You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Query About Knee Health  (Read 11405 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Query About Knee Health
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 09:09:29 AM »
I agree. Those were wonderful resources.

It is easy to find Internet sources that say they provide medical info, like the about.com Sports Medicine page.

But those links were more authoritative than most, because the info is produced by people with real medical training.

I think these fall somewhere in between:

http://www.mayoclinic.com (my favorite)
  http://www.webmd.com (I'm not sure if everything there comes from doctors)

Offline sk8Joyful

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »
I agree. Those were wonderful resources.

It is easy to find Internet sources that say they provide medical info, like the about.com Sports Medicine page.

But those links were more authoritative than most, because the info is produced by people with real medical training.

I think these fall somewhere in between:

http://www.mayoclinic.com (my favorite)
  http://www.webmd.com (I'm not sure if everything there comes from doctors)
Yes, isn't it great....... that we can have Resources geared to different levels of learning, plus preferences.

reasons I Appreciate sites like:
http://www.nureyev-medical.org/ -- Dance-related
&
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=40699 -- off-ice Warm-up, Stretching, & Cool-down
&
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0901/p907.html -- KNEE-symptoms, pain, history, exam, X-ray & Labs, on Sport's Injury Clinic
amongst others, is
because:
1. They provide Clear pictures & I'm so visual, that everything I encounter, gets turned into a Movie ;D mostly instantaneously
inside my head in full Technicolor & Surround-sound, lol - or I need more explanations, so that I can.........
&
2. they Accentuate the POSITIVE: got a challenge? - here's some possible causes, & what you/personally can do to HEAL...

(whereas on other sites they post things like: "Manage-symptoms, Control-pain", & accept chronic hope loss).
I find that far less useful, because by its nature it LIMITS  :o what further successes people could -otherwise- look forward to. And I'm all about succeeding... in our beloved Figureskating sport.
&
3. By virtue of their CAN  :) DO attitude, they allow for the philosophy/MIND-practice I was blessed being raised by, starting with facts like:
* only one doc. in the entire town, so people naturally practiced self-reliant skills, and Independence...
* Outside (those who needed a bigger town's Clinic, or Hospital), after some days this one single doc. may (or not) make a home-visit.
* His entire pharmacy, consisted of a tiny bag of sugar-cubes, unto which he'd drop peppermint-oil, & you guessed right, the PLACEBO-effect ;)
went into full-gear, as irrespective of injury, he pronounced his magical incantation: "THIS is just what you need to help you heal..." -
You know, people TRUST doctors to KNOW things, so of course they Allow himself, or herself, to heal... &
with so much proof of Hypnosis working, the AMA couldn't help but accept it as an effective agent in their tool-bags, in the 1950's.
&
4. The specific sites that JimStanmore shared, also speak the language in which I was trained, & have been employed in for decades,
so I find them less watered-down, less filtered, less manipulated, and therefore less authoritarian.

I noticed you Query :) also mentioning this concept of 'authoritarian': Would you agree? - that, armed with more Awareness, plus a broader Model to operate from, &
partnering with other such Practitioners, people can make more of their own CHOICEs, their own decisions, for their own health & happiness.
Partnering with a couple MD.'s, ND's, LMP's, & others, I enjoy finding more... such practitioners empowering more mind. Does this seem like a winner to you too?  :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 11:57:08 PM »
Reviving an ancient topic. I am worried about sit spin and my knee's long term welfare.

I had knee problems from jogging before and it took a year to heal completely. Then I picked up skating and became obsessed with shoot-the-duck, doing lots of them each session for months. Learning sit spin was very natural but several months into it my left knee start to feel overused if I do more than 5 sit spins per session. I abandoned the spin for a few months after passing the level, doing 1-2 per session at most. But Coach really wants that spin in the program and wishes I start practicing them regularly again.

I don't know what message my left knee tries to get across right now. Unlike prior pains from  jogging, it just feels kind of wonky and tired, bothersome and persistent enough for me to notice for two days straight if I practice more than 5 sits. Not sure if it's something I just get over with, sigh. Maybe I should get relative quad vs hamstring strength measured as Doubletoe mentioned upthread...

What are your experiences with knee problems from sit spins? Thank you in advance for sharing!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »
Yesterday I spent a lot of time trying to do forwards and backwards shoot-the-ducks and hydro-blades (all the way down, just above the ice).

Today one my knees was sore, when I tried to do power pulls, or to do anything else that used the knee too strongly on the ice.

This is consistent with what the experts have said. I haven't done strength training for a few days, I am not quite strong enough to do single-leg knee bends, and a PT said I have patellar tracking problems when I try to push that. And I have trouble keeping my weight forward during shoot the duck and hydro-blade.

Of course, if I were sane, I wouldn't try to do these things in my 50's. On the good side, I don't have arthritis - yet! Perhaps doing "childish" moves like shoot-the-duck is a good way to get it.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »
Yesterday I spent a lot of time trying to do forwards and backwards shoot-the-ducks and hydro-blades (all the way down, just above the ice).

Today one my knees was sore, when I tried to do power pulls, or to do anything else that used the knee too strongly on the ice.

This is consistent with what the experts have said. I haven't done strength training for a few days, I am not quite strong enough to do single-leg knee bends, and a PT said I have patellar tracking problems when I try to push that. And I have trouble keeping my weight forward during shoot the duck and hydro-blade.

Of course, if I were sane, I wouldn't try to do these things in my 50's. On the good side, I don't have arthritis - yet! Perhaps doing "childish" moves like shoot-the-duck is a good way to get it.
Nah, use it or use it! I say use it and keep things "oiled" and used....there are plenty of other people willing to sit on the couch!  I have arthritis in my back and keep moving to keep it under control. The more I sit, the worse it gets.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!