You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: how bad is cycling?  (Read 7889 times)

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
how bad is cycling?
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »
Daughter 13 injured - possible L5 stress fracture. Driving us all insane and very miserable not exercising. Has been swimming 3 times a week (orthopedic surgeon says OK). Past weekend she tried an exercise bike - loved it and no pain to back - did 10 miles quite quickly and felt better than she has for weeks. (Surgeon says she can do anything that doesn't hurt). She would have done much more had I allowed it.

Off-ice coach at rink things cycling is just about the worst thing in the world for skating. Is this a universal opinion? She kept RPM high and tension on machine low and stretched hip flexors well after this..... Just trying to preserve our sanity. She is restless to the point of not being able to watch a movie on TV at home due to the lack of exercise.

It does seem pain on walking easing which is good news and no longer bruised/swollen over that vertabra.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
Re: how bad is cycling?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 05:26:09 PM »
Wow! I've never heard that cycling is "bad." It works the quads and if you take your hands off the bars you can work your core and arms. Obviously cycling doesn't substitute for skating but it is a great workout if you do it correctly (adding resistance, etc.). I've noted for years that top skaters use the bike, espcially for warm-ups.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
I have heard that cycling is bad for skaters because it tightens hip flexors and works quads disproportionately.  But if you stretch diligently afterwards and add hamstrings training to compensate, then it should not be much of an issue.

Did you have the MRI then, is it definite that the injury is a stress fracture?  What is the recovery/ return to skating timeline?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 07:51:57 PM »
My PT always has me cycle when my knees get messed up- she knows I skate and recommends it as a complimentary exercise- to help work my inner quad, which skating does not.

It can't be incredibly horrible for skating though, because they always show a row of stationary bicycles "backstage" at nationals with a bundle of senior competitors on them warming up (while the event is in progress)

Offline rsk8d

• Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »
Cycling is perfectly fine for a skater, just not at a high tension, which will bulk up the quads.  I do interval training on a spin bike alternating sitting and standing.  It's a great way to mimic the highs and lows of heart rate in a program.  As a previous poster said, it is important to stretch the quads and hip flexors (psoas).  So keep her cycling!
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:44:32 AM »
I have heard that cycling is bad for skaters because it tightens hip flexors and works quads disproportionately.  But if you stretch diligently afterwards and add hamstrings training to compensate, then it should not be much of an issue.

Bingo :)

I'm a cyclist.. it's what I do on the weeks I don't skate much.  I sometimes swim too, but that involves more effort than pulling on a pair of shorts and strapping on my shoes.  I live in the country so I have miles and miles of interesting roads to explore... to go swim involves a 20 minute drive each way so I only do that when the weather is too bad to go ride.

Anyways, I have a bilateral pars defect at L5 which means that vertebrae is in two pieces, and I do have some other issues in relation to it (spondylolisthesis) but it hasn't really been a huge problem most of the time.  When initially diagnosed when I was 14 (with a very acute onset of pain/swelling/inability to do anything but lay around and not move because it hurt so bad, went through x-rays, an MRI, steroid injections, etc) it was thought to have been due to an injury, which is very common, but further testing when I was 23 (two more MRI's, plus a myelogram and EMG) proved definitively that mine is a congenital defect, since along with the defect in the bone, my nerve structures at that level of my spine are also very abnormal.  I've been told by 2 different doctors that I'm not a candidate for surgery because odds are good anything they try to do to "fix" it will only make things worse because of my very specific anatomical issues.

Like I said though, aside from at first, for the most part it hasn't been a problem.. I did a lot to improve my core strength after I was initially diagnosed (not right away, I mean once I could actually move without pain again) and it hasn't been as painful again as it was at first (I still have some pain every once in a while, but I also know when to back off, which helps prevent the inflammation that leads to the pain) and I've had very few issues except for the one when I was 23, but oddly that one didn't involve pain - I simply lost sensation down one leg and had muscle weakness that accompanied it, which is why I had all the additional testing.

When I was 14 I know I took time off the ice while I was still in pain, but I don't remember exactly how long.

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »
Sarahspins - a very inspiring post which I will show to my daughter. Poor kid she is continuing to search for music and still talks skating every day and we've privately wondered if she should ever skate again. 

She doesn't have an MRI until 19th of March although we could be phoned if date comes up sooner. (The surgeon felt her most likely diagnosis was Pars fracture). I have to say based on how tender she still is on the bone we'd be surprised if it isn't something to do with bone.

She is doing very fast (cardiovascular) cycling - about 10 miles in 25 minutes  - done twice over last 3 or 4 days. Funnily it doesn't bring her heart rate up that much which she says is frustrating - but - pre-injury in addition to skating she did very well at running.

