You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ice dance book  (Read 9062 times)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: Ice dance book
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 07:26:55 PM »
Based on her Wikipedia entry, she'd be 71 now. That's not an impediment to coaching, but I couldn't find a coach with that name. Mind you she may have married, so I searched "Lorna skating coach" and only found them in Canada and the UK.

No listing for someone like her on facebook.

Thanks for searching.  Yes, some of us are getting up there.  I turned 70 myself last month.  I'm catching up with Frank Carroll.

Offline Resurfaced

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 05:41:58 PM »
OTOH, if you're way up the ice dance feeding chain and working on your Intergalactic test level dances…

ROTFL, Lutefisk! Love it!!

I actually bought this book new when it came out (it was always advertised in the back of Skating Magazine in the classifieds: "ICE DANCERS READ Ice Dancing Illustrated"… or some such). Had intended to take up dance and never got to it until (ahem) lo these many years later. I find the descriptions of common errors in pattern dances to be quite helpful. Not an entertaining read, more like a medical journal, but I think it's worth adding to any ice dancer's collection.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 08:14:08 PM »
I received my book today - it was signed by the author, who wrote a paragraph to someone she obviously skated with occasionally, then signed with her name.  The dust jacket condition is quite poor but who cares.  I have a few other projects before I can focus on reading it, but I think it will be useful based on the quick glance I took.  I need all the help I can get!

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »
ROTFL, Lutefisk! Love it!!

I actually bought this book new when it came out (it was always advertised in the back of Skating Magazine in the classifieds: "ICE DANCERS READ Ice Dancing Illustrated"… or some such). Had intended to take up dance and never got to it until (ahem) lo these many years later. I find the descriptions of common errors in pattern dances to be quite helpful. Not an entertaining read, more like a medical journal, but I think it's worth adding to any ice dancer's collection.

Thanks for you input.  I'm slowly chewing my way through this book.  While it is dated in certain respects, I'm finding it to be a useful read.

Offline Jon-Ohio

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »
Icedancers.com has a couple instruction videos available for beginning ice dancers covering the beginning compulsory pattern dances - might be also helpful :

http://www.icedancers.com/order-now-2

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 08:51:22 AM »
Icedancers.com has a couple instruction videos available for beginning ice dancers covering the beginning compulsory pattern dances - might be also helpful :

http://www.icedancers.com/order-now-2

Yes, I have those CDs.  Kseniya and Oleg's videos on youtube are also helpful, however I do like a book!

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 01:55:07 PM »
Well, by the time I took a look at this thread, the price for used had jumped to $20. However, there was a decent condition "collectible" for $14.50 that I decided to order. Interesting that the collectible is cheaper than the other.  They do have a collectable for nearly $50! Anyway, I have started my own notes on the different lower level dances from the online descriptions and watching kseniya and oleg. It would be nice to have them all in an organized manner and the cha cha happens to be the danice I am most familiar with,  so if it is missing, no biggie. Thanks for the recommendation.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 06:03:10 PM »
Well, by the time I took a look at this thread, the price for used had jumped to $20. However, there was a decent condition "collectible" for $14.50 that I decided to order. Interesting that the collectible is cheaper than the other.

Wow.  People are gonna start thinkin' I've got a stake in these old books!

Offline Lorna Dyer

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2019, 06:05:14 PM »
Hello,
Yes, Ice Dancing has evolved like all sports. However, some techniques have not changed. For example, pushing into the ice, leading with the knee very bent, pushing to the side and not
back, etc. remain as crucial elements to make one look like a dancer. Sorry the cha-cha is not in the book...it was not a USFS dance when the book was published.

I wrote the book to preserve the information of my coach, Jean Westwood the first world ice dance champion, and her coach Gladys Hogg both of whom produced many champions.

Compulsory ice dances are fading on the competitive scene so this information is important as young skaters will not be learning these compulsories and so who is to teach them in the future.
Sigh.

May you all enjoy ice dancing for many years. I am now 74, but still enjoy the occasional edge.
Sincerely, Lorna Dyer

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »
Hi Lorna:  Thanks for chiming in!  Rare to get a chance to talk with an author.  Don't be so glum about the future of pattern dances.  They will live on, at least for beginning ice dancers, until there's no more ice to dance upon.  Beginners have to start somewhere.  The kids at my rink (who rapidly advance beyond my feeble skill set) are still being introduced to ice dance via pattern dances.  Old geezers like myself still vainly chip away in the hope of passing one more test level!

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2019, 11:07:17 AM »
Yes Mrs Dyer- Thank you for joining us!  For what it's worth, I've been skating and enjoying pattern dances since I was a youth in the 80's.  I find that they have gone some way to replacing figures for me.  I now skate in France, and it's nice to have the "constant"- so much is different between the US and French approach to competitive skating in general.  These bases that are shared by all of us become really important when crossing between cultures.  And at least in France, the pattern dances are required for all the skaters up at least through their equivalent to our Nationals.  No fear of them disappearing anytime in the foreseeable future.

Like Lutefisk, I hope to continue skating, if not testing my dances long into the future.

Best wishes to you!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2019, 06:17:35 PM »
Wow, to be joined by the actual author. It's like God - or  perhaps his chosen surrogates, like Zoueva and Shpilband - decided to join the discussion forum.  :worthy:

Let's encourage Mrs. Dyer to update her book! If a bunch of us promise to buy an updated edition, maybe she will do it. I'd buy.