You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Beginner Freestyle Blade Help  (Read 1515 times)

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
Beginner Freestyle Blade Help
« on: December 11, 2014, 05:45:04 PM »
Question -
Ok, so now that the 5 year old is learning lots of things from the higher basic levels and lower freestyle levels, including the basic jumps (not sure if they are half or single jumps they teach first), is she going to need a blade better than a Mark IV or Mirage (stock blades)?

She is doing pretty well as it is, but not sure those cheaper blades are going to really cut it for jumping and spinning much longer? Maybe they are and I'm being silly....

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
Re: Beginner Freestyle Blade Help
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »
I know lots of kids competing successfully in upper FS levels wearing Jackson Mystiques, which I'm pretty sure have a Mirage blade. I wouldn't sweat it now. You'll have plenty of opportunity to sweat expensive blades if she sticks with it!

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:53:04 PM »
I got through all of my single jumps and well into axel work on mirage blades. I like what I have now a lot better, but those blades were fine for all the basics.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:40:47 PM »
I also learned all singles (and began working on axel) in whatever blade came with my Jackson Freestyles back in the day.  Like alejeather said, I like my fancy blades I have now, but low level blades are fine for single jumps.  Your daughter should be good to go. :)
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 11:15:08 AM »
Thanks.

There is not many kids in the high basic/low level freestyle ability range in my area - maybe a handful of 5-9 yr olds total across three rinks. There are a few at groups in FS who still wear Glaciers (which I think are Jackson's lowest models) and like the Riedell 110s. I would think those would be not appropriate, though. The other extreme is the older girls past the freestyle 1-8 levels working on doubles and they have skates way more stiff/advanced than we need.

I am sure her coach will tell us when her skates need upgrading.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 11:31:31 AM »
Your coach will let you know and will also be able to guide you to the right blade for her level when it's needed.

When I started when I was little, I had used skates for the first two years (mom wanted to make sure I stuck with it). When they were no longer supportive, coach told mom it was time to upgrade me to a stiffer boot and the Majestic blade (not sure if that's still around). I didn't upgrade until I was doing waltz jumps, but that was only because my used boots were so broken down that you could bend the whole ankle part of the boot (I remember those things because SO comfortable though!).

Offline ARoo

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »
It's pretty normal for kids to stay in the Mirage or comparable blades for a while after after basic skills and beginning half jumps/singles.  If you go up from the Mirage level in any measurable way, you'll go from about $80 to $200.  There's just not much in between that would be worth the trouble of a blade switch.