You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Component Scores  (Read 1906 times)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
Component Scores
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »
I have to say, after watching a couple regionals (at Juvenile level mostly), I am getting a bit jaded over component scores.

I have seen so many girls with higher technical scores end up missing medals because others get over the top component scores.   Try as I might, I am not seeing this HUGE difference that these scores are showing.   And since they changed the rules for juvenile, it seems even worse.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Component Scores
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »
Well, at least with the CPS system, you see how the placements are determined ... under 6.0, you couldn't tell what part of the skate the judges wre rewarding or not.

I used to feel the same way about PCS scores - and I do admit that different judging panels reward different aspects of skating slightly differently - but, I started looking at "what" the scores represented and what each aspect of it means.  That and having a DD who is a judge (qualified to judge under CPC) helps.  Once I sat with her and looked at some of the training videos they use, and started asking questions when going to comps, I have a better understanding of what it is that the judges are looking for.  Made me a lot less confused with placements.

PCS scores are a winning factor for many skaters ... it certainly is the "carrot and the stick" for skaters who don't like to do edge work and footwork and transition drills in terms of getting them to do that "boring" not jumping and spinning stuff!  It also means that a really good choreographer (whether it be a coach or an outside person) is an investment that pays off. I'm seen quite a few "good" skaters who have been held back by inferior choreography, and some weaker skaters who have been helped by strong choreography that hits the PCS look-fors, good musical choices, and wise costume choices.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:48:06 AM »
Oh I agree on its superiority to the 6.0 system.   I tell my daughter to be encouraged by her higher technical scores as she is still working on the artistry aspect of her skating and is young.   It has indeed motivated her to hate moves less-- she is working on novice right now!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:55:34 PM »
I agree that the IJS  is more objective, but I still miss the drama of the 6.0 system ;-)

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 04:37:10 PM »
I agree that the IJS  is more objective, but I still miss the drama of the 6.0 system ;-)

I agree - the numbers thrown out there for scores in IJS are just as meaningless as the old 6.0, as it depends on so many subjective points!  So, while a string of 6.0s can get really exciting, a 29.4 is like  :-\ .  The fact that they compare scores from one competition to another is pretty silly too, as it depends on the judges.  It's pathetic when they compare them from year to year (like having Guiness World records give Patrick Chan an award for high scores?) as the rules and scoring change every year!

So, while it makes sense to kind of compare tech scores (at least compare the levels called, etc) comparing PCS of one skater from comp to comp makes no sense, unless one factors in the starting point for it all (what do they call that - base score?)  All the scores are really good for is to compare one skater to another at that specific competition.