You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Instructional Video downloads  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Jon-Ohio

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 8
Instructional Video downloads
« on: December 18, 2011, 07:15:38 PM »
Are there any skating web sites that offer free instructional video down loads for skating basics especially the turns - 3 turns, Mohawks , Choctaws etc  and other ice dance oriented stuff ?

I'm trying to relearn these after a skating hiatus of several years due to medical issues. I'm on a fixed retirement income and can't afford lessons any more so I got to try and relearn skating basics and especially the turns on my own.

Thanks for any info.

Jon in Ohio

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Instructional Video downloads
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 07:48:55 PM »
Myskatecoach.com has some good videos. I wasn't too happy with the dance videos though. Too much use of little kid demonstrators, and with short little limbs all in black it's hard to see what's going on.

If you get ten videos you can get 40% off. But, not free. I think there's another website that let's you have a 30 day free access for skating videos, but I don't know where it is. Bill or Jim or someone had a subscription and liked it. Maybe they'll post on it.

Most of the free ones on you tube are painful watching. Especially the ones with the woman with the hand mike. The Brit guy is pretty good. If you can find his videos. http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Do-a-3-Turn-in-Ice-Skating-517027356  Here's a list of his video series: http://www.5min.com/Tag/ice%20skating?CategoryID=0

If you find a good choctaw video, let us know. Choctaws are now my evil nemesis.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
Ooops I forgot. On youtube, there are videos of Usova and Zhulin demonstrating various dance moves. They're not all posted by the same person. Type in progressive (run) and you should come up with a list of them by poking around from the first one.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 09:39:35 PM »
I think there's another website that let's you have a 30 day free access for skating videos, but I don't know where it is. Bill or Jim or someone had a subscription and liked it. Maybe they'll post on it.

iCoachSkating.com  ~$30 a month subscription. Their homepage currently states this:

Welcome Adult Skaters...
Are You Frustrated By Your Skating Progress?
Improve your understanding.  Develop better technique.  Build confidence.
Learn Faster!

No ice dance on this website - bummer. It looks like a great resource of various drills before doing the actual elements, or fixing technique. Can anyone please review?

IMHO Usova / Zhulin series is very challenging for beginner...

Offline Harleyboy

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 57
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »
I am using the ICoachSkating.com web site and have found it pretty informative. Amy Brolsma has some really good video lesson about turns and she has helped me. $30 a month isn't cheap but I feel it has been worth the cost so far.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »

IMHO Usova / Zhulin series is very challenging for beginner...

I found watching Maia Usova do elements over and over again really helped me. I would watch them in slow motion and spent a lot of time figuring out all the parts. I can't do that when Coach demonstrates. 

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 01:01:23 AM »
Icoachskating.com will be putting some member favorited videos up for free between Christmas and New Years, so you can check them out.  I just cast my vote on my favorites :-)

I am a big fan of icoachskating.  I also used myskatecoach-I find it is very helpful to have demonstrations and explanations what to look for.  This way you can be your own coach when you look at your own videos!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:09:44 AM »
Icoachskating.com will be putting some member favorited videos up for free between Christmas and New Years, so you can check them out.  I just cast my vote on my favorites :-)
Prior-year favorite (free) videos are still available: http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=948.0
(2009 & 2010)

Will update that thread when the 2011 videos are available.  Hope some of them are from Page Lipe - she's just awesome.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Domino

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:54:32 PM »
USFS is now selling skating apps in the iTunes store.  I have checked out a few of them, while they are primarily demonstrative and not instructional, they are worth taking a look at.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 02:50:15 PM »
This is a really interesting video: he narrates it with great energy and intelligence.  I like the voiceover!

http://video.about.com/figureskating/Beginner-Figure-Skating-Spins.htm

(I really like the demonstration skater's hair braid - if she put a metal clip in the end, it could be a weapon!)

Hey - he has a lot of instructional videos online!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com