You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Beginner- and differently sized Feet?  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Mint27

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Beginner- and differently sized Feet?
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »
Hello!

I am in the later US basics level, 19 years old, 5'4 and small-framed.

I have a problem where I have two differently sized feet. I am looking to buy Riedell 133's.

My street shoe size: (I give a range bc shoes vary)
Left foot:   6.5 to 7
Right foot: 7.5 to 8

I bought Riedell skates 6.5 that I have not worn to the ice yet (so I can return them).

Now I don't really know what to do. I don't have the money to buy custom skates or two pairs, and I checked with Riedell and cannot special-order a pair of different skates.
I am a college student so I will not progress as quickly through the levels so my Riedell 133's should be fine for now.

My only real option is to pick one size, and I chose 6.5 I don't know if I should exchange them for something lower, and wear a thick sock on my small foot. What do you guys think I should do?  :blush:

I am not looking to be competitive but skate for fun, however I would still like to progress into doing spins and jumps and having two differently sized feet gives me a lot of issues.

19 y/o, Summer 2014

short-term Goals:
* perfect my stroking, look confident on the ice with power and speed
* reach Freestyle 1
* increase my flexibility in back and legs
* increase my overall body strength

long-term Goals:
* be flexible enough to do a Biellmann
* do double jumps & combo spins

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Beginner- and differently sized Feet?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »
If you bought,say the boots that fit the larger foot, you can always put a thicker insole in the boot for the small foot. THat will push the small foot up into the boot and your foot won't slide around.
Although everyone says 'don't skate in thick socks' I don't see any reason you couldn't try a variety of socks for the larger boot/smaller foot combination until you found one that worked (when combined with the thicker insole).

If you buy the small boots and take out the insole for the larger foot, and it doesn't work, you might not be able to skate in them at all.

If you feel any pressure at all on the large toenail of the larger foot in the smaller boot that can be a danger sign. I had a boot that was a fraction too small for one foot and it eventually made my toenail split down the middle after several weeks of skating. I could not return them, and not skate in them.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »
My grandson has the same problem. His left foot is at least a full size bigger, both longer and in bulk.

I'd suggest getting the bigger size and padding the smaller one. Just make sure on the smaller foot that the rocker/sweet spot is in the right spot under the ball of your foot.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 01:02:52 AM »
I agree about the bigger size. Are you able to see a fitter in your area? I recently discovered that my riedell 133s were much too large! I normally wear a size 5.5-6 shoe, and was wearing size 5.5 skates. I got fitted and bought a size 4.5 riedell skate!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 01:26:50 AM »
Although everyone says 'don't skate in thick socks' I don't see any reason you couldn't try a variety of socks for the larger boot/smaller foot combination until you found one that worked

There is a good reason why people do not skate in thick socks:  It is very painful.  However, you can certainly try out a variety of socks.

Mint27:

Another filler you might consider is bunga pads.

Did you consider buying two pairs of used skates?

Ill-fitting skates may make you miserable and might even cause serious injury.

I agree you should find a good fitter.  Ask coaches about the best fitters.

I am a college student so I will not progress as quickly through the levels so my Riedell 133's should be fine for now.

That may or may not be true, depending on your fitness and how often you practice.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »
I am the same as you - in street shoes I wear a 6.5 on one foot and 7.5 - 8 on the other. I got boots that fit the larger foot and I use a combination of slightly thicker socks, bunga pads and cotton wool to take up the extra space.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 10:33:23 AM »
When I had skates that were a little loose, I wore Smartwool socks. They took up the extra room but they did not rub at all. You can buy them at REI or other outdoor stores year round, but they're pricey. You can find them MUCH cheaper at Costco, but generally only in the cooler months. You don't have to get the Smartwool brand. As long as they are performance wool, they will do the job.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Mint27

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
That may or may not be true, depending on your fitness and how often you practice.

