You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Thoracic Spine Rotation  (Read 2777 times)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Thoracic Spine Rotation
« on: March 12, 2012, 07:13:15 AM »
I had a car accident nearly 4 years ago which has caused some damage to my thoracic spine. This is mainly healed although I lack some rotation in the spine. I've still got a lot of flexibility in all other directions, it's just rotation that's missing. This is now hindering my skating as I'm struggling to hold edges long enough prior to turns and it's preventing me doing the back double rockers correctly (I have to turn completely to forwards on the back rocker whereas you should be isolating the hip movement from the spine).

I've some exercises I'm working on with my pilates instructor (I see him through PT) to help this and my coach is now embarking on a regime of on ice exercises, I'm just wondering if anyone has any other exercises I can try. 

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: Thoracic Spine Rotation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »
Just wondering -- are the exercises prescribed by your coach approved by your PT? I think it's best if they know what each other is doing...

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:12:27 AM »
Just wondering -- are the exercises prescribed by your coach approved by your PT? I think it's best if they know what each other is doing...

I'm no longer under the care of a PT. I just use the pilates instructor who works with the PTs. The on ice exercises I'm doing with my coach I'm in control of the degree of rotation and I won't push myself beyond what my back is capable of doing (I'm not a fan of it going into spasm).
I'm more curious to know what other people have done to increase this range of motion. It's a bit like having the exercises needed to stretch out into the splits or a spreadeagle as my limitation is muscular and not to do with my spine. 

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »
By rotation in the spine, do you mean checking?

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »
You should go back to the PT and ask for some stretches. Most are happy to oblige as they know that you are continuing in your recovery far beyond your actual period in PT.  If you think you need more PT you might be able to ask your doctor for another round, especially if it impacts certain areas of your daily life-turning your torso during driving, dressing, etc. especially if you still feel unsteady or unsafe. Never hurts to ask.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 05:09:33 AM »
I've spoken to a PT and I'm already doing the exercises they recommend. I was just wondering if anyone had any more interesting exercises.

And the spine rotation is pretty much what is needed for checking. I'm actually quite strong in my check within my range of motion, the coach is just looking for a deeper range of motion. One of the obvious places where I struggle is stepping forwards from backwards. If I step outside the circle (ie from a back outside edge), I struggle to open up enough and transfer my weight.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »
I've spoken to a PT and I'm already doing the exercises they recommend. I was just wondering if anyone had any more interesting exercises.

And the spine rotation is pretty much what is needed for checking. I'm actually quite strong in my check within my range of motion, the coach is just looking for a deeper range of motion. One of the obvious places where I struggle is stepping forwards from backwards. If I step outside the circle (ie from a back outside edge), I struggle to open up enough and transfer my weight.

The best way to improve range of motion is to mimic the movements you wish to improve on. Off-ice you can do the same movement (turning forwards to backwards) and hold the stretch for a few seconds.  Each time you repeat the move, you should be able to hold and deepen the stretch.  It might not be much at first but eventually you will find your range increasing.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!