You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: To blade or not to blade?  (Read 3613 times)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
To blade or not to blade?
« on: August 02, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
I am getting new boots in the next couple of weeks.  Here is my dilemma:  I have less than a year left on my blades (according to my sharpener).  I have had them for 2 years.  They are coronation aces and  the only ones I have ever had.  I would like to try some other ones, but not sure whether to get the new blades at the same time as the boots or mount the old ones first and once these blades go, then get a new set.

Here are some things I am considering:  
1. I will not be on the ice for 2 weeks, so will have a little adjustment period anyway, why not adjust to everything (ice, new boots, blades) all at once
2. I would rather not make new holes in the boot (even though the old ones can be plugged, I think, the new mounting can not be as good as the mounting on untouched soles, since there always be some old hole in the way)
3. I am itching to try something new but not sure if getting a whole new setup will be too much to adjust to all at once.

What do you think?  
p.s. have you tried Paramount blades (similar to CorAces) and /or Ultima Matrix Legacy in comparison to the Coronation ace? I am an adult with all my singles, working on axel and double sal, so siver level, so if you have another blade recommendation, let me know.  

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: To blade or not to blade?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:14:22 PM »
I just got new boots- my sharpener estimated a year left on my current blades, so I got new ones.  I figured old boots are more likely to sell with blades, and I didn't want to adjust AGAIN in just a year.

I went from the "mid level" (their lowest) Paramounts to the Ultima Matrix Legacy.  I have not skated on the Coronation Ace.
Before the Paramount I was on Mirage and then Used Gold Seals.

The mid-level Paramount was a very good blade. I like the straight cut toe pick and felt that it had excellent grip. They spun very well- very fast, and were nice and stable on jumps.  I was able to get them to "rip" the ice on like ONE edge of a forward crossroll- some people say they are noisy (scratchy) but I didn't hear a difference.  I felt like I had to get them sharpened more often than the Gold Seals, even though the Gold Seals were nearing the end of their life. 

The Ultima Matrix Legacy is FAR superior, IMO.  The blade is SO much harder (the mid-level paramount doesn't have the stainless steel blades like the high level ones do, but the matrix legacy does)- it RIPS all the time.  My skating has the most beautiful sound to it, and my coaches comment about what great edges I have.  It's a huge trick, because my edges haven't changed at all.  I'm spinning well in them (and occasionally get amazing spins).  I still haven't transitioned to good jumps, after about a month, I fall over the tip of the rocker- so I don't know if the front of these blades is very different, or if it's just a "new blade" thing.  The cross-cut toepick is not my favorite (gold seal had it too) it grips less, so I find it to be slidy.  My coach says it is better for footwork because it can grip from more angles, though a little less at each angle- but a straight cut has good grip only from one angle.  My turns do not yet feel secure- the same edge problem I have on the jump.

I would recommend the Matrix Legacy to anyone at the low freestyle level.  There are quite a few kids at the rink working on double flip in them.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »
Skittle, so how long did it take before you felt like the new boot/blade become your own?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »
Like I said, I still am having trouble with the turns, but it was probably 2 hours of skating before I was jumping and spinning again at all, and then another 3 hours until I was doing that at about the level I was before (still can't salchow for some reason).
I'm not very good to begin with though, so I think someone more advanced would do better.  I also moved up to a larger boot, so I had to get used to my feet not being crunched up...
I got them June 28th...if you want to read back the in my journal to see how I adjusted: http://skittles-skates.livejournal.com/

Lots of the kids at the rink get the Matrix Legacy (seriously 60% of our rink has them) and the coach hands them their boots with the blades mounted and they go out and do their lesson.  I had to go back to public sessions and swizzle and such...    

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:41:24 PM »
Not very helpful here, just sharing personal experiences.

My last switch was from Jackson Classiques (stock blade) to Jackson Competitor (Coronation Ace), while starting loop / flip. No adjustment period was needed, I started working on everything right away.

If current boots give up on me, I'd probably stay in Aces. They have an excellent reputation and I tend to keep what works.

Good luck.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:36:18 AM »
I am getting new boots in the next couple of weeks.  Here is my dilemma:  I have less than a year left on my blades (according to my sharpener).  I have had them for 2 years.  They are coronation aces and  the only ones I have ever had.  I would like to try some other ones, but not sure whether to get the new blades at the same time as the boots or mount the old ones first and once these blades go, then get a new set.

Here are some things I am considering:  
1. I will not be on the ice for 2 weeks, so will have a little adjustment period anyway, why not adjust to everything (ice, new boots, blades) all at once
2. I would rather not make new holes in the boot (even though the old ones can be plugged, I think, the new mounting can not be as good as the mounting on untouched soles, since there always be some old hole in the way)
3. I am itching to try something new but not sure if getting a whole new setup will be too much to adjust to all at once.

What do you think?  
p.s. have you tried Paramount blades (similar to CorAces) and /or Ultima Matrix Legacy in comparison to the Coronation ace? I am an adult with all my singles, working on axel and double sal, so siver level, so if you have another blade recommendation, let me know.  

I just got new boots & had the same dilemma-do I get new blades (which I would need because my old blades would not fit)? I ended up getting the Matrix Legacy blades and I really like them a lot.  I have the Jackson Premiere boots (I was in Elites-too stiff) and Coronation Aces and I'm thinking my rocker was pretty busted....I didn't find much different (besides the look) except the toe-pick is VERY SHARP. So be careful.

I am slightly below you level-wise (Bronze, working on Flip, Lutz, no axel on ice yet).  ;D

The way I figured-I'd have to adjust to a new boot, why not get a new blade too?
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »
There are pros and cons to both scenarios.  My 2 cents: if you change to a new boot model AND new blade model at the same time it can be more difficult to analyze any problems/needed adjustments with boot fit and blade alignment.  You really have no base line to judge from because EVERYTHING is now foreign. Maybe I'm hyper sensitive to this though, as I almost always have major blade alignment issues to figure out with any new equipment.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »
*snip*

The way I figured-I'd have to adjust to a new boot, why not get a new blade too?

This is my thinking too. I am just doing moves and dance right now but planning on starting up freestyle again in Jan and thinking I will need new boots and blades then. My boots are 2 years old this month and my blades are 5 or 6 (this is the third pair of boots they are on). I'm looking to upgrade only the blade though and stick with my current boot as I'm very happy with it. I skate in Riedell 2010LSs with MK Professional blades. I'm working on Junior MIF, Bronze Dances and I have solid singles/combos, basic spins, etc.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 11:28:13 PM »
Thanks for all your help!  I ordered ultima matrix legacy.   Unfortunately, the silver ones are backordered until the end of sep, so I am getting the blue ones.  My boot fitter said they are not too blue and almost as pale as the silver.
I like my blades pretty sharp, so it would be nice to not have to go sharpen  so often. :-).
  I hope my Riedell 875  boots work out this time: I have  sent them back and forth to the manufacturer 4 times!

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 07:53:24 AM »
I hope you have better luck with your boots fitting! As for the blades, yes they are much paler than you would think...gives one pause "are those blades colored?" type of reaction. I almost got the pink but thought that was a bit much for an almost 50-year old woman lol!

....but there's always next time!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!