You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: yoga and skating on same day?  (Read 2231 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
yoga and skating on same day?
« on: August 17, 2011, 10:21:29 AM »
Has anyone tried doing yoga and skating on the same day? I'm thinking of doing skating in the morning and yoga in the evening, but don't want to be fatigued too much. I might do basic beginner's Hatha or Ashtanga yoga (mostly Sun Salutations + some poses).

Offline davincisop

• Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: yoga and skating on same day?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:54:23 AM »
I've done it. If you've not done yoga in a long time it will hurt to skate but after a few times doing it it gets a lot easier. :) I'm getting back into yoga on Saturday mornings followed by teaching and skating in the afternoon. :)

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 12:06:49 PM »
i take a yoga class right before one of my freestyle sessions on mondays, and it has been really good! one week, the teacher asked us to set 3 goals for the week, and i decided that one of them was landing my 2sal. two days later, i landed it! i think yoga definitely helps with skating!

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »
I do P90X on the days I skate (do it during lunch and skate in the evening) and I seem to do fine.  In fact, I think I do better on those days.  Try it for a few weeks and if it doesn't work then you know.  The first few times will be tricky though so don't give up at first.

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:22:32 AM »
I didn't skate, but I tried yoga and I got very tired, so I guess the same-day routine doesn't work for me. Hopefully both yoga and skating will be easier after a few more yoga sessions.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:22:18 PM »
You have to get comfortable with your off ice routine before it's "easier" to skate and do off ice on the same day.  I started ballet this summer and I was exhausted and sore the day after for the first three weeks but then, it started to click and I could skate on the follow on day.