You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Chicagoland Ice Dance - Great Saturday Ice Times  (Read 5751 times)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Chicagoland Ice Dance - Great Saturday Ice Times
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:52:23 PM »
Robert Crown in Evanston has given 12:15 PM to 4 PM on Saturdays to ice dance.  The ice is quite empty and we would like to recruit a few more skaters so it does not get taken away from us.  We'd particularly like at least one more skater for the 12:15 group lesson, which currently has more instructors than skaters.  The lead coach is Chris Hyland.  The class is mostly on skating fundamentals with possibly prebronze dances.  The practice ice (currently 1-4 PM) is all skill levels.  Freeskaters are welcome to work on stroking, etc. in both the group lesson and the practice time.

I think it's weird this convenient ice time isn't packed.  Also surprising is that we have more men than women.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Chicagoland Ice Dance - Great Saturday Ice Times
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Nick, tell me more!  What's the cost of ice time, and how much for the group lesson?  I know Chris, and would definitely consider coming in, particularly if my partner will come, too.  I have to drive all the way across the state, though, so need more particulars.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 11:37:26 PM »
All the ratios are so attractive, wish I could be there!!

Ice Dancing
Fee: $120 resident/$130 non-resident  Length: 10 sessions
322537A1  June 11-Aug 13  Saturday  12:15-1pm

1-hour FS is $7, dance ice is probably the same? (not on the wiki)
So dance ice IS more expensive than freestyle ice then.
1.5 hour FS is officially $10.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:44:34 AM »
Complicated questions, Clarice!  In your case, as a non-resident, the class is $130.  The last one is on August 13.  The 1 PM to 2:30 PM is $12 drop in (it might be possible to buy coupons for 10 sessions at a slight discount, or to buy by the hour as Jane suggested, I'm not clear on the policy there.).  It ends August 20.  The 2:30 to 4:00 session is presumably priced the same, but since the rink hasn't bothered to officially announce it and I'm not certain how long it will be available for...

We think these sessions might move to Sunday early evening in the fall.

More information
http://www.cityofevanston.org/parks-recreation/robert-crown-center/
http://rcskating.wikispaces.com/file/view/summer_2011_practice_dropin.pdf (scan of practice ice schedule)
Call 847.448.8258 to sign up

Jane, today it was all adults except the other Chris.  But I suspect some of Coach Chris's other younger students will show up other weeks.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 06:19:51 PM »
Unfortunately, summer Saturdays are super busy in our household such that I am still skating at either 6A or 7A. 

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »
We had around 10 skaters for practice ice today, which was much better, but everyone was worn out by 2:30.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 09:54:21 AM »
I can't commit to class :( , although I wish I could, because I wouldn't be able to make it every week.  I still might show up for the drop-in sessions sometime, though, you never know!

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:10:28 PM »
ACK! This is the first summer in 22 years I will not be visiting my family in this area!! Maybe later in the year...I would LOVE to skate with a partner shorter than my coach's 6'5!!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 12:24:46 AM »
If I lived in Chicago I would love to attend but I tell you that having to pay in advance would stop me from coming - it is a good deal I think but having to pay in advance would definitely be a drawback for me.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 01:36:05 AM »
but having to pay in advance would definitely be a drawback for me.

That would only apply for the class.  You can pay when you show up for the practice ice.  But it is slightly cheaper to sign up for the practice ice in advance, and you can sign up by the day instead of for the whole season during summer.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 01:44:33 AM »
If I lived in Chicago I would love to attend but I tell you that having to pay in advance would stop me from coming - it is a good deal I think but having to pay in advance would definitely be a drawback for me.

There is a drop-in option for my adult FS class. Check if it's applicable to the ice dance class.

Drop-in fee is a dollar or two more than the average session cost but then you do not have to commit to the whole session, just pay the instructor when you turn up.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »
The 2:30 to 4:00 session is presumably priced the same, but since the rink hasn't bothered to officially announce it and I'm not certain how long it will be available for...

It's all summer.

Offline Blondsktr1

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »
If there are any male Ice Dancers at the Bronze test level looking to parnter, I am looking too.  I would like to compete with a partner at Adult National.  I skate at Detroit Skating Club and would be willing to travel for practice. contact me at carolhuetteman@att.net.