You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: At what point will I need better skates?  (Read 8252 times)

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
At what point will I need better skates?
« on: November 10, 2014, 09:54:04 AM »
The rink we take groups at is offering late night adult lessons. I can do up to adult 3 minus three turns, well at least not well enough to be considered good at them.

I was thinking about taking these lessons to keep up with my daughter and just be able to skate well forward and backwards and transition better because she can turn on a dime. I feel very comfortable with speed and forward cross overs and skating on one foot forward.

I have a pair of Jackson Artistes that fit pretty well, I could use a narrower ankle/wider forefoot split width I think, but in general Jacksons fit me well. I just don't feel "sturdy" on them, especially on edges and going in reverse. Hubby said I can do whatever I want ;) but I don't want to drop extra money where not needed. You think I can learn backwards cross overs with these or will I routinely fall on my backside?

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: At what point will I need better skates?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »
As adult skaters with bigger bodies, we typically need more support than the kiddos.  So, while Jackson Artistes are rated for beginners, they're rated for beginning children, which is why you likely don't feel sturdy in them.  I wear Jacksons too, and based on my skill level, I should wear the "Premiere" boot.  But, I've got a big booty and a few extra pounds and would break those down in an instant (I wear the Elite 4500s instead).

I don't think that using the Artistes is a bad thing and they certainly won't make you fall on your backside.  However, if you think you're going to stick with the lessons for a while, I would invest in a sturdier boot.  You'll likely still feel uncomfortable on new skills (we all do!), but the support will be better in the long run and it should make new skills easier to learn. 

Hope that helps!
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »
If I bend my knees a lot and bear down I can feel the skates gripping the ice much better and feel sturdier but I have weak ankles so I am less worried about falling but twisting something. Maybe I will try one session first and then see how it goes, since I bet the first few will be persons of all skills and it might be assessment type stuff at first.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 01:24:20 PM »
As a beginning adult you would be fine in a boot stiffer than what would be appropriate for a beginning child.  I think the best match for your level would likely be the freestyle, but I am not sure you can still order those in a split width - you may have to consider the Premiere.  Despite being meant for a higher level skater most beginning adults seem to do just fine with those.

I would make sure that no matter what you get that they fit correctly - not just "pretty well" - most adults tend to buy boots that are too big/long, and you really want to avoid having extra room in the toes, as that will contribute to all kinds of issues as your skating skills increase and your boots break in.  Your toes shouldn't be scrunched up in the boot but there shouldn't be any extra room either.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:37:32 PM »
I have weak ankles

I've always wondered what this statement means exactly. You're certainly not the first person to make such a claim. But if you can walk how weak can your ankles really be?

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »
I used to dance on pointe and have had my legs give out at the ankles a few times. When I was a child I wore orthopedic shoes til I was 6/7.

I've also twisted it a number of times without trying. So if its not my ankles its muscles directly above/below.

I've always wondered what this statement means exactly. You're certainly not the first person to make such a claim. But if you can walk how weak can your ankles really be?

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 02:08:03 PM »
As a beginning adult you would be fine in a boot stiffer than what would be appropriate for a beginning child.  I think the best match for your level would likely be the freestyle, but I am not sure you can still order those in a split width - you may have to consider the Premiere.  Despite being meant for a higher level skater most beginning adults seem to do just fine with those.

I would make sure that no matter what you get that they fit correctly - not just "pretty well" - most adults tend to buy boots that are too big/long, and you really want to avoid having extra room in the toes, as that will contribute to all kinds of issues as your skating skills increase and your boots break in.  Your toes shouldn't be scrunched up in the boot but there shouldn't be any extra room either.

This ^.  It sounds like you and I have similar feet.  I am OVER needing to have my skates punched out in front (it's usually quite a bit, if they fit well on the heels), because they still never fit quite right.  So I am behind SarahSpin's statement 150%.  A lot of beginning adults in my club are in Premieres.  I tried them on, they weren't stiff enough for me, but for a beginning adult especially someone with a dance background I don't think they'd be impossible.  You'd have to try them to be sure.  But to get the split width it might be totally worth it.  You'll be in these skates for a while I bet, so no guilt.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
A 7B (have now) fits well in the front part of the foot, but slips in the ankle. The 6 1/2B fit well in length but hurt my toes on the sides. But when I bought them in February of this year, the guy knew my intent was to have "better than rentals" but told me don't go trying to do any fancy tricks. I wasn't planning on doing anything other than skating in circles in them but my daughter thinks I can do whatever she does.  :o :sweat  so I thought it would be a fun way to bond since she always wants a skating buddy.

