You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Creasing in edea ankles  (Read 2730 times)

Offline satxskater

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Creasing in edea ankles
« on: February 12, 2021, 09:50:16 PM »
I have owned my first pair of edea chorus's for a few weeks now and I'm starting to notice I am forming a crease line in the ankles. I've been having a tough time getting the skates to feel tight enough (which I hear al ot from people switching into edeas because of the lack of ankle tightness) I tie the ankles how instructed by my dealer which is snug but nothing super tight. Are these crease lines normal or a sign I am not tying properly?

I have also noticed that my left foot ankle seems to come unlocked at least once a session specifically. Not sure how to get my ankle more locked down as I do the entire mid section extremely tight. I considered maybe they are ill fitting by they were professionally done and measured but possibly the insole I got put it? Thanks!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Creasing in edea ankles
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 11:21:33 AM »
I don't own Edeas, but generally speaking, a crease can only form quickly in shoes or boots if there is excess room inside at that spot for the material to collapse into - in other words, a bad fit. You may be able to stop it by adding tape or foam (e.g., adhesive molefoam) inside the boot at that point.

However, they can also form if you use boots that aren't up to your level or weight - e.g., if you are too strong for lower end boots. Edea says Chorus boots are "looking to include double jumps in their routines". If you are above that level, or if you are a great deal heavier than typical (young) figure skaters at that level, that could do it too. I'm not a great skater, but I wore out a pair of low level boots that fit quite well in a few weeks simply because I was taught to do ice dance with deeply bent ankles. :(

Offline satxskater

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 05:11:00 PM »
I don't own Edeas, but generally speaking, a crease can only form quickly in shoes or boots if there is excess room inside at that spot for the material to collapse into - in other words, a bad fit. You may be able to stop it by adding tape or foam (e.g., adhesive molefoam) inside the boot at that point.

However, they can also form if you use boots that aren't up to your level or weight - e.g., if you are too strong for lower end boots. Edea says Chorus boots are "looking to include double jumps in their routines". If you are above that level, or if you are a great deal heavier than typical (young) figure skaters at that level, that could do it too. I'm not a great skater, but I wore out a pair of low level boots that fit quite well in a few weeks simply because I was taught to do ice dance with deeply bent ankles. :(

Edeas do have quite a bit of room in the ankle area do to their design which is why I questioned if this was a normal thing to have happen I am starting my doubles and axel and my vendor lives quite far away and I also do not skate more than 1-3 times a week so I decided the chorus would be able to last me through I am also quite small so I really do wonder why they are creasing like this well other than ill fit they are heatmolded and all that jazz too so if that were the case I would be shocked! I am looking into gel padding for my ankles just for extra support though. So sad to hear about your boots :(

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 09:01:00 PM »
I'm confused: you're showing photos of creases on the tongue of the skates, not the ankles.  If it's just on the tongues, that's totally normal. 

I tried on a pair of Edeas today and the tongue was incredibly straight and stiff.  They have to mold and bend to your foot/ankle in order to provide you with the ability to bend the ankle forward and bend the knee properly.

Now, make sure you're tying them properly.  They have their own way of lacing and tying.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkdngzus6QQ

If you don't do it this way, they loosen up and start to break down prematurely, according to the retailers.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com