You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Are double socks bad?  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Are double socks bad?
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:01:12 PM »
We've all seen the prescription for skate socks: Use thin socks, or none.

It is supposed to be because socks that are too thick, or two layers of socks, will cause your feet to shift inside the boots, so you can't control your blades as precisely.

But does that really matter, or only matter at high freestyle levels?

I am trying to make do with new-to-me boots that are way too stiff for me.

I am experimenting, but since I am getting used to these boots, and new-to-me blades as well, it is a little hard to tell what effects are just from me not being used to the skates and blades.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Are double socks bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »
I skate in double knee highs. I have for years. I've never had sliding in the boot from that. My sliding in the boot is from the heels being too big.

Regular socks, like thin men's socks, might be completely different
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 07:43:36 PM »
I think double socks can lead to blisters. 
I am not sure how double socks would solve a stiffness issue, though?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 08:14:23 PM »
I have a friend that wears two thin socks on one foot because her feet are slightly different sizes and so she gets a snugger fit with the two socks.

A lot of women wear two pairs of tights - I don't know if these are footed tights or not.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »
I am not sure how double socks would solve a stiffness issue, though?

I was also told to avoid double socks because they would cause blisters, but I never tested the theory. I'd suggest bunga pads would be more helpful in too stiff boots.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 09:30:21 PM »
Why not just use slightly thicker socks.  Check out some hockey socks.  Agree too about the bungas, may help with space and cushioning at the same time.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »

In hiking boots, double socks PREVENT blisters - all the sliding occurs between the socks, not against the skin.

I tried thick socks today, though not doubled. I liked how they felt while skating - but I'm too new to these boots and blades to have tried jumping.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »
So far, double socks - thin dress or polypro socks on the inside,  thick squishy fleece ski socks on the outside - is working really well for me, even on low level jumps. Super-comfortable, warm, just feels wonderful.

That really snugs up the boots, and I made custom insoles and did a heat mold first, so they fit my feet perfectly. Maybe you only get slippage when you have a poor fit, leaving room to slip?

And it lets me, who can't do more than half rotation jumps at all well, mange to use a pair of slightly used, oversized high level freestyle boots. I bet they never wear out.

Everything - strokes, edges, cross-overs, progressives, turns, spins, jumps - works a bit better than on my old broken down Ice Dance boots that I used with thin socks. The only things I don't love are the 1/2"-short-for-my-feet Wilson Excel blades I've been using with them - I keep scraping at the tail, slowing me down, and twizzles are harder to balance. Now that I'm happy with the new-to-me boots, it's time to move the better-length-for-me Matrix 1 Dance blades from the old boots to the new ones.

This experience is completely changing what I thought I knew about boot fit. If I am willing to spend enough time altering the fit to work, and wear thick double socks, I can be very happy with too stiff, too large boots. (But I'm still hesitant to tell others to do the same, unless I am sure they will take the time to make them fit.)

Wippee!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 10:28:28 PM »
I wore a double sock (sort of) at my test & for dress rehearsal.  I didn't get blisters and I didn't slip.  I had on a pair of figure skating tights and a body stocking that was footed.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 01:11:10 AM »

There used to be a special sock made with two thin layers that was meant to eliminate blisters - so I'm not sure that it necessarily leads to blisters, however I would think in typical use with dress socks (or even thicker socks) the extra space that allows for two "socks" is what is most likely to blame in most cases, rather than the two pairs of socks themselves.