Offline Loops

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 02:20:55 PM »
A 7B (have now) fits well in the front part of the foot, but slips in the ankle. The 6 1/2B fit well in length but hurt my toes on the sides.

Beware- this is a common problem- going too long to get width in the ball.  It could affect your blade (if you need longer ones then) which in turn affects the placement of the sweet spot (=spins) and the back (an issue when you start doing back 3's....you'll get to those 3's I promise!!).

Based on my experience with too long but still too narrow boots, I would seriously consider getting something stiffer if it could accomodate my foot shape.  Now that I'm an adult, that would include customs but I cringe at that price tag- split widths will (hopefully) do me just fine. 

Whatever your intention in terms of manoeuvers you'll do in the skates, you're totally worth having skates that fit you correctly.  SarahSpins is in a split width situation too, so she knows of what she speaks.  If you're going to look at boots, then do have a frank convo with your fitter....

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 02:30:27 PM »
Yeah when I first go out on the ice with her, I feel less balanced but as I skate more, my foot seems to slide forward a tad by then I'm like hey, this is so much easier! Makes sense.

Beware- this is a common problem- going too long to get width in the ball.  It could affect your blade (if you need longer ones then) which in turn affects the placement of the sweet spot (=spins) and the back (an issue when you start doing back 3's....you'll get to those 3's I promise!!).

Based on my experience with too long but still too narrow boots, I would seriously consider getting something stiffer if it could accomodate my foot shape.  Now that I'm an adult, that would include customs but I cringe at that price tag- split widths will (hopefully) do me just fine. 

Whatever your intention in terms of manoeuvers you'll do in the skates, you're totally worth having skates that fit you correctly.  SarahSpins is in a split width situation too, so she knows of what she speaks.  If you're going to look at boots, then do have a frank convo with your fitter....

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 04:01:50 PM »
So then if you go the boot and blade separate, what blades do you start with? The artistes have mark IV's, and that is all my daughter has had up to this point as well, so in that regards I know little.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 04:39:57 PM »
Whatever your intention in terms of manoeuvers you'll do in the skates, you're totally worth having skates that fit you correctly.

:toppts:

Yeah when I first go out on the ice with her, I feel less balanced but as I skate more, my foot seems to slide forward a tad by then I'm like hey, this is so much easier! Makes sense.

If your heel isn't snug in the heel of the boot (the counter it's called) you'll find yourself limited because your heel will start popping out of the counter as you point your toe.  It will also happen if you try to do bunny hops. You may want to try a gel tube to fill up the space.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »
So then if you go the boot and blade separate, what blades do you start with? The artistes have mark IV's, and that is all my daughter has had up to this point as well, so in that regards I know little.

I would stick with something basic, especially if you are just planning to skate recreationally with a few adult LTS classes.  I don't think it necessarily would hurt you to have a blade that is too high for your level, but it's pointless to pay a lot of $$$ for a blade you can't fully enjoy.

I believe the Ultima Aspire blade can be bought individually (not as a boot/blade combo) at a fairly inexpensive price.  Rainbo Sports lists the retail price around $90.00.  That might be your best bet.
-Getting my camel back

Offline Loops

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »
That's something to discuss with your coach and fitter. No reason you can't stay in what you have.  If the new boots take the same length blade, then you can literally keep what you have! You can always "upgrade" later when the need arises. If you want to educate yourself a little, the recommendations on kinzies closet are a pretty good place to start.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »
So basically if the blade length is the same, take off the mark IVs and use those until needing something new/better? I can deal with that. If anything I like the dance moves - more my pace.

I do have kinzies closet bookmarked but it seems from most of your posts blades are a preference thing after you get into higher level blades.

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 05:21:41 PM »
So basically if the blade length is the same, take off the mark IVs and use those until needing something new/better? I can deal with that. If anything I like the dance moves - more my pace.

Yep, that would be a great idea.  Just have the person at the pro shop make sure that the length of your current blades will work on your new boots.

