave city, where it is too cold to patch the potholes for several months a year.  Fortunately there is a recently paved asphalt bike path nearby.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »
I use PIC skates in the off season when we have no ice (i.e. now).

Using them outdoors works fine, but it really wears expensive wheels fast. In one long skating session on our university's asphalt bike path about ten years ago I wore out a set of stock wheels. The inside edges had been carved away in that short time, and I had to replace them. Granted, the stock wheels are a softer rubber than regular inlines and I could have replaced them with more suitable wheels, but I essentially just quit outdoor skating because of a better option for me.

Since that time, I limit my PIC skating to a wood-floor roller rink, and skate about 2-hrs. per week. At the rink with a smooth floor, I can do all three turns - [some not as well as others]. The technique is a little different because of the way wheels will grab if your technique is sloppy or hurried. It's unforgiving and scary while you're learning, but your threes will be SO MUCH BETTER once you hit the ice again.

I find also that the extra friction/effort results in better knee bend and power back on the ice. It's a great strength training tool.

Spins...ummm, I'd rather not. I have done them but they are much slower than ice, and technique has to be pretty good to even initiate the spin.

Jumps aren't that much different from ice.

The feel of PICS is remarkably similar to ice skating especially for just stroking around. However the advanced turns, etc. are familiar - but are still different enough to require some adjustment.
Bill Schneider

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »
What is worth practicing on PIC skates because of it's benefits when you transfer to ice? i'm debating getting some snow whites. I'm thinking the road outside my house might be suitable, so I don't want to risk anything that might falls (it looks a lot harder than ice!).

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 03:23:39 PM »
Stroking and mohawks in particular shouldn't be much different from ice. That's a start. You could try three turns if you are somewhat proficient with them on ice, but trying to learn them for the first time on PICS would probably result in some nasty falls. On asphalt, that really hurts.

It basically boils down to what you already feel somewhat comfortable doing on ice. Practice those items, and improvement will show back on ice. The technique is less forgiving on inlines than on ice. Keep it simple until you build confidence and mastery, and learn the differences between ice and inlines.

Personally, I'd get knee and elbow pads if you are just starting out. The falls can be much more serious than on ice.
Bill Schneider

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
Thanks Bill S for your informative feedback!  Exactly what I was looking for!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »
Also, don't skate in PICS (or any rollerblades/roller skates) on even the slightest hill.

That's probably obvious, but when I was 19 and I thought I'd go rollerblading around the unfamiliar neighborhoods near my boyfriend's new apartment, well, it wasn't so obvious. And trying to take notes and tests with a broken right hand in college isn't easy.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 02:07:53 AM »
Also, don't skate in PICS (or any rollerblades/roller skates) on even the slightest hill.

That's probably obvious, but when I was 19 and I thought I'd go rollerblading around the unfamiliar neighborhoods near my boyfriend's new apartment, well, it wasn't so obvious. And trying to take notes and tests with a broken right hand in college isn't easy.

Glad I'm not the only one who did that. I ended up going rather too fast towards a junction where buses regularly appeared from. I decided that I didn't want to get squashed so looked for an alternative, it was a choice between the holly hedge or the lamppost. I had this great idea of swinging around the lamppost. I went smack in the middle. Nothing broken thankfully but a rather large bruise down the centre of my body.
Lesson learnt, only rollerblade on the flat. It's that fear I had when thinking about PIC skates. Elbow and knee pads sound like a really good idea.

Offline Cush

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
I own Snow White skates. I got them because they are lighter and wheel base is short making footwork easy. I also saw Courtney Donovan at nationals and worlds skating on Snow Whites. I skate only on the wooden floors of the roller rink as I was told that my wheels will disappear pretty quickly on rough surfaces. I can do everything I have learned on the ice so far.
I'm fairly new to ice skating, taking group lessons once per week. Right now I am working on neatening up outside three turns, mohawks, crossovers going forwards, crossovers while going backward, and crosses behind while going forward, along with all the various kinds of stops. Oh, and two foot spin.

Everything I learn from the coach on the ice at Friday class, I try at the roller rink the following Monday and Thursday.
Regular stroking and all the crosses are exactly the same. Took a lot more effort at first to get the same amount of momentum as on the ice, but I have since changed my bearings and changed wheels and now I can fly around faster.  Initially attempting three turns and mohawks were TERRIFYING!!! The stock wheels just grab hold of the floor, very sticky! I have switched to the Synergy wheelset which has a little bit flatter profile and slightly tougher material. These wheels are great for turns and for the little spin I can do, but watch out while going fast around the ends of the rink.

