You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea 240 vs 245 - which one would fit better?  (Read 2941 times)

Offline maeonsat

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Edea 240 vs 245 - which one would fit better?
« on: November 18, 2020, 11:47:40 AM »
I went for my fitting last week. I wore the thin skate socks. My longer foot measures at 236mm and I was fitted for 245mm. They didn’t have a 240 or a 245 for me to try but they said the 240 would be too tight because a mere 4mm difference would mean my longer foot would be too cramped in front. I could not fit the 235 at all - the back of the foot could not go in. I could fit an entire finger behind 250 on my smaller foot (the right).

Unfortunately there is no shop at the moment (it got shut down because of the pandemic) so the current fitters are all WFH and don’t actually have all sizes and can’t bring them in unless someone buys or orders them. I also don't know anyone at the rink who are 240 or 245. They are all either bigger or smaller.

Wanted to know what you guys think? Would 245 be okay?

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Edea 240 vs 245 - which one would fit better?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »
I doubt that you have given us enough data to guess.

The total length of the foot is only one of many parameters affecting the foot. The full 3D shape of the foot matters a lot, as do the points and degrees of flexibility. For example, if your ankle area is thinner or fatter than the boot maker assumes, that can big a big problem. One well respected fitter told me that the distance from the heel to the ball of the foot is typically more important than the total, because most boots bend upwards at the estimated position of the ball of the foot. An incorrectly positioned bend could lead to serious pain or injury, and, if you use "standard" blade placement, may also make balance and control difficult if the position of the ball doesn't approximately match the point at which the blade curvature changes. Heel height can be a huge deal.

I personally would choose a slightly large size - but that is because I am willing and able to reshape or remake the insole and boot in fairly substantial ways, using a variety of methods and tools, to make it fit, and am willing to use non-standard mounting positions for the blade, and to reshape the blade a little. Having space inside the boot means it is easier to reshape it. In contrast, significantly stretching leather is limited, tends to be temporary and in extreme cases needs to be repeated often. Non-leather boots may be even harder to reshape.

Exactly what is wrong with your older boots? (Assuming this isn't your first pair.)

If you have an old skate pair that is almost still stiff enough and fits well enough, maybe you can make do for a little while, until an open shop with the right sizes becomes available? At one point, I wrapped duct tape around boots to stiffen them - but I had to tear or cut it off every time I skated. I also played at other points with using thicker socks, and with gluing reinforcing material inside boots.

Is there another open shop with first class fitters within a plausible driving, train or flying distance (say, a few hours)?

Another factor is the fitter (i.e., skate tech). If the fitters you used are very, very good, they might be able to guess better than if they are average fitters. Fitter skill is such a major concern that many skaters drive for many hours, or fly half way around the world to get what they feel is the best available fitter. If I were buying today, I would probably do something like that, because my history includes serious misfits. I would personally avoid average skill fitters regardless. If you read past posts on this forum, you will find a fair number of people who bought 2 or 3 pairs of boots before they managed to get a reasonably good fit - and in many cases, that could be blamed on the fitter. Also, good skate techs can somewhat modify boots in certain ways - and are more willing to return boots that weren't built to proper size. I economize on almost everything - but boots are probably the wrong place to do that.

Offline maeonsat

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »
Hi @Query - Unfortunately no, there isn't another fitter within driving, train, or flying distance - where I am, we need to go through a lot of paperwork to even leave the country now because of the pandemic and we have to be quarantined in separate quarters for two weeks when we return, and pay a few grand for that. I SO wish we have proper fitters and if we did I'd certainly invest in a flight to get properly fitted, but we just don't.

These will be my first boots actually. I've been using rentals.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »
What happens if you order the 240 and it's too small.  Can your fitter send it back for the 245?  If you're in the same situation we are here in France, rinks are unlikely to open for a while, so you may have time to wait out the post.

Or could you order both sizes and just keep the one that fits best?

Offline maeonsat

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 03:57:54 PM »
What happens if you order the 240 and it's too small.  Can your fitter send it back for the 245?  If you're in the same situation we are here in France, rinks are unlikely to open for a while, so you may have time to wait out the post.

Or could you order both sizes and just keep the one that fits best?

Nah they won't let us return. I asked and they said no.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 08:25:47 AM »
Nah they won't let us return. I asked and they said no.

Oooh, I don't like that.  Sounds fishy, although I'm sure it's not.  Do you have any other purchasing options?  Online even, if they have a better return/exchange policy?  Hate to suggest that, because I believe in Brick and mortar stores, but I would be so loath to buy skates under those circumstances....