Well I only have the time and money to skate once a week, not really sure what ill do once I complete the LTS basics.
I am determined to learn spins and jumps even if it takes me an eternity lol
19 y/o, Summer 2014

short-term Goals:
* reach Freestyle 1

long-term Goals:

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »
Well I only have the time and money to skate once a week, not really sure what ill do once I complete the LTS basics.
I am determined to learn spins and jumps even if it takes me an eternity lol
Aww, I'm sure it won't take an eternity :) If you are coordinated or athletic, that already is a good start. If you've skated before or even rollerbladed, that will be a good start. Have the LTS classes started yet?

Does your school have a rink? I've heard of some college rinks having less expensive public skates, etc. Or even, does your school have a skating class? I know my fiance's mom took a skating class in college at University of Illinois :) Might be a fun elective to take if it is offered, and that will get you more ice time too.

Just make sure your skates are fitted properly first - I was shocked to realize how incorrect my sizes were haha.

Offline Mint27

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 11:14:39 PM »
Aww, I'm sure it won't take an eternity :) If you are coordinated or athletic, that already is a good start. If you've skated before or even rollerbladed, that will be a good start. Have the LTS classes started yet?

Does your school have a rink? I've heard of some college rinks having less expensive public skates, etc. Or even, does your school have a skating class? I know my fiance's mom took a skating class in college at University of Illinois :) Might be a fun elective to take if it is offered, and that will get you more ice time too.

Just make sure your skates are fitted properly first - I was shocked to realize how incorrect my sizes were haha.

I used to skate a bit when I was young, made it to FS1 and still retained many of the skills :) My LTS classes start in july although I wont be able to stay the entire length of them as I am flying back to my college land after the summer. I'm quite curious to see where precisely I am now, I assume somewhere in the basics, although I'll see.

Unfortunately, my school does not have a skating rink. That'd be incredible! However in NYC there are plenty of ice rinks in vicinity :)
19 y/o, Summer 2014

short-term Goals:
* reach Freestyle 1

long-term Goals:

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:37:56 PM »

I used to skate a bit when I was young, made it to FS1 and still retained many of the skills :) My LTS classes start in july although I wont be able to stay the entire length of them as I am flying back to my college land after the summer. I'm quite curious to see where precisely I am now, I assume somewhere in the basics, although I'll see.

Unfortunately, my school does not have a skating rink. That'd be incredible! However in NYC there are plenty of ice rinks in vicinity :)

Oh awesome, where are you going to school? I went to nyu :) now I'm in the Chicago suburbs not too far from where I grew up :)

I was on a similar level when I stopped skating as a kid. I started skating again in LTS class the last wk of February. I was taking once a wk class, and I think it took me a few sessions on ice (whether in class or not) to feel totally comfortable.

I think I had more trouble mentally with catching up on my old skills. A lot of the, "oh I hate this direction/ I just can't do it" thing that initially prevented skills from even happening.

I skated once a wk for my class in march and April, and probably managed to get to like ... 4 public sessions at best in all that time. I've skated a bit more this month but I feel like I've made good progress in only 3 months back on ice - actually, I posted videos in the video vault board if you're curious. the point is, I think you could get right back to where you were!

Since it is summer, could you manage a public session once a week or something like that? Bummer your class doesn't start till July - most of the rinks around here have classes starting again the week after next.

Sorry I went on a huge tangent, but I got excited lol. Anyway, I saw you posted your skate question on another forum and got a lot of suggestions to get fitted properly and/or get customs. I know you mentioned budget is a concern, but is this something your parents could possibly help with? Or at least front the $$ and then you could commit to monthly payments to them or something like that?

Also, you could get into contact with rainbo sports - I've heard people have done fittings by email - if you don't have a great fitter in your area

Oh, I was looking for a friend and they seem to have great adult classes at Chelsea piers for when you go back to school :)

Offline Mint27

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 11:51:16 PM »

Oh awesome, where are you going to school? I went to nyu :) now I'm in the Chicago suburbs not too far from where I grew up :)

I was on a similar level when I stopped skating as a kid. I started skating again in LTS class the last wk of February. I was taking once a wk class, and I think it took me a few sessions on ice (whether in class or not) to feel totally comfortable.