Stretching hip flexors quite well so hope not too much damage. She is swimming a bit although swimming is something she has always disliked.

I just want a kid who sleeps 7 or 8 hours a night - not getting that yet and she's wondering the house quite a bit later than 10pm (making a noise)and up reading at 6. We see her bounce somewhere and then grimace and grab her back quite instinctively. She just struggles so much to slow down.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 02:48:42 PM »
Off ice coach's perspective is skewed...

Off-ice coach at rink things cycling is just about the worst thing in the world for skating.

Even if it were the worst thing for skating, skating isn't what is important, your daughter's well being is important. 

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »
I mountain bike and I find it really helps my skating.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
FWIW -- Many speed skaters train and compete in cycling events in their off-season. Must have a good cross-training effect for them, so why not figure skaters too?

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »
Bingo :)

I'm a cyclist.. it's what I do on the weeks I don't skate much.  I sometimes swim too, but that involves more effort than pulling on a pair of shorts and strapping on my shoes.  I live in the country so I have miles and miles of interesting roads to explore... to go swim involves a 20 minute drive each way so I only do that when the weather is too bad to go ride.

Anyways, I have a bilateral pars defect at L5 which means that vertebrae is in two pieces, and I do have some other issues in relation to it (spondylolisthesis) but it hasn't really been a huge problem most of the time.  When initially diagnosed when I was 14 (with a very acute onset of pain/swelling/inability to do anything but lay around and not move because it hurt so bad, went through x-rays, an MRI, steroid injections, etc) it was thought to have been due to an injury, which is very common, but further testing when I was 23 (two more MRI's, plus a myelogram and EMG) proved definitively that mine is a congenital defect, since along with the defect in the bone, my nerve structures at that level of my spine are also very abnormal.  I've been told by 2 different doctors that I'm not a candidate for surgery because odds are good anything they try to do to "fix" it will only make things worse because of my very specific anatomical issues.

Like I said though, aside from at first, for the most part it hasn't been a problem.. I did a lot to improve my core strength after I was initially diagnosed (not right away, I mean once I could actually move without pain again) and it hasn't been as painful again as it was at first (I still have some pain every once in a while, but I also know when to back off, which helps prevent the inflammation that leads to the pain) and I've had very few issues except for the one when I was 23, but oddly that one didn't involve pain - I simply lost sensation down one leg and had muscle weakness that accompanied it, which is why I had all the additional testing.

When I was 14 I know I took time off the ice while I was still in pain, but I don't remember exactly how long.

I have spondylolisthesis too. Mine is also congenital and appeared when I was 18 or 19. I ran HS track for 2 years and that is what we think aggravated it. What grade is your spondylolisthesis? Mine is a grade 3. I love to skate but I am afraid to attempt jumping. At almost 40 and with a back condition, it scares me. I'd like to test and at this point am not planning on competing. I could get involved in ice dance, but I can't stand the music. (sorry ice dancers!). Anyway, what do your doctors say about you skating?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 04:08:16 PM »
I read this and thought of you: http://starsonice.com/?content=skaters_corner&tab=skating_tips

The skaters offer tips on what other spots they do and cycling came up a couple of times. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
I have spondylolisthesis too. Mine is also congenital and appeared when I was 18 or 19. I ran HS track for 2 years and that is what we think aggravated it. What grade is your spondylolisthesis? Mine is a grade 3. I love to skate but I am afraid to attempt jumping. At almost 40 and with a back condition, it scares me. I'd like to test and at this point am not planning on competing. I could get involved in ice dance, but I can't stand the music. (sorry ice dancers!). Anyway, what do your doctors say about you skating?

Mine is only grade 2.. my surgeon described it as stable and that the slippage I have is the direct result of the defect in that vertebrae, and it's really not at risk of getting worse on it's own without some sort of acute injury.  I don't have any damage to that disk (yet?) and I don't have any physical restrictions unless I experience any pain or numbness/weakness like I did before (which would technically be more related to the abnormal way my nerve roots exit my spine, rather than my spine itself).  I can even do laybacks and they don't bother my back at all... but I have the core strength to support doing them without relying just on my back, and I've always been really flexible, which helps too.

Skating isn't really any riskier for me than just walking around outside is (what happened to me when I was 23 happened when I was standing still playing frisbee with my dog - he slammed into my knee from behind and down I went.. I actually thought I was fine right after it happened, it took me a few hours to realize something was wrong).  I think in general skating much less jarring on the joints (spine included) than some other things are, even with jumping (and of course, falling).  I actually feel like I'm at a higher risk of re-injuring my rebuilt knee while skating than aggravating my back issues.  I've had some hard falls that had me worried they'd be a problem, but so far none of them have been.  I've had hard falls off the ice too (I had two particularly bad cycling crashes back in 2010) and aside from normal soreness/stiffness/bruising/road rash, I've been okay.

