You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What is your routine before getting on the ice?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
What is your routine before getting on the ice?
« on: June 07, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »
During the school year dd gets to the rink and starts skating.  She warms up by stroking and then she works on mitf.  Then she works on her program and then jumps and spins.  The last bit is games with her friends (they call them challenges when one calls out a task and they make attempts and one girls gives feedback - they take turns with feedback).

I'm wondering now that it is summer she could get to the rink early before the ice is open and stretch and warm up.  How long do you spend getting ready for the ice?  What sort of things do you do?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: What is your routine before getting on the ice?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:29:12 PM »
Ideally I want 10+ minutes of warm up before stepping on the ice but it's often less than that (grr). Recently if I arrive early enough, I run in the lobby for 3-5 minutes, this often gives me sweat and faster heart rate. Then stretch everything I could think of for 3-5 minutes. Finally about 5-10 off-ice jumps, with 2-foot landing first then 1-foot landing. Not quite enough, but it's a matter of time and stamina at the moment.

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »
Ideally you want at LEAST ten minutes of dynamic type warmup before getting the skates on, and 15 minutes would be most beneficial.  Static held stretching should be done after skating instead of before, as it doesn't raise the temperature of the muscle efficiently. We have a complete dynamic  warmup program for skaters of all ages www.sk8strong.com/catalog/item/7395949/7718815.htm
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 01:59:09 PM »
I walk briskly for 45 minutes around the mall next to the rink. I go up and down stairs, a few times too.

Then I go to the rink.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »
For the dvd, is it something a child can memorize and do on her own? Her dad is unable to assist her in warm up and at that time I am at work.

She has a jump rope and will do it, but I'd need a timer or she will jump as fast and hard as possible and then say "I'm done" in 2 minutes.  :P  I'd have to write a list like "skip as fast 4 times around the rink" or "set timer for 10 minutes and try to jump rope without stopping until the timer goes off" for her to do it more than once.  She is sort of careless even in dance warmups.  She doesn't think it's necessary because she often doesn't feel the stretch unless a professional arranges her body.

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 03:44:35 PM »
Yes, it can be memorized.  It also comes with a 'cheat sheet' with the exercise list and number of repetitions for each exercise. It also comes in an ipod/mp4 compatible format. A skater can create a warmup of any length by picking the warmup exercises that he/she finds most beneficial.
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more