You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Best skate shop in NJ/PA/DEL  (Read 2937 times)

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
Best skate shop in NJ/PA/DEL
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:22:58 AM »
I'm running out of options for DDs used skates and my shop only carries Riedell and some jackson. The Jackson's seem fine but just would like to view as many options as possible because she has a wide forefoot narrow ankle thing going on. The Elle has been recommended before and I think that's the route to go but my shop doesn't even have one on the wall.

I know the Humane society of Philly has a shop but I need weekend hours (if I remember correctly their hours are limited). Thanks!

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: Best skate shop in NJ/PA/DEL
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 01:17:38 PM »
If you're willing to drive a bit Edge Skate Shop (across from Codey Arena) in West Orange is good.  I think they have Edea in addition to Jackson and Riedell.  Open by appt only right now, but including weekends.  I've also heard good things about the Ice House but I've never been.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 04:24:55 PM »
If you're willing to drive a bit Edge Skate Shop (across from Codey Arena) in West Orange is good.  I think they have Edea in addition to Jackson and Riedell.  Open by appt only right now, but including weekends.  I've also heard good things about the Ice House but I've never been.

I am going to drive her up there this Saturday. Its a small hike but I want to see what options I have in person.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »
I don't know much about it, but the pro shop attached to the University of Delaware has a great reputation.

Don't forget to call ahead - if you go to a pro shop for advice, and the main guy/gal in charge isn't there, the visit may not be helpful.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »
How 'bout the pro-shop at Skating Club of Wilmington?  I bought my first pair of "good" boots and blades there back in the 1970s (Riedell Gold Star boots/Coronation Ace blades).  Perhaps someone on this list has fresher info?

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »
The Pro Shop at the Ice House in Hackensack but they don't carry Edeas.  You need an appointment for a fitting and it could take a while but I would trust Jim to get her in the right pair of boots and blades.  And while you're there you can watch some great skating.  Or skate.  Or both.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »
Should I bring her current skates with me in case the blade can be salvaged? They are used but the blade may have some life left.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 11:55:50 AM »
I would always bring the current skates to a fitting.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 12:59:57 PM »
Bring them so the fitter can see the wear and adjustments.  However, one of my skaters just switched to Edeas and even though the size was bigger than his current skates, he needed a shorter blade.  Unless the boots are in stock, you'll need to go back for fitting and blade mounting so don't detach the blades.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:37:13 PM »
Bring them so the fitter can see the wear and adjustments.  However, one of my skaters just switched to Edeas and even though the size was bigger than his current skates, he needed a shorter blade.  Unless the boots are in stock, you'll need to go back for fitting and blade mounting so don't detach the blades.

I think this blade might be a little long for her, but the rocker shape is good because she is spinning better. We get to the point where the skates are absolutely perfect for like a month or two and then they get tight, so I am hoping we can get skates that accommodate her feet shape better or are punched out in the right places. Our skate shop is a bit small and focuses more on hockey.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 02:37:07 PM »
Harlick, like Jackson, is supposed to be a good fit for people with narrow heels and wide toes, and they have great custom options if you go to a really good fitter, like Harlick's own fitters ("Phil" seems great). (Edea fits with the fewest mods if your toes aren't much wider than your heel.)

But since your DD is still growing - custom skates can be expensive...

If you can't travel to the factory or to a competition where a factory fitter is going, but are willing to drive a little further, to Waldorf, Maryland, Skater's Paradise has one of the best non-factory fitters. But he works by appointment only. He has a small store, but does stock a fair number of Jackson and Harlick.