You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Flexibilty Routine  (Read 3195 times)

Offline skater_princess

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Flexibilty Routine
« on: July 17, 2011, 04:01:14 AM »
I am unsure whether this has already been posted but i need to get my flexibility back to what it was and i dont know where to start etc. Does anyone do a daily stretching routine? if so can you post here please, also if you know any good stretches :)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Flexibilty Routine
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
When I was in ballet, I worked really hard with my back flexibility (but lost a lot of it after a herniated disc.)
But having a flexible back isn't everything - you want it to be really strong. I still have flexibility in y back, but I can't hold it on ice because ,y back isn't strong enough.
Here are some good strengthening exercises:
http://www.realsimple.com/health/fitness-exercise/workouts/4-back-strengthening-exercises-10000001722657/index.html
About.com has some good back stretching exercises here: http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/flexibilityexercises/ss/BackStretches.htm
I hope this helps...

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
i stretch for 5 minutes every day before i go to bed. i hold each stretch for 30 seconds. i start off with my feet touching and touch my toes, hold, then step out so my feet are a little bit further than hip-width. i reach to my right foot, hold, left foot, hold, then hold in the center. i move to floor stretches next, starting with butterfly, then touch my toes with my legs and feet together. then i do a straddle as wide as i can and reach to right foot, hold for 15 with right hand holding foot on outside of leg and left arm above my head. then i bring my left arm down to the inside of my right leg. i repeat this on my left leg. then i reach as far as i can to the center of the straddle. finally, since all of the reaching leaves my back a little sore, i do an upward facing dog and a child's pose.

i hope this all makes sense! you can always take classes at the rink, at the gym, or just ask your coach for some suggestions.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:38:52 PM »
Dd uses this - I printed it and reduced so it's now a tiny booklet in her skate bag.

http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/sportsci/stretch.htm

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:08:46 PM »
Thank you for sharing, everyone!

Dd uses this - I printed it and reduced so it's now a tiny booklet in her skate bag. http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/sportsci/stretch.htm

I like how they match each position to specific elements.

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:18:24 PM »
Good link!   :) The only incorrect one is the ITBand.  After you cross the leg behind, you shouldn't bend forward.  Instead, shift your hips laterally toward the leg that is crossed behind you, like you're hip-checking someone.  Bending over will cause the ITBand to roll over the hip joint and defeats the purpose of the stretch.  The ITBand is one of the most important muscles for skaters to stretch, as it gets very tight from repetitively stroking motion.
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 04:16:58 AM »
Good link!   :) The only incorrect one is the ITBand.  After you cross the leg behind, you shouldn't bend forward.  Instead, shift your hips laterally toward the leg that is crossed behind you, like you're hip-checking someone.  Bending over will cause the ITBand to roll over the hip joint and defeats the purpose of the stretch.  The ITBand is one of the most important muscles for skaters to stretch, as it gets very tight from repetitively stroking motion.

I just have to say thanks for that tip, I developed IT band problems before taking up skating & wondered why skating had never 'cured' the problem! It helps to know why this stretch never seemed to work & why skating never 'cured' it!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:04:03 AM »
They say yoga helps you with flexibility. I am new to yoga so I really don't have much to say first-hand, but I do know a lot of people who have developed increased flexibility after doing yoga regularly. Aside from flexibility, yoga also develops muscle strength.

I have tried Ashtanga yoga, which is a fast-paced form of yoga. It's the type of yoga that makes you sweat, so it's cardio, strength training, and flexibility training all in one. I heard Bikram is good for losing weight and for strengthening the lower extremities, but I haven't tried it yet.