I would say that unless you having ongoing issues with your back (I don't, it's really just once in a while for me), that skating should be just fine.  You'll know when you're pushing yourself too far, just like with anything else.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 09:16:10 AM »
I remembered this thread and just thought it might be worth highlighting that one of the women cyclists in the road race at the Olympics has a silver medal from the 5000m Long Track speed skating from the Winter Games.
Obviously if you're sporty with good quads there's little difference which sport you do as long as it requires strong quad muscles. I've heard previously about a rower switching to velodrome cycling, but this is the first time I heard of a speed skater switching over.
I'm guessing there are obviously similiarities in the muscle strength required by the two sports, although there's probably a few other bits needed to make a good figure skater.

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »
My husband keeps begging my daughter to switch to speed skating although so far she refuses to even try.

The cycling kept her (and us) sane while she was off and she kept reasonably fit.

I'm pleased to say she made a good recovery and thanks to a "corrective remedial program" from a sports physio (lots of core stability work)- is stronger than ever. Flexibility is not quite where it used to be - she is still slightly nervous to stretch her back and needs to get that confidence back. Also needs to get her hip flexors back to where they were. (Maybe cycling marginally to blame).

However she competed in several 1500m and 800m races shortly after being allowed back to exercise officially (i.e. other than swimming or cycling) and did rather well - qualifying for a regional event. We're pleased she did the cycling and kept a reasonable amount of cardiovascular fitness.

Also the doubles and double doubles are all back (not double axel yet although not really tried it yet) and I'm sure cycling helped. We're pleased because only really doing double jumps again since beginning June.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »
I know two skaters who switched to speed. I think they initially were doing both disciplines. One competed long track at national / international level. Apparently the speed skaters used to think it weird when she'd 3 turn on the blades.

Pleased to hear that your DD has recovered from her injury and that the cycling maintained her fitness levels.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 11:06:21 AM »
I remembered this thread and just thought it might be worth highlighting that one of the women cyclists in the road race at the Olympics has a silver medal from the 5000m Long Track speed skating from the Winter Games.
Obviously if you're sporty with good quads there's little difference which sport you do as long as it requires strong quad muscles. I've heard previously about a rower switching to velodrome cycling, but this is the first time I heard of a speed skater switching over.
I'm guessing there are obviously similiarities in the muscle strength required by the two sports, although there's probably a few other bits needed to make a good figure skater.

I know a lady who's a number one ranked cyclist both in track cycling and road racing in her age class (she's about 40) and she actually was speed skating at my rink for awhile. Her coach told her to stop because she's so competitive at stuff that she'd have a high chance of injury, and because she's pretty much got more power than technique. She's a 130lb or so lady, and can deadlift and squat 300lbs. She was reasonably fast skating, too, the only 2 other speed skaters at my rink are (relatively) old men, but she'd easily keep up with them after only a month or so of total time on the ice ever.

I can't really see cycling as being bad as long as you do stretching to make sure things don't lose flexibility from it. Me personally, I do powerlifting and Olympic style weightlifting to help with skating, the only problem I find is the added bodyweight, that comes mostly from eating a lot anyway. Other than diet issues (which I could resolve if I had more money) it's pretty good crosstraining. Cycling I'm trying to get back into for cardio, as I don't skate as much anymore, that and skating, since I have much better edge control and try to practice things (ie, I'll stay in one spot and do 3 turns for 5 minutes) it doesn't burn as many calories as it used to. One thing I do like about cycling is it keeps the knees feeling good, mainly because it just gets lots of blood flowing to the legs, to flush out stuff, but also more blood flowing somewhere, more healing that can take place.

As far as speed skating, I've tried it once, and it's definitely fun, but it's not the same as figure skating. It's very apples to oranges. The shallow grind on them, you step on the ice and you'd travel like 2 feet in figure skates, you travel like 5+ in speed skates, just because of how shallow ground and fast the blades are. In some ways, speed skating is more fun, but figure skating has the artistic and emotional aspect that speed skating doesn't have. Most figure skaters I've heard of do transition quite well, but yeah. So if your daughter doesn't wanna switch, that's probably the reason why.

EDIT:
One difference too, between speed and figure skating is, speed skating emphasizes much more the quad strength, whereas figure skating emphasizes the glutes and hamstrings more, mainly due to the posture. Speed skating you hunch forward, figure skating you're trying to keep good posture through everything you do, and then jumps, while the quads are important, jumps involve mostly the hams and glutes. As for core strength differences needed between the two sports, no idea. But there's a difference, speed skating you can have huge hypertrophied quads and it'll help a lot, whereas figure skating doesn't really use the quads as much.