You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Bowie Ice Arena, Bowie, MD  (Read 6507 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Bowie Ice Arena, Bowie, MD
« on: August 21, 2018, 02:13:27 AM »
Now that I am no longer working for another rink, I went back for a session to Bowie.

I've always loved it, because it has a lot of non-busy sessions, and they do a very careful job of smoothing the ice.

I visited Saturday, on the 1-3 PM session. At most rinks, that would be a very crowded session - but it only had 15 - 20 people. But - it was a sunny day outside. Might be more crowded on a rainy day.

Name of rink: Bowie Ice Arena
# of ice sheets: 1 (indoors)
Parking availability: Excellent - but shared with a park. I had to take one of the more distant spots. I don't think they ever run out.
Mass transit info: Based on map, there are C28 and C29 bus stops nearby.
FS club and how active: There are both USFSA (Bowie Figure Skating Club) and ISI (Bowie ISI team) clubs. Don't know how active.
Pro shop: A moderately reputable sharpener, lots of equipment FS.
Snack bar: occasionally open.
Party room(s): Not that I know of
Other activities on site: Park with walking path, rented boats, soccer fields, park sometimes has concerts
Cleanliness, maintenance: very good
Bathroom status: clean
Locker room status: not known
Types of sessions: public, family, freestyle.
Club ice / guest policy: don't know details. This rink has a lot of sparsely populated public sessions (sometimes empty during weekday mid-day), so not really needed.
Ice quality: Possibly the best in the DC Metro area. However, it is slightly smaller than NHL size, so if you need a full size rink, it won't do.
Schedule: from web page - See https://www.cityofbowie.org/681/Monthly-Calendars for now
Cost: 6.50 / public session (adult). Discount cards available. Can buy whole season ($400 if you are not a Bowie resident).

This rink is one of the ones I have listed links and info for on my comprehensive list and map of rinks within about 100 miles of D.C. (If you know of any rinks I have left out of that list, or something is wrong, please tell me. It's hard to keep it to date.) (If my new hosting server doesn't work yet on your part of the internet, try https://v2zmv72tjzz3idhxlwxm7q-on.drv.tw/mgrunes.com/dcicerinksmap.html )

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: Bowie Ice Arena, Bowie, MD
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »
1. Yep, there are party rooms--and as the season grinds on there will be plenty of weekend birthday parties.
2. The USFS club is more active than in the past few years.  Mostly skaters join so that they can test.  The club holds several test sessions each skating season.
3. The ISI Team is very active.  This year a good number of team members went to ISI Worlds up in the Boston area and did well.  One of the synchro teams came in 4th, a production team placed 1st, and no doubt there were individual triumphs that I haven't yet heard about.
4. BFSC team ice was discontinued a few years ago when the team was in steep decline.  Since then, team members take coached  lessons during one of the several Free Style sessions which are typically offered in any give month. I've been known to sneak onto an uncrowded Public for an ice dance lesson.
5. Monthly session calendars can be found here: https://www.cityofbowie.org/681/Monthly-Calendars
6. Can't comment on the snack bar food.  I don't eat snack bar food.
7. Seniors can ask for the geezer rate (during both Public and Family Public sessions) and save fifty cents off the normal $6.50 ice pass fee.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Bowie Ice Arena, Bowie, MD
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 01:50:43 PM »
Thanks for the extra info!

I'm surprised the clubs are so active, for an undersized municipal rink, that is hard to get to from center city DC and from wealthier VA, especially since the wealthiest sections of MD and VA have their own rinks, and DC has one too. (I think DC has 9 rinks, if you count seasonal outdoor rinks - which I mostly don't, because they are small and unreliable, and some are hard or expensive to park at.)

But I guess the city of Bowie is growing. Which, along with foundation problems, is part of why they hope to build a two surface replacement facility in 2020-2021, off Hunt Rd near route 50 - and they are also considering building a Hunt Rd exit off route 50:

http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=8199.msg97572#msg97572

BTW, the current facility is near picnic tables in the park. Not sure about the future facility. You have to go a bit farther away to find a covered pavilion for rainy weather. And the artificial pond, where they rent boats, is pretty small. Last I knew you can buy a permit for your own boat - but you can only use it only while the rental counter is open.

There is a skate park on the adjacent parkland, where people use skate boards and inline skates: https://www.cityofbowie.org/Facilities/Facility/Details/11 but I don't know anything about it.

BTW, I hope I didn't just ruin Bowie, by sending too many people there.

The birthday parties will be a "problem" - that makes uncrowded sessions more crowded. Also, they sometimes conduct lessons during public sessions, and mark off a section of the ice for that. But, no rink is perfect.