Hoping I can attach a picture here of both my skates together.

Offline Cush

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 07:47:54 PM »
Oh, and I agree with Bill_S 100%. Falls hurt more for sure!
Make sure to wear pads on the knees (and maybe even elbows) to start with. T-Stop didn't work much for me at first as I wasn't used to the grippiness of the wheels. Took me down on my knees a couple times. Instead of trying to do the T-Stop straight off the Roller coach at the rink taught me to position my foot as though I would do the TStop, but drag the toe stop instead. Now I'm used to the feel and can stop just fine even with the wheels down, but I choose to keep using the toe stop to save my wheels from wear.

Offline Bianca

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 05:51:22 AM »
I have tried both PICs (4 wheel version) and Snow Whites.  I prefer the Snow White because my feet are small and the back wheel of the PIC stuck out too far so I tripped over it.  If your feet are bigger this wouldn't be a problem.

Forward 3 turns are easy in both but I thought backward 3 turns were easier in PICS because of the rockered back wheel. 

I don't like spinning in either because I can only do it "ice style" which means I go up on the toe stop.  The Snow White toe stop has an adjustable height which is good especially if you skate outdoors since they wear away FAST.  I found I can jump and spin much easier on the snow white if I adjust the toe stop quite low, but then it is too wide so if I go on a deep edge it catches and I trip.

I can do rockers, counters, 3turns and brackets on both, once you get used to them it's pretty similar to ice and I think the roller skates improved my turns on the ice.

The weight doesn't bother me on PICS or snow white you just get used to it and it's good over training so my ice jumps were higher.

One thing I don't like about inlines is that you have to land your jumps flat footed - not on the toe stop- .  If you try to land forward on your toe like you do on ice you fall...

Because of the big toe stop I think toe loops are easier on snow whites than on ice,  waltz and salchow are about the same,  I struggle a little with loops because my backspin isn't great on snow whites, flip is ok, i can do axel without crossing my feet and I can't get my double sal on wheels yet but I think it's just a fear issue.

It's much easier to spin and do everything indoors, I practice spinning in my living room but never outside because it wears away the toe pick... I am almost able to spin roller style now ...off the toe pick... Then I will spin outside

Anyway edges, power pulls, cross overs, all that stuff is pretty transferable from ice to wheels.  In Germany the rinks are closed 6 months out of the year so for me it's wheels or nothing.  I love skating outside alone during a sunrise .. It's not as good as ice but it's the next best thing. 

I am curious about trying quads at some point too. SORRY this is so LONG. I just think about this a lot!

Happy skating everyone!

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 06:39:44 AM »
Thank you Bianca,  that was a really useful reply. I had wondered why there were so many Germans who did artistic inline!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
Bianca, thank you so much for sharing your experience!  It was very very helpful!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »
Another thanks to Bianca.

Out of curiosity, where do you practice your inline skating most? I don't remember many roller rinks in Germany.

Offline Bianca

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »
I skate outside at a sports stadium.  They have a flat concrete area for roller hockey.

This is one of my favorite inline videos ... This guy is awesome on Snow Whites and he's skating on the street!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 06:45:09 PM »
I skate outside at a sports stadium.  They have a flat concrete area for roller hockey.

This is one of my favorite inline videos ... This guy is awesome on Snow Whites and he's skating on the street!

He does make the footwork section look easy! And lol at the car driving by while he attempts sit spin on the street!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 04:09:04 AM »
I skate outside at a sports stadium.  They have a flat concrete area for roller hockey.

I think that concludes that footwork on the street is perfectly possible on Snow Whites. Probably would help if I was half as good as that guy...
He's a pretty awesome skater. I loved his rocker choctaws.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
I found a used pair of pic frames for my younger DD when she was at about the Juv level.  She put them on and was able to do almost everything right away.  I strongly recommend using ALL the protective gear if you skate outdoors: helmet, knee & elbow pads, wrist guards.  Pavement of any kind can really tear up the soft tissue.  DD has a lovely scar on her shoulder from skating in the driveway. 
My glass is half full :)