You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Which off ice class would you take?  (Read 2494 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Which off ice class would you take?
« on: September 08, 2011, 05:30:44 PM »
She has a choice of ballet or a conditioning/stretch for dancers class.  What do you think would compliment skating better?

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: Which off ice class would you take?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »
depends...does she have problems with posture and expression? then ballet is the way to go. but does she have trouble getting height on jumps or making it through a program without panting? then try the conditioning class. assess her strengths and weaknesses, then decide what suits her better.

Offline KillianL

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »
If your DD was my own, I'd push ballet.  I feel like there is enough "conditioning" that can occur on ice (ie. mid and upper level moves classes, power skating skills classes) that the ballet would be more useful insofar as developing some of the skills emilayy mentions and others that are useful for skaters, like extension, muscle control, turnout, body awareness, and flexibility.   ;D

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:56:32 PM »
She has a choice of ballet or a conditioning/stretch for dancers class.  What do you think would compliment skating better?

I vote for ballet. My daughter participated in a conditioning class over the summer. I DO think it was a good thing for her and I think it did improve her spins as well as her jumps, but I can also see the need for ballet as well. In October, she will start a ballet for figure skaters class. One of the mom's is a dance instructor and has been given studio time so she can offer this class. She did a class over the summer as well, but my daughter only made it to maybe 3 classes, so I can't say how much it helped. LOL. She did take ballet for a couple of months last year and she did say she thought it would help her skating. I am excited for her to start this class. I had been looking for a ballet class that fit our schedule and would fit her needs as a figure skater. This new class will do that! Anyway, I vote for ballet!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:31:27 PM »
Thanks!!!  She is loosing flexibility (a growth spurt and no more jazz classes for 2 months).  She does need help with "pretty arms" too.  Sounds like Ballet will be the class for her!

Offline surlaglace

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »
Yes, i would go for ballet! Even my coach says that my lack of elegance makes my skating pretty funny and hard.  ;) And i think ballet is an amazing option.