You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: 2012-2013 USFSA Adult Qualifying Competitions  (Read 6946 times)

Offline icerinque

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
2012-2013 USFSA Adult Qualifying Competitions
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »
The 2013 & 2014 U.S. Adult Championships and Adult Sectional Championships dates
and locations have been selected!

2013 U.S. Adult Championships: April 9-13, 2013 - Scottsdale, AZ (Coyotes SC of AZ)
2014 U.S. Adult Championships: April 8-12, 2014 - Hyannis, MA (Yarmouth IC)
---
2013 Eastern Adult Sectional: March 8-10, 2013 - Ellenton, FL (Southwest Florida FSC)
2014 Eastern Adult Sectional: March 7-9, 2014 - Wayne, N.J. (North Jersey FSC)
---
2013 Midwestern Adult Sectional: March 8-10, 2013 - St. Louis Park, MN (FSC of Minneapolis)
2014 Midwestern Adult Sectional: March 7-9, 2014, Strongsville, Ohio (Brooklyn FSC of Ohio)
---
2013 Pacific Coast Adult Sectional: March 8-10, 2013 - Pasadena, CA (Pasadena FSC)
2014 Pacific Coast Adult Sectional: March 7-9, 2013 - Ontario, CA (All Year FSC)

For the full story, click here:
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48318&type=media

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: 2012-2013 USFSA Adult Qualifying Competitions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »
Let's hear it for Rick at North Jersey FSC.  Way to step up to the plate!  There are a lot of skaters in/around NJ, although the Wayne rink is a little off the beaten path, it's a nice facility.  (I used to coach there)

Is AZ better than CO for AN's?  No altitude issues, but what about the dry heat?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »
We'll be indoors and if it's too cold, you can go outside and warm up!!!

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:41 PM »
Let's hear it for Rick at North Jersey FSC.  Way to step up to the plate!  There are a lot of skaters in/around NJ, although the Wayne rink is a little off the beaten path, it's a nice facility.  (I used to coach there)

Is AZ better than CO for AN's?  No altitude issues, but what about the dry heat?

Actually, many people move here in order to breathe easier. In April, it will be very pleasant in the 70s and 80s. Inside the arena will be pretty much like being in any other rink, to be honset, as it is climate controlled. We have three sheets under the same roof, so outside shouldn't be too much of an issue.

We hope you can all join us!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:41:13 PM »
but what about the dry heat?

Dry heat is so much easier to tolerate than humid heat.. the body's natural cooling system (sweat) works most effectively when it's dry out :)  Plus it really shouldn't be super hot in April anyways.

TreSk8sAZ - Three sheets of ice?  Wow, that's awesome!

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
  • Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:51:57 AM »

There's a sports bar now on the 2nd floor ;)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »
There's a sports bar now on the 2nd floor ;)

Y'know, I don't get the "sports bar in the rink" concept, although it is common these days.  To my way of thinking, the patrons are ignoring their own kids who are on the ice.  Or worse, they could be getting tanked up before doing late-night hockey games or their trip home after a workout/game.  None of that seems like a smart idea to my way of thinking.

Nonetheless, Ice Vault is a nice two-sheet facility.  Unfortunately, they never have evening open ice when I'm in town - I end up at South Mountain or Dietl's because of my usual schedule.  I'll have to plan my business trips better so I can get in some major skating time, lol.  Last trip, I had planned to skate at the outdoor rink in Jersey City, but it was closed due to the unusually warm weather, so I hauled the skates for nothing.  (Glad I checked them on the plane.)

The rink in Scottsdale sounds great.  Having three sheets of ice available is going to make the competition less frantic.  I think there was a need for more practice ice at this year's AN, which is an impossible situation if you just don't have the ice to spread around.  Are there other rinks in the area as well?
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 08:57:36 AM »
Are there other rinks in the area as well?
There are (well, at least used to be and still have websites) rinks in Chandler, Gilbert, Peoria, and Phoenix which are all within an hours drive.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 01:04:53 PM »

The rink in Scottsdale sounds great.  Having three sheets of ice available is going to make the competition less frantic.  I think there was a need for more practice ice at this year's AN, which is an impossible situation if you just don't have the ice to spread around.  Are there other rinks in the area as well?

There are a number of rinks around the greater Phoenix area (travel times dependent on traffic):

Polar Ice Gilbert - approximately 1 hour away
Polar Ice Chandler - approximately 30-45 minutes away
Polar Ice Peoria - approximately 30-45 minutes away
Oceanside Ice Arena (limited freestyles, generally 5 a.m. - 10:00, but may be less, weekdays only) - 15-20 minutes away
Arcaida Ice Arena - (limited freestyles, but empty publics are available) - 20-30 minutes away

To get to most of these rinks is pretty easy highway driving, and the Polars especially have freestyles and coffee club (adult) sessions throughout most of the day.

Within the Ice Den are two restaurants as well, Over Easy (breakfast) and 18 degrees (more sports bar type food). Both are quite good. Additionally, there are a number of restaurants within an easy 15 minute drive.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:08:34 AM »
Y'know, I don't get the "sports bar in the rink" concept, although it is common these days.  To my way of thinking, the patrons are ignoring their own kids who are on the ice.  Or worse, they could be getting tanked up before doing late-night hockey games or their trip home after a workout/game.  None of that seems like a smart idea to my way of thinking.

I'm guessing you have never been a parent trapped at a kids' hockey tournament with a group of insane hockey parents you can't stand and two hours to kill between games!!
By the end of a day like that I could really USE a sports bar in the rink!!  ;)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 04:14:57 PM »
We have a sports bar at my rink now. It made sense to the owners because it's the only one in the area, so they can market the place both as an ice rink and as a place to come watch a game and have wings and beer. Of course, some hockey players and curlers drink before they go out on the ice, and nobody seems to care or think this could be a problem.

There are adults who drop in for a beer and use public sessions as a babysitter for their kids who are way too young to be skating on their own, and yes, it's irritating.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »
I'm so excited to see that the Yarmouth Ice Club is holding the 2014 Championship in Mass!!  YIPEE!!  I skate at the Yarmouth Ice Club pretty much everyday lol and I just saw this so I'm so super happy!!!  I know its a ways off, but I'm most definitely competing at this one!!

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but where is the link for the Adult Regional - non-qualifying for Eastern region?  I think it's in Raleigh.   Need the date asap for my work schedule....Thanks.  Also need the registration form :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »
Mod Note: Moved your post to the correct topic for this season and next.

There is no "regionals" competition for USFSA adults - the first level of qualifying is "sectionals." 
The hosts run a non-qualifying competition at the same time as Adult Sectionals.

For the schedule dates and sites, see the first post in this thread.

The announcements haven't been published yet.  The registration/entries have not opened as of today.
-- Isk8NYC --