I think I had more trouble mentally with catching up on my old skills. A lot of the, "oh I hate this direction/ I just can't do it" thing that initially prevented skills from even happening.

I skated once a wk for my class in march and April, and probably managed to get to like ... 4 public sessions at best in all that time. I've skated a bit more this month but I feel like I've made good progress in only 3 months back on ice - actually, I posted videos in the video vault board if you're curious. the point is, I think you could get right back to where you were!

Since it is summer, could you manage a public session once a week or something like that? Bummer your class doesn't start till July - most of the rinks around here have classes starting again the week after next.

Sorry I went on a huge tangent, but I got excited lol. Anyway, I saw you posted your skate question on another forum and got a lot of suggestions to get fitted properly and/or get customs. I know you mentioned budget is a concern, but is this something your parents could possibly help with? Or at least front the $$ and then you could commit to monthly payments to them or something like that?

Also, you could get into contact with rainbo sports - I've heard people have done fittings by email - if you don't have a great fitter in your area

Oh, I was looking for a friend and they seem to have great adult classes at Chelsea piers for when you go back to school :)

Omg really? I completely understand the whole "I hate this direction" thing LOL. I am actually terrified of trying anything new without lesson, as I fear I will learn it the wrong way. I have actually injured myself pretty seriously attempting a toe loop lol so now that I am near healed I will take my time.

I'm new to the forum so I'll look out for your video on the video vault! I'd love to see :)

The once-a-week thing I can do, but unfortunately it is unlikely for me to get more ice time. As for the skates, I cannot get customs or special order just yet :( it is a money issue, although in a few years (maybe even next! :D) I will be able to pay for it on my own. As I mentioned the bad-habit thing, (I am ambidextrous) I think I will teach myself to spin and jump the other way once my classes start (my larger foot that actually fits well is not the one I'd naturally use to spin or jump). 

lol now I went off on a tangent. oops.

As for rainbo sports and chelsea piers, I'll definitely check it out! Thank you!!!  ;D
19 y/o, Summer 2014

short-term Goals:
* reach Freestyle 1

long-term Goals:

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 01:15:58 AM »

Omg really? I completely understand the whole "I hate this direction" thing LOL. I am actually terrified of trying anything new without lesson, as I fear I will learn it the wrong way. I have actually injured myself pretty seriously attempting a toe loop lol so now that I am near healed I will take my time.

I'm new to the forum so I'll look out for your video on the video vault! I'd love to see :)

The once-a-week thing I can do, but unfortunately it is unlikely for me to get more ice time. As for the skates, I cannot get customs or special order just yet :( it is a money issue, although in a few years (maybe even next! :D) I will be able to pay for it on my own. As I mentioned the bad-habit thing, (I am ambidextrous) I think I will teach myself to spin and jump the other way once my classes start (my larger foot that actually fits well is not the one I'd naturally use to spin or jump). 

lol now I went off on a tangent. oops.

As for rainbo sports and chelsea piers, I'll definitely check it out! Thank you!!!  ;D

Good luck!! Let me know how it goes! I know there are tons of comments on this board about rainbo :) maybe worthwhile just to reach out to fitters to get an idea, so at the very least you know what to save for in the future

I'm the same about not wanting to teach myself things. Probably a good thing.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 10:21:54 PM »
So I saw your thread about guards... What skates and size did you finally decide on? :)

Offline Mint27

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 10:50:46 PM »
So I saw your thread about guards... What skates and size did you finally decide on? :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I ended up with a Riedell 6! Ordering two pairs or getting custom made/special order isn't an option for me money-wise, especially since I'm just starting out. My 6.5's didn't feel right on either foot so I went back and tried a smaller size, ended up being wonderful! Neither foot feels lose, however I do worry about the small one...I noticed when I do forward strokes that my smaller foot doesn't do them as smooth as my larger foot. lol omg sorry for all the wordiness but thanks for checking up!!!  :blush:
19 y/o, Summer 2014

short-term Goals:
* reach Freestyle 1

long-term Goals:

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 10:52:30 PM »
No problem! So glad the smaller size worked better