-Getting my camel back

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »
I'm in the "get measured" camp. I skated in too big skates for 12 years until I got my feet measured. I should have a 7B heel, 7C arch and 6EEE forefoot.  :o  Split last Jackson Premiers (lasted to 6.5B/D) are the best $$ I've spent so far. The blade/sweet spot moved from under my toes to under the ball of my foot. I was doing 3 turns the first time I skated on them and the difference was amazing. I'm having to relearn 12 years of poor equipment and it's not coming quickly.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Loops

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »

I do have kinzies closet bookmarked but it seems from most of your posts blades are a preference thing after you get into higher level blades.

If you can keep your blades, save yourself $$!!

I think yes, you're right about preference as you move up. Blades all seem to be shaped a little differently. So some are going to naturally work better with your body then others. Finding that match is what I think we're all searching for. Probably not much of an issue though until you're moving above the coronation ace/professional/aspire.  But this is what your fitter is for- s/he should know something about the different profiles and guide you accordingly.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »
Can someone explain why when I put my foot on the measuring stick I get a 7.5 on the woman/child side? Are the adult skates actually men's sizing? If I used mens, then the 6.5 makes more sense.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
Measuring stick for what brand?  Each manufacturer is slightly different, and so are everyone's feet.  I'm a 5 in Jackson or SP-Teri, but a 4 in Riedells, for example, and most shoes I wear are a 6-6.5.  And I'm sure other people here may find different brand's sizing different for their particular foot shape. 

In general, I try to tell people to go down one size from their shoe size, but that's only a starting point.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
It was a Jackson stick. I used the women/children's side not the mens. I am an 8 shoe, measured between 7-7.5, have a 7 skate and when I push my foot all the way forward over the rocker I still can fit one finger all the way down the back of the heel.

Measuring stick for what brand?  Each manufacturer is slightly different, and so are everyone's feet.  I'm a 5 in Jackson or SP-Teri, but a 4 in Riedells, for example, and most shoes I wear are a 6-6.5.  And I'm sure other people here may find different brand's sizing different for their particular foot shape. 

In general, I try to tell people to go down one size from their shoe size, but that's only a starting point.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 02:52:04 PM »
It was a Jackson stick. I used the women/children's side not the mens. I am an 8 shoe, measured between 7-7.5, have a 7 skate and when I push my foot all the way forward over the rocker I still can fit one finger all the way down the back of the heel.

I wear a size 9.5-10 shoe, I measured around 9.5 on the Jackson measuring stick and my Jackson's were 8.5.

That is, after I had a pair of Jackson's in a size 10 that were like clown shoes on me. It took me a while to convince a local vendor to order me an 8.5. I was convinced that my skates were more than one size too big on me. Finally, someone was willing to order me a 9 and an 8.5 to try. The 8.5 was the right length, but if I got them again, I'd get a split width. I'm now wearing another brand.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Loops

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
Can someone explain why when I put my foot on the measuring stick I get a 7.5 on the woman/child side? Are the adult skates actually men's sizing? If I used mens, then the 6.5 makes more sense.

JSM and Alejeather are right.  My old Riedells are 7.5AA.  I suspect they're too long, but split widths weren't an option then, and the longer length came with a wider toe box, so I could suffer less (esp. after punching out) and still have my heel held tight.  I'm an 8.5 in Jackson, but wear Risports (measured in mm- 265). My streetshoes are a 9.  I don't think the skates are a men's sizing or anything- they're just different.  Hopefully I will be able to get a split width on the next pair of skates.  Being in Europe makes things funny.  Funny like skate sizing. 

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »
You'd agree that being able to get my finger between the back of boot and heel means too big?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 05:01:07 PM »
Those sound like they are too big for you.  I can't imagine putting a finger between my heel and my boot - IF I could even get my hand in there.

I think part of the confusion about skate sizing vs. shoe sizing is that you would never wear shoes that are as tight as your boots.  So wearing skate boots would be like wearing a shoe size one size smaller than your actual size for wearing shoes.  For instance, I wear a 9.5 or 10 in shoes but my skates are an 8.5 on one foot and a 9 on the other (split length!) - but I would never wear shoes that tight - it would be too uncomfortable...

It has always been this way with skates - that you start with a smaller size than you would